Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Load500/Dras10 serial cable

Author Topic: Load500/Dras10 serial cable
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 07:59 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.

Someone perhaps remember my difficulties connecting my laptop with my CP500.
I thought was a laptop's problem. I tried with another laptop with the same result: no connection.
I wonder if my cable is correct: it is a pin to pin cable.

Thanks
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-23-2001 08:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard 9pin straight through cable

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2001 12:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should work fine but double check your com port settings on the laptop to be sure they are correct. Also try a second cable.....
Mark @ GTS

Steffan Laugharne
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 02:13 PM      Profile for Steffan Laugharne   Email Steffan Laugharne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonio

Remember that Dras10 and Load500 work best when run via DOS and not DOS through Windows. Also, I seem to remember that on the Dolby course for the CP500 there was some discussion about the order in which the laptop and CP500/DA20 are switched on in order to get the two to communicate properly. Try both combinations ie. boot up DRAS10 first while connected to CP500/DA20 switched on and then if this fails switch on CP500/DA20 with the laptop already running DRAS10.

Incidentally, Dolby will shortly be releasing a Windows version of DRAS program which will work with CP500 and DA20 processors shortly. These will appear as downloads on www.dolbysecure.com

Steff

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 02:28 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steff,

Thanks for the info, I will try.

I wonder why my old tech that needs a paper with "instrucion" on how to upgrade the software is able to connect without problems while I have a lot of problem and I am a network administrator in the spare time...

I will try to register myself on dolbysecure...

Bye
Antonio

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-23-2001 03:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Dolby ever thought about putting network interfaces on the CP500s and CP 650s? Actually, this would be kind of neat in a new multiplex with cat5 cable installed to each screen. Theoretically, the processors could be monitored and adjustments (like volume, etc.) could be made from a central location. More importantly, upgrades could be made centrally by putting the software image on a central server computer and then using a standard protocol like tftp to load it onto each processor without having to walk around with a laptop.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 05:05 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP650 has an ethernet port, I have no ideo what U can do with it though.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-23-2001 05:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also Dras10 and Load 500 are 16bit programs and wont run if you are useing win2000

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-23-2001 09:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Also Dras10 and Load 500 are 16bit programs and wont run if you are useing win2000<<

They don't work with Win ME either.

-AS

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-23-2001 11:33 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest two things:

1) Boot straight into DOS. Those probrams get cranky when they run anywhere near Windows.

2) Get a nice, heavy serial cable with good shielding.

I had a problem with my laptop not connecting to the processors. With the SDDS it would connect and then quit on me. On the DSP-60 it would connect OK but then it would start making funky noises like a video game. Buying a cable with good shielding solved the problem in both cases. (Yes, I used a Null-Modem connector for the SDDS.)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-24-2001 06:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It is interesting that SDDS actually has different programs that work best with different laptops. I have a somewhat high end laptop (aka: top of the line about 3 years ago) and can not use ver 1.4, but ver 1.7 works perfectly. Another tech using a laptop connects just fine with ver 1.4, but cannot make ver 1.7 work.

(Forgive me if I have the version numbers mixed up in my head. I "think" those are correct, but if I have mistated I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct the error.)

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2001 07:00 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP650 (all versions) has an ethernet port on it. Currently the software does not exist to use it but it is supposed to be in a version of the software sometime later this year.
I've never had a problem using Dras10 or Load500 in a dos window under Win98 (first version ) The THX R2 software however does require DOS mode.
Now if we could just get all of those software enginneers to write these programs for LINUX we would be set

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2001 02:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only caution of running dra210 under win 98 is getting the commport settings set up correctly and also allowing the correct settings
I was supprised that the latest R2 software was not win98 based

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: