Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » First movie to ship DTS disc in paper envelope results in first broken disc (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: First movie to ship DTS disc in paper envelope results in first broken disc
Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2001 08:37 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I opened up 2 prints of "Swordfish" last night, each coming with one DTS disc, and noticed both of them had the discs in paper sleeves instead of the usual plastic cases, though they were still in the big reel-shaped things the discs come in. Wouldn't you know it, one of the discs was cracked right out of the case. I've never seen this happen with the plastic cases, I hope they aren't planning to use paper sleeves from now on because I predict there will be a LOT of broken discs!

|  IP: Logged

Brian Potts
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2001 12:57 AM      Profile for Brian Potts   Email Brian Potts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the same thing with my print of Swordfish. Also, the last 2 sets of DTS trailer disks came in the paper sleeves. Luckily enough, I haven't had any of my disks broke. I agree with you Jesse on hoping that the paper sleeves aren't permanent.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-08-2001 01:34 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why DTS is getting cheap? Are they losing money? Or is this the result of a cheap studio that made this decision to ship the discs in paper sleeves?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2001 02:26 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if they don't get broken, scratches are a big possibility, especially if the print is shipped in those flimsy TES cans via Airborne.

I would think those soft-plastic disk cases are nearly indestructible, why can't they just recycle these from old films?

Oh, that's right, it's because all the old disks are still SITTING IN THEATRES!!!

[sarcasm mode OFF]

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2001 04:12 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse,

Thanks for letting me know. I'll look into that.

Karen at DTS

John Keegan
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2001 11:41 AM      Profile for John Keegan   Email John Keegan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny this topic would come up.. I noticed this too when we got our prints of Swordfish and even Shrek for that matter! I haven't had one break yet, but who knows. I disagree about the plastic cases being nearly indestructable as when I received out Open Captioned Print of "Driven", Both cases were shattered...Don't know if this was they were loose in the can or whether someone stepped on it...At least the discs survived...

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2001 12:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently got the trailer discs, and one was broken.

I say that if DTS wants to save money, stop sending them out every week. It isn't like the list of trailers on the disk changes from week to week.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-21-2001 02:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen,

Is there a way that someone could assemble a "trailer" disc using a computer with a cd burner? If so, I would be pleased to offer dts trailer downloads from this site that theaters could download, customize and burn for their particular theater. I know not everyone would have that option, but cd burners are becoming increasingly popular and blank cdroms can now be had for about a quarter. It would also get trailer audio files to the theaters quicker.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-21-2001 08:03 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you copy a DTS disk over the internet? That is, can someone make a kind of image file, save it on a server and later download it to their CD burner.

I'm thinking of some way where 2nd run theaters (many of whom seem not to get the discs with their print) could go to a site and download the image file. I realise that's a lotta megabytes, but maybe this "DTS server" would only hold films up to two months- after that, it's purged.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-21-2001 08:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If dts and the studios would agree to it, the Film-Tech servers are severely overbuilt now and they have TONS of spare storage space on them and I have TONS of bandwidth that is not being used. We could easily take care of it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-21-2001 10:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A disk image file (.img) already has its own compression of sorts. You probably don't need to compress it any more. You could just blast it over the internet as-is. (Using BinHex if needed.) If you made it into a StuffIt archive, you would get even more compression. (If it will compress any more.)

Essentially, you just download it, Un-Stuff / De-BinHex it as needed and then burn it onto a CD. Seeing as how a CD holds a max of 700 MB, you could store an awful lot of them on a server if you had the proper resources.

It's all just a matter of getting permission and then setting it up.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-21-2001 10:29 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The information on a DTS disk is already compressed. You can't compress it any further (actually, like encrypted data, it would get bigger if you tried to compress it). The best thing to do is to make the information available in .iso format, which can be used by most cd-burning software to create an exact clone of the original disk. The format is pretty common; for example, most of the Linux and BSD distributions are available in this format, from which a bootable CD can be created from the downloadable files.

Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2001 01:52 AM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Broken disk! I am not alone!!! I had a broken trailer disk shipped to me. I also wouldn't doubt that they are losing money, because for the past several weeks they have been sending me 12 trailer disks... I only have 6 units. Go figure...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2001 02:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw 2 broken trailer discs sitting on a desk today. I'm not sure when they came in, but the projectionist of the theater told me they arrived broken and showed me the new paper sleeves (along with a few explecatives). There is one thing about saving money, but it is a completely different story when a new practice becomes "cheap".

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2001 05:03 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please call us to report broken discs. We are experimenting with new packaging and the only way we know if it is working or not is if we hear from YOU. So, please let us know when/if you are experiencing problems.

Our telephone number is (800) 959-4109 (conti. USA only) or (818) 706-3525

Email: cinematech@dtsonline.com (another email addy for me).

Thanks, Karen at DTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: