Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Irem Rectifier Diodes blown up twice in one month!

Author Topic: Irem Rectifier Diodes blown up twice in one month!
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2001 07:22 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,
Well, I have this small problem with a cinema I am doing the projectors maintenance work and I was wondering whether you can help me. An Irem rectifier has blown two diodes twice this month and I am not sure where is the problem. All the diodes and connections are completely screwed very very tight so there will be no loose screws. What do you think the cause is? We all know that you have 16 screws to unscrew to reach to the diodes area and that is time consuming. Do you think the power is unstable? Suggestions please.
Thank you all
Demetris Thoupis

"FOR STRENGTH AND HONOUR"

P.S: Irem Rectifier 3 phase - Country uses 240v power.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-27-2001 10:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you use heat sink grease when replacing the diodes the first time? Without it many diodes won't last very long.

Power surges can also kill diodes, but heat is the biggest killer.

Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-27-2001 10:55 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check your RF suppression capacitors. Better yet, replace them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-27-2001 11:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,
I have had this exact same problem before with Irem rectifiers. You need to replace all of the diodes at the same time. There are not that many of them so it does not cost that much. A different date code batch of diodes can have slightly different charasterics even though they have the same industry part number an this can cause the thing to go slightly out of balance and put more stress on one or two other diodes. Always use silicon grease, and if in doubt replace the bypass caps. When I have them go I always replace all of them and the problem usually does not come back again.
Mark @ GTS

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-28-2001 12:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark. I have had the same findings as he has expressed above. Always change them ALL out.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2001 11:10 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

At the other cinema they have and have had many problems with their Irem rectifier, but this time it is not me to claim about my rectifiers!!!

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-28-2001 12:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also it is a good idea to use larger sized diodes in both PIV and amperage ratings. IREM uses the bare minimum to get buy
In most of the 2K Irems I service I have replaced the 35amp 200PIV diodes to 75amp 400PIV They cost about $2.00 more and don't fail as often

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-28-2001 12:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Gord...IREM uses too small diodes...I go a bit more overboard though and go with 800 or greater PIV and 85A.

Are your diodes going bad during the show or when it starts? If it is during the show, then there is a possible heat problem...if it is at the show start then often it is RF coming back and killing them.

Make sure your lamphouse is grounded well...check your RF supression caps in and about the igniter they should be well connected to ground.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-28-2001 03:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used 100 Amp 1000 Volt Peak Inverse diodes in all my power supplies. Failures were very rare.

One thing you have to be very careful of all the stud diodes - you must use a heat sink when you solder the lead to them. If you don't, you can expect failures.

And, yes, be sure to use an approved heat-sink compound when they are installed. This also includes removal of all the coagulated compound from the mounting surface before you apply the new compound.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-28-2001 09:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the 100amp have a different stud size than the IREM uses
I believe that the 1/4" is maxed at 85amp but I could be wrong

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-28-2001 09:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord I think you are correct in that statement. I've never been able to find anything larger than 85 amps in a 1/4" stud size case. If he goes to 85A they will probably never fail.
Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-29-2001 12:29 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon and Mark: You both have me wondering now. I bought two bags of those diodes about ten years ago. Today, I cannot find a current reference on them. I wonder if they were discontinued. I know they were 100 amp diodes, though. If I find a good number on them, I'll pass it along to you.

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2001 03:13 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using Diodes from a company called EDAL located in Conneticut Good diodes and very reasonable I will try to locate the phone number and post it as soon as I can We have been install ming the higher aperage 75 - 85 and most of the problems have disapeared I agree the only way to change them is to change all at once with hyeat sink grease. One of the problems we had experiance was that if someone was not shonw the proper way to change diodes we had a multitude of loose conections thayt led to premature diode failures.
I again will try to find the number for EDAL corp later today

Regards,
John

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-31-2001 07:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Gordon and Mark, you are correct. The diodes were rated 85 amps. The ones I used were Italian doides, (number unknown) in a bag of 50 each. Unfortunately, I used them all up in the last 12 years, and the power supplies I used them in are no longer accessable for verification.

I cannot recall at this time if I got those doides out of California, or Portland Oregon.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-31-2001 09:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find that Int. Rectifier are the most reliable

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: