Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Analog/Digital Problems

Author Topic: Dolby Analog/Digital Problems
Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I'm using a penthouse 3 disc DTS unit, a Cat. 700 SRD reader, and a basement Dolby Analog Reader by Kelmar. The processor is a CP-65 by Dolby. The projector is a Strong Millenium unit.

I'm wondering if you guys have some ideas as to what is happening to some of my houses. On two of the houses, the SRD/DTS is not working and the analog sounds very soft. It is very difficult to hear any sound unless the volume knob is turned almost all the way up. Unfortunately, when I do this, the sound is distorted a little--but if I do not, then there is hardly any sounds at all. Once the feature is over and the processor kicks back into non-sync the music is blaring again since the volume is all the way up. Also, on a couple projectors the digital is not automatically kicking in even though DTS recognizes the timecode and the SRD is registering the soundtrack. I have to manually put it in digital otherwise it stays in SR. Finally, I have one house running in "bypass." I have tested the channels and they all register on my meter, yet when the sound is processed through the Dolby unit, it is either lagged, slurred, or extremely low. Any help would be great.

All the optics have been thoroughly cleaned. I cannot figure out the problem.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-31-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly you are to power down the SRD when running dts. Although I do have one CP65 outfitted with both that for some odd reason works perfectly with them both powered on.

You might also need Dolby's pulse extender for that CP65 to recognize the automation pulses. I am assuming you are using the dts automation board?

On your analog, it sounds like you need a tech to perform an A-chain.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-31-2001 09:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also if a house is running in bypass you may need the B chain done as well

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-01-2001 01:52 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take this with a word of caution:
I don't tell many of my people how to do this because a lot of them will mess things up worse than when they started. I have one or two theatres that I tell this to because I trust them enough.

Do you have any green Dolby test film? Run a loop of that and look at the preamp. You should have two sets of green lights.

If not you'll need somebody to come out and give your A-Chain a good going over.

I have one theatre that'll call me up every once in a while and they'll just tell me, "We can't get Dolby Tone in number 'n'. Can you come out and do an A-Chain?"
When I see their number come up on the phone I say to myself, "Oh Sh**!", because when they call I know they really NEED it!

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steven,

When running DTS with DD/CP65, please power down the DA20 when running in DTS. And, when running in DD, please power down the DTS. You need to do this for DTS to DD/CP65 only. The problem is that the logic pluses from both units "butt heads' and the CP65 will not switch correctly.

If the audio has a problem when running in digital (DTS and DD), then you need a service call on your CP65.

Karen at DTS

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2001 02:29 PM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy:

Thank you for the advice, I will check it out this evening. As for getting the tech in... it seem next to impossible. For example, one would assume that a downed house would have the tech running to the doorstep--well, almost. One of the lamphouses blew the rectifier due to a loose connection somewhere. One of the operators tried his home phone, cell phone, and pager that very evening to get him in to fix it right away (theatre was running a print of Pearl Harbor). No luck that night but the next morning he figured he would have better luck--alas, no luck whatsoever. It took a call to the GM then the DM then finally the tech's boss until we received a call from the technician himself. He came out and fixed the downed house but neglected to repair the now two houses that are in need of audio repair. I cannot do the work needed on them because I haven't got a clue on what I would be doing to physically repair the unit. As for A-Chain or B-Chain... well, you got me. Thanks for the words though.. I appreciate it.

Steven

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2001 07:35 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same thing on my end. I have to power down the DA20 to run DTS and vice versa. As far as my automation, I have to set it for SR so when the green digital light is on the CP65 will switch to digital. If the digital signal is lost (non-listed trailer, bad timecode) the CP65 will default to SR. If the automation is somehow set for SRD then the CP65 will not default and will remain in SRD, when DTS signal is lost.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-09-2001 12:42 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a suitcase packed and ready to go at all times. When somebody calls me I have to decide if it's worth it to go right away or wait till the next morning. Usually, I keep 5:PM as a cut-off time but that's not a solid rule. Basically I have to figure the time it takes me to drive from where I am to the place that's in trouble. If I can make it there at a reasonable hour I'll go. If not I go in the morning.

Just last week I was arriving home from one place and I got a call from another. Place "A" was already half way between home and Place "B". If they had called just 2 hours earlier I would have been able to make it there in 3 hours or so. But NOOOOO.... they had to wait until I got all the way home!

Anybody who is worth his salt should at least be available to take your call during normal theatre hours. An e-mail address is a good backup.

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2001 07:11 AM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do everthing possible to be on site within 24 hours of being notified, the biggest problem I have is some theatre operators wait 12 to 24 hours before they even call me!,Like Randy I keep a bag packed at all times,with all ALL necessary equipment, I don't go anywhere unprepared to do the job
correctly.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: