Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SR card on an Ultra Stereo JS-5/95

Author Topic: SR card on an Ultra Stereo JS-5/95
Christopher Wehrman
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 08:19 PM      Profile for Christopher Wehrman   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Wehrman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

We have an Ultra Stereo JS-5/95 processor set up for front/back with sub. It currently has the Dolby A N.R. card in it. My question is: could the new SR noise reduction card work in the JS-5/95's NR slot?

Also, I noticed that when listening to the suround channel only, there seems to be a general leek of audo from the center cannel. Could this be a bad card or is it just the way the old JS-5/95 systems work when configured to work with out a matrix card? Would having a matrix card or upgrading to the SR noise reduction card help?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-05-2001 10:37 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no. Yes the SR card will function and fit in the slot for the Type A card, but since the SR card does not provide the meters for setting the Dolby tone, you have no way to make this adjustment. And since the circuitry differs, i cannot recommend setting Dolby Tone with the A-Type card (which has the meters) then replacing it with the SR and get satisfactory results.

And since there is only one NR slot provision on the 5/95, you obvously cannot use both NR cards.

As for the surround leakage, is it very loud, as to be easily heard during normal operation? if so, its likely that something in the A-chain is way out of alignment. Otherwise i am sure that there would be a very tiny amount of dialogue leakage (that cannot be plainly heard under normal listening conditions) because the matrix cards arent perfect...

Aaron

Christopher Wehrman
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2001 11:04 PM      Profile for Christopher Wehrman   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Wehrman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Araon,

It sounds like using the SR card is out of the question. But what am I going to do when we have to upgrade the the red LED "JaxLite", I herd that using the SR card will help the distortion.

The leakage is not verry loud. From what I can tell from the block diagram, the processing for the surround is done in the NR card becouse the matrix card is not used when set up for front/back.
So what I was thinking, if I used the matrix card, I should get more precise processing.
Does this sound right to you?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-06-2001 12:46 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No do not use a matrix card in a front surround system. You would have to switch the switches on the back of the unit for it to work properly and you would loose certain information like dialouge that could be paned to the right or left. The front surround system works by summing all mono signales to the center and mixing the left and right signals in with the surround information. the slit lens may be out of adjustment needing to be checked with an RTA and a scope to be sure that you maintain the high frequencies. This will help prevent some crosstalk but with the way the unit processes front surround you can not eliminate it all like normal four channel systems.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-06-2001 10:21 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can use the sr card in the regular A type slot. I have several theatre that do that regularly. Just remmeber to swap it as required.
The leakage is there because many Front/surround units use a simple matrix that sums Lt and Rt and feed the centre with it and takes the difference and sends it to the surrounds
Alignment of the cell and slit are very criticle to keep crosstalk to a minimum.
level matching between the left and right cell outputs and the azimuth is the most criticle

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: