Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS Rumour

Author Topic: SDDS Rumour
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-07-2001 06:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the other day that SOny has let go all the Cony Cinema staff and techs and has moved repairs over to the Sony Electronics Department
Is this the fadeout of SDDS?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-07-2001 06:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets hope so! After all, getting stuff repaired by Sony Electronics should teach one and all never to buy a Sony product ever.
Mark @ GTS

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 06-07-2001 07:42 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that the Sony tech's are going to review films for Columbia and Tri-Star.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-07-2001 08:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that over a year ago.

The way I understand, they are/were shutting down the whold cinema products division and moving SDDS under the umbrella of their "ordinary" professional products.

In the long run, this might KILL SDDS. As some people might know, in order to be a Sony dealer (even for professional products) you have to agree to some pretty strict terms... Pricing policies... Products that are carried, etc. This, to my understanding, is the reason why it's often hard to find certain products because there are so few dealers who are willing to put up with that kind of crap.

Therefore, even if SDDS survives, it'll become rarer and rarer. I imagine, once there are few enough theatres running SDDS, they might stop printing SDDS soundtracks on prints. I have seen fewer SDDS prints out there lately, anyway.

I wonder if the downfall is beginning already?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-07-2001 10:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Care to name the source of this rumor?

I generally find this sort of discussion distastful if it can't be backed up.

I know I haven't had any problems talking with SCPC techs and personel. Futhermore, they seem to be hiring to replace Steve Levy who has chosen to move over to Sony's Tele-cine division.

Again my findings don't support the "rumour" but actually seem to contradict it.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2001 02:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this same rumor at our state NATO board meeting in May. The person who told it to me is on this forum and if he wants to talk about it, I'm sure he will.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: