Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra Stereo sound

Author Topic: Ultra Stereo sound
Todd Leach
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2001 12:05 AM      Profile for Todd Leach   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Leach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Ultra Stereo processor that has recently been "upgraded" from center surround to four channel. I feel the quality of the sound has diminished since going to four channel. What I mean is when I had center surround the sound was big and full, you could feel the subwoofer in your chest all frequencies were fully represented. Now with four channel I seem to have an abundance of high frequency sound and not enough low frequency, not only from the subwoofer but also the low cabinets. In fact I don't think the subwoofer signal is right. If I just listen to the subwoofer I can hear pretty much everything that is in the center channel, it is just muffled and very quiet. The tech that set it up for me said he increased the volume output on the cards so instead of running the fader at 6 to 7, I now run at 3. Can this cause the problems above? I have tried switching the processor back to center surround and there is no change in the sound quality, and the CD player sound also has the same sound quality as film sound. The Ultra Stereo processor is a JS 200, other componets are:
Speakers:
Center EV Variplex (tri-amped)
Left & Right EV Variplex B (bi-amped)
Subwoofer EV TL3512
Surround EV TS8-2
Amplifiers:
QSC USA 900's & 1310's
Crosovers:
EV Dx34A (three way configuation)
Odyssey products Bi-amped VF Series
Any insight on other things to check would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-02-2001 01:26 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem to me that if you're only running the fader on 3, then something is horribly wrong in the B-chain setup. I can't think of a good reason for the tech to "increase the volume output on the cards" with what I would assume is new equipment. This would only cause the signal to the amps to be overmodulated and sound like crap.

My question to the group: Why would one tri-amp the center channel and only bi-amp the L/R channels? Would this not give a really funky EQ? Never seen this done before.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-02-2001 01:34 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dumb question; Did a person who knows what they are doing align your system? The equipment seems like decent-quality stuff.

Setting the fader to "7" is pretty much the standard.. even for non-Dolby units, but setting the fader to play back at "3" does not seem to be causing your problem.

What does your tech say? Is he acting like he is all done with the job? It sounds like (to me) it still needs work.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-02-2001 01:58 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Adam's first sentence. I would recommend a complete alignment of the "A" and "B" chain.

Also, the later models of the Ultra-Stereo have dip switches on the mainboard. Make sure they are set to the proper positions. Some people forget about them when the unit is upgraded.

I have had some problems with the newer EQ cards, but it was only a situation where they worked, didn't work, or worked only only when they felt like it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-02-2001 05:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple answer: You need to fire that tech who calibrated your sound system and demand a refund of whatever you paid him for that "service". Wow, that's just pathetic!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-02-2001 11:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JS200 has dip switchs on the motherboard to program its formats and it will do some very weird things if they are set incorrectly.
Since the CD sounds just as bad it is probably in the A chain the problem lies.
Out of curriosity what type of Pinknoise generator was used and did he use a multiplexed microphone set up and what analyzer was used.
THere is also a possiblity that there is a wireing error in the rack
Typically the fader will be between 5.5-6 for most films on an audience average
Also who was the engineer that set it up and did he do the whole upgrade of speakers and amps

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-02-2001 01:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to bet it was MTS that set it up. They aren;t worth the powder to blast a bullett out. Get a new service tech that knows what he is doing and that has an R-2 and knows how to use it.
Mark @ GTS
p.s. Great picture Todd!

Todd Leach
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2001 12:42 AM      Profile for Todd Leach   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Leach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer a few of your questions, the same tech that did the center surround and made it sound so good also added the four channel so I have faith that the tech knows what he is doing. For pink noise he used something that slides right in the processor and has switches that let him switch center, left, right, surround. I don't know the model of real time analyzer he used, but it only had one mic. I checked the switches on the processor and they are all in the off position and as far as I can tell wiring looks correct.

I should add the sound is not absolutly horrible, it is lacking a bit in the low frequency area especially the subwoofer. In fact I think if the subwoofer was working properly it would probably sound fine. As things are with the other speakers on, I can have the subwoofer on or off, it dosen't matter because you can't hear it. I do have the subwoofer output on the format card all the way up and from the processor it goes to a 1310 amp mono bridged, wide open. You would think it would make some noise. You can hear it if you turn the other speakers off, but the stuff coming out of it isn't just subwoofer stuff. I can hear dialog and other things, low stuff is louder but it does not woof like it should. I have hooked up other speakers to the amp and they produce the same thing so I don't think it is a speaker problem. I have played other material through the amp and it has played fine so I don't think it is an amp problem. CD's sound the same as film so I don't think it is an alignment problem. Everything is leading me back to the processor.

I read in the manual that the subwoofer output comes from summing the center left and right channels and putting them through a band pass filter and such. Can this circut be the culprit? If so is it part of the format card or somewhere on the processor board? At any rate it sounds like I should get the tech back and go through some stuff.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-03-2001 04:26 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check to make sure that the wiring to the subwoofer is correct. Posative to posative and negative to negative on the wireing. Also if you have another ultra stereo unit sitch the format cards and see if u get a subwoofer improvement and does the bad sound move with card. You could have a bad format card. Also some of these format cards have two subwoofer adjustments one is for digital and the othe analog. Make sure u are turning the right one. You will have some dialouge bleed into the sub channel this is normal on ultra stereo units. I like the dolby subchannels better. I think they sound better.

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2001 02:35 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have installed 100's of the JS 200, as well as upgrades from center/surround to four channel, if aligned and tuned correctly you can make them shake the walls and sound super, Your tech did a lousy job, must have been NCS!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-04-2001 12:04 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see how somebody would mess up a job like this and I'm not going to slam your tech for that but I would point out that ANYBODY who does ANY kind of work for hire should have some kind of final testing/approval procedure.

Usually when I make adjustments to the sound system I go down to the theatre and listen to it in person. Then, if there is time I get the manager to come down and listen too. If he/she has any suggestions or complaints I fix them right then. Before I leave I tell the manager to keep an eye on it for a while and let me know if everything's OK. 9 times out of 10 there are no problems but every so often I need to go back and make changes.

Since I work on salary payment isn't an issue for me but I would say that your tech ought to come back and tweek that system up for you at no cost. (Or at least at reduced cost.) Before he leaves you ought to have the opportunity to listen to the sound and give final approval.

This only makes sense. Even a hairdressers will tell their clients to come back the next day if they don't like their hairdo!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: