Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horns vs Direct Radiator Bass Cabinets

Author Topic: Horns vs Direct Radiator Bass Cabinets
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-07-2001 05:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading once about the mouth size and horn length vs flow frequency response and that was the reason that most horns don't go to as low of response as a direct radiator cabinet
Does any one have the formula

|  IP: Logged

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found in Tremaines "Audio Cyclopedia" a good description of the formulas. In my book it is pg. 1098 Chapter 20.51. Not really possible to include the formulas in ASCII text.

Kent Elliott
Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2001 10:11 PM      Profile for Kent Elliott   Email Kent Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most horn-loaded cabinets also have ports. The gain in efficiency from the horn section is low-frequency-limited by both the depth of the horn, and the mouth size of the horn. It takes a really long horn, coulped with a decent mouth size, to get into serious bass frequencies. But, the ports on a modern, well-designed ported-horn cabinet can equal the low-frequency output of a direct radiating horn-- it just won't seem like it, because the effiency in the mid-bass will be even higher as a result of the horn.
If you're looking for a horn-loaded sub-woofer, you might look at the EAW LA400 cabinet. About 36" x 21" x 36" deep, -3db @ 45hz, and very efficient-- and from a single 12" speaker!
Kent Elliott

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 12:04 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 30 years ago I saw some wooden horns that had been built as an experiment at a rock festival in Satsop, Washington. I don't remember the exact dimensions but they were huge. The mouth might have been on the order of 15' square and the throat 30' long, if memory serves me correctly (what memory). They turned them on and played the 2001 music. And you could hear everyone say "big deal" collectively. If it had been indoors it might have been better. They were supposed to be the bottom end for the PA system. Hmmm, I wonder whatever happened to them?......

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 09:12 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flare constant formula in the Tremiane book is:

Flare Constant = 4 * pi * cutoff frequency / velocity in inches per second

An example is given that the rate of flare for a cutoff of 64hz doubles every 12 inches. A key statement would seem to be "The use of an exponential flare rate will provide a sharp rise in throat resistance at the lower frequencies for a given horn length.

My father once built a sound truck for a customer. The pictures of the long horns on top of the truck date it. From what I understand, horn design is more suited to musical instruments (Sousaphone, tuba, french horn, trumpet, etc.) where a changable length of resonant piping can reinforce a particular tone before it gets to the bell. I hadn't thought of it before, but the horn family of instruments could be considered similar to lasers in operation, which is why a little buzz of the lips can turn into such a loud tone.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2001 10:24 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the "New York Experience" first opened in NYC, it used a straight horn for a subwoofer. I think it was 26ft. long and 11 ft. square at the mouth. I remember seeing it and was awestruck. They had problems with blowing drivers though and after a few years had switched to SenSurround horns for subs.

------------------
Bob Throop

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: