Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theatre Volume (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Theatre Volume
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2001 05:27 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So in general in the USA do cinemas play films at the correct volume.

Saturday night I went to Along came a Spider and got my ears blasted off.
Sunday night I went to Autumn in New York and had to pay close attention into trying to listen to the speech.

------------------
------------------
Michael Brown
Bradford Student Cinema
www.bradfordstudentcinema.co.uk

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2001 09:59 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on if you spent the right amount for the proper equipment. I don't know about most theatres but we set our sound at 5.0 on our non digital processors and 5.5 on our digitals. Thats a little bit below the recomended 7.0, but thats an arbitrary number in my opinion anyway. Theatre volume depends on one thing -- What do the customers want? Most middle age-ers and old people don't care about sound that much. "I just want to hear it" is usually the comment we get when we tell them their film is in a digital house. Young kids and Gen-X'ers like a lot of noise so we usually crank up the volume a half click or so. The key is remembering to check the sound quality and volume on Thursday nights just like you check your lenses and apertures after moving prints. We seat a little over 2000 people a week. Out of that I might get one or two sound complaint(s). I'll catch some flak for this, but it all hinges on your demographic, what does your customer want?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2001 02:30 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,

If a theater is weel calibrated to 7, 5 IMHO is more than "a little bit below" the recommended volume. I would turn down to 6 at maximum if there were big problems with a particular audience but only in particular situation!!!
Also, I think that if a movie is well recorded, 7 is ALWAYS the correct volume. If the film is intended for old people, it will not have sound effects and the dialogue's level will be perfect at 7.
After the last equalization (very good IMHO) I never had the need to turn the volume below my calibrated level and sound compliances were minimal.
I've projected Pearl Harbor in a THX theater. For my ears 7.5 was perfect but also 7 could be perfect. For many reasons we had to turn down the volume to 6. It was too low for my concept of "movie theater".

Bye
Antonio

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to disagree on the 7. We normally run out theatres at 5.0 on the weekdays, and between 5-6 on the weekends for the new movies. For kids movies we tend to raise it since they make a bit more noise, but we almost *never* go over 6, as it is just WAY too loud. 5.5 is very very comfortable in our theatre and we receive no complaints at all.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-18-2001 06:26 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true that 7 (at least on Dolby units) is supposed to be the correct setting, but almost all of the theaters I've seen run it lower.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2001 07:47 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason that you find a lot of systems running lower than seven, even those that are calibrated correctly, is do to these facts.

When the standard was set up by dolby you had a lot of auditoriums that held 600 700 as well as more than a thousand people in them. A lot of these theaters were not accustically able to handle sound without some kind of loss in quality.

Speaker systems at the time were not what they are now. What we have now can produce better and more audible sound.

Better mixing and productions of soundtracks.

Higher quality amps to handle the power to run the channels.

The problem is not in what we are doing it is the fact that the standard fader setting is based on 1970's information and situations.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-18-2001 09:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on the EQ. If you have a super crappy EQ, a volume level of "7" will seem way too harsh. If you have a truly smooth and proper EQ, then that volume level should be comfortable for most purposes, unless you have a very small crowd. And even then it should still sound good.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-18-2001 09:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it boils down to what the engineer's preference was when he set the output levels on the EQ cards. I referenced mine as close to "7" as possible. I like standardization.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2001 09:34 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or it could be possibly related to the length of time since the installing technician last calibrated his/her sound pressure level meter.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-18-2001 10:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick, you got that right!!!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-18-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It is generally due to the technician not setting up the system properly if you have to run any lower than 6.5, plain and simple. Sound level is sound level, regardless of auditorium size. The all important thing to note here is the proper balancing of the channels and a good EQ. Never have I heard a good EQ on a system where the tech dialed things to "the line" and walked away. Larger and smaller rooms require different levels of high frequency rolloff and if the tech does not adjust that accordingly, the sound will appear "way too loud" and "harsh" and will end up having to be played at 5. This is an improperly calibrated system any way you slice it. Unfortunately, I see it all the time.

Something I have been seeing a lot of as lately is improper balancing between the channels. I know of at least one tech who is quite old and has lost a substantial amount of his hearing (but of course won't admit it) and his complaints are that there is too much bass and the dialogue is buried in music and sound effects. What does he do? Why he adjusts the systems for HIS impaired hearing, of course! Check these SPL levels out after his calibration...

LEFT...85db
CENTER...93db
RIGHT...85db
LEFT SURR...79db
RIGHT SURR...79db
SUBWOOFER...74db

Anyone else care to comment on why these settings are horribly wrong? I would like to hear what other sound techs think of this. The systems are being played at 4.5 to 5 (because the level must be set upon dialogue) and they play like mono sound systems now.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-19-2001 12:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who sets their systems up with THOSE levels has no business in the cinema industry whatsoever. It is obvious that this person doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing. My question is - How do such morons get jobs in the industry to begin with? Can't we screen for stupidity at the door?

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of another tech that sets levels according to his impaired hearing. He can't even hear the continuity buzz on his meter. I also heard that he fell asleep in Pearl Harbor and slept throught the attack. I don't know how you could do that.

But at the theatre I am at now, it is not due to incorrect EQ or SPL, it is because the people in that town complain for every little thing. Which in reality is probably only about 6 people. The other day I found Pearl set to 4.5 on the fader. At that level, what does it matter, you can barely hear it.

Part problem lies in placating the few people that complain. The other part is the sound mixers that keep turning things up. It seems that the worse the movie is the louder they record it. Like that makes it a better movie.

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2001 01:51 AM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad!!!

I recommend 20 lashings and a 7 year stint at a dollar house for that technician!!! Good God !!! I cant believe this volume thing seems to be such an ordeal.....from what ive seen the following is true....

-Proper calibration of microphones to be used for room B-chain.
-A multiplexing spectrum analyzer is recommended for best results.
-Proper speaker placement and positioning/aiming along with correct crossover/amplification is also a must!!
-Correct spl levels along with SMPTE/THX recommended frequency response.

Despite all of the correct procedures to setting your theater audio to be correspondent with the industry standards and to be representative of what one hears at the mixing studio....The volume is still turned down!!!! Sometimes you can get away with having the fader at 7.0 <like a starwars movie or the contender> but generally complaints keep em down. There is not much more to this volume dilema than just plain that. Until the industry figures out as a whole a true solution other than just testing trailers....i would venture to say that the volume "what r your faders set at?" dilema is here to stay.

Rory

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-19-2001 02:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well perhaps the sound mixers are going deaf listening to all of that loud sound everyday, so they have to compensate. Or maybe not, but I always wonder about fun things like that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: