Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Documentary Film on Projectionists

Author Topic: Documentary Film on Projectionists
Gabriel Rhodes
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2001 11:21 AM      Profile for Gabriel Rhodes   Email Gabriel Rhodes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,
I am an independent documentary filmmaker from New York City and I have recently become very interested in documenting the behind-the-scenes world of theaters and projectionists.

I think that this point of time is a very interesting one for your craft and I am eager to hear what you, as projectionists, feel like the future holds for film projection. I would like to make a case for projection as an art form-one that is in danger of being lost- and I would like to profile some of the colorful and creative people who are trying to preserve and protect this mass medium form of entertainment.

I am obviously still in the development stage of this project, but I am scheduled to do some preliminary shooting the third week of July and begin fundraising shortly after that. The film could best be described as "Cinema Paradiso" meets "American Movie".

I am looking for more characters for the film. In particular I am looking for theater owners and projectionists who love to talk about their craft and have a deep understanding and sense of its history and its future. If you feel like you fit this description or if you know someone that you feel I should speak to, I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me by email. Any assistance you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.
gaberhodes@earthlink.net
Sincerely,
Gabriel Rhodes

|  IP: Logged

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2001 02:30 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea! I've sent you an e-mail with a suggestion regarding someone you may wish to feature.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2001 03:24 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a projectionist in the UK that has made about 100 videos on Cinema projection rooms in the UK and Europe, they are mainly filmed for friends and not sold, but I am sure if you plan to film in the UK, we would been keen to assist

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 05:19 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to get in touch with Bob Furmanek, who's the chief projectionist at the newly restored Loews in Jersey City through their website at www.loewsjersey.org They've restored the booth including a 1929 projector set up to do Vitagraph discs! You'll get an interview with an Academy Award winning projectionist.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2001 07:34 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John for mentioning Bob F. I'm one of the projectionist at the Loews. Since we're right across the river, we're in Jersey City right at the path station, you maybe intersted in coming down. The projection booth is restored back to about 1953. The only thing that really sticks out are the Kinoton Projectors, but we are running carbon arcs with changovers. We have from what we can tell the only working Vitaphone machine in any theatre (if someone can correct me on that, please do, we're not exactly sure if we're the only installation). Tube amps with the original restored Perspecta 3 channel stereo sound from 1953. The theatre is slowly being restored but is all original. Even the pipe organ is being restored and reinstalled. The place is something. Check out the web site www.loewsjersey.org

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2001 08:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I would suggest shooting Brad Miller since he does the projection thang better than anyone, but Brad does not like being in front of the camera. But seriously, in order to represent the projection trade in a manner that is not embarrassing, please PLEASE make sure to find people who know what they are doing (not just say they do). Here's how you can tell (with some other suggestions):

-Threads film so that the leader NEVER EVER touches the floor, under any circumstance.

-Keeps his/her booth very clean and orderly.

-Has an absolutely flawless onscreen presentation. Absolutely no dirt at the splices on the oldest film in the building. And absolutely no dirt on the very first ad or trailer that hits the screen. If you see even the slightest amount of dirt, then that booth is a failure. Of course, same case can be made for scratches.

-Please note that mistakes DO happen, so even the best of us can have something go wrong. But this should not be consistent throughout the booth.

-If you also feature other projectionists who don't do as good of a job, please explain this in your video/film. Perhaps get a few scenes with normal teenagers running a booth, and explain how the industry has cut costs by making it an entry level position, and in many cases completely sacrificing presentation, etc.

-If you are actually shooting on film and not video, nothing less than 65mm is acceptable.

-If the finished product will be on video, we would love to have it as a video download (or a series of downloads) here on Film-Tech. I do the video compression for the site, so send me an e-mail if that's something you would like to see.

Have fun!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2001 08:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Joe is right...

#1 We would love to be able to offer your finished documentary for download via the Film-Tech site. Joe will handle the video to Quicktime conversions.

#2 No, I do not get in front of the camera. (This isn't quite as rare as you may think.)

#3 Definitely get REAL projectionists and not popcorn kids or "projectionists" who are just burned out at their job. I've seen 60 year old projectionists who are magnificent and extraordinarily detailed about their work, yet I've also seen 16 year old projectionists who were also top notch. Don't let "age" or "experience" persuade you who to interview. Look at their presentation and if you see any defect whatsoever, go find another person to interview.

Maybe John Pytlak will even let you call it "Film Done Right".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-13-2001 05:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Joe,
You can play all of the parts in the Documentary yourself! Just re-morph yourself between format changes to be ready for the next shot.....
Really, its sad that someone didn't do this years ago when things were carbon arc. It would have been a much more interesting time to film it and the equipment was also more interesing to look at. Back say about 1960 when all formats were still alive but latters and xenon were just starting to come into being would have been a good time, or can we get Joe to morph the equipment for this film? I can just imagine a pair of Powers 6B's being morphed into a full Cinerama Booth!
Mark @ GTS

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2001 07:07 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little frustrated when I see movies like Best in Show because if these people spent as much effort looking for real people who participate in big-time dog shows, they probably could have found just as many odd characters and made an even more entertaining film.

But... that may be beside the point. I think it's essential that a documentary about projectionists include the most meticulous people all the way down to the teenager who doesn't operate the projector any better than he does the popcorn machine. Find the right people and you've got an informative film and something which is wildly entertaining.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2001 09:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I would love to make a documentary, but I don't have the budget. Also, when you start introducing special effects, your subject is no longer a documentary.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2001 12:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, common Joe, You can morph the money and the equipment. Irt wouldn't be presented in the docu as special effects anyway. No one would know.
Mark @ GTS

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 08:04 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to think that Brad and Joe may together hold the answers to the problem of getting good FILM presentation at every theatre. Brad with FilmGuard and Joe with his ability to morph. If Joe can just morph those "popcorn kids" who also run film at the monster-plexes into serious and skilled projectionists, digital will never have a chance!

Gabriel Rhodes
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2001 03:23 PM      Profile for Gabriel Rhodes   Email Gabriel Rhodes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of your replies. Everyone has been amazingly helpful. I really appreciate the offer to post the final film on Film-tech, which of course I would like to do because what better audience for a film about projectionists? I hear what you all are saying about getting every level and age of projectionists. I think its important to see the varying levels of respect for the craft at various venues. I think it says alot about large chain theaters and their respect for the medium.
Thanks,
Gabe

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: