Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Copying DTS CD-ROMs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Copying DTS CD-ROMs
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-23-2001 12:35 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I had a hunch it would happen and I was right. My friend Jack is in a bit of a pinch here regarding the prints of "Pearl Harbor" he is supposed to receive in the next day or two. He needs more than one set of DTS discs per print since the higher ups want him to interlock two prints across screens 3, 4, 5 and 6. The distributor is now only promising one set of discs per print (which I kind of suspected in the first place). So he needs me to make a couple CD-R dubs on my computer. On the surface it would seem pretty easy. But, having the experience I have with computer systems, I know all kinds of snafus are just prone to rise especially if you have a deadline to meet. To complicate things, my friend's theater already has ads on the radio selling his engagement of "Pearl Harbor" with the claim of DTS on ALL engagements --which goes to compete against the new Dickinson Theaters build opening up this week (which was supposed to have digital on every screen, but actually only has 2 DTS units and Ultra Stereo on the other 10 auditoriums). Jack's theater will have the better sound, but I need to help him do it. Having analog on any of his shows would be an embarrasment, especially with how good his auditoriums sound playing DTS. Sorry for the long winded story.

I know some of the fellows here have been successful at making CD-R copies of DTS-CDs. I'd like to know any kinds of "gotchas" to watch out for in making CD copies of DTS cinema CD-ROMs.

FYI, I'm using Adaptec EZ-CD Creator 4 software. It usually does fine when directly copying music CDs and even data CDs with the CD Copier utility. I'm just wondering if there is anything that might prevent such a run-through on DTS discs. I know these are "data" discs and not in LPCM music layout (like a DTS audio CD would be structured). But any kind of procedural help on the part of the participants of this forum would be highly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-23-2001 01:00 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it can be easily done, I would check with Karen at DTS to see if permission can be granted to copy the disks. I personally would not do it without permission. It is not worth it.

Heaven only knows what kind of copyright laws DTS has to follow.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-23-2001 03:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your Adaptec direct cd copier program will work just fine. So long as you just make a direct dupe and do not mess with the layout (as if you were assembling a music or data cd), it will work without problems. I have done this a lot where I needed to interlock, or one of the cds came in broken, so I duped one from the second print, or I got two "A" discs and no "B" disc, so I borrowed a neighboring theater's disc for a half an hour, etc, etc, etc.

I cannot imagine DTS having a problem with a theater duping cds for use with interlocks. The theater manager is in effect making another "print" when he interlocks it. Duping a set of cds for the audio is no different from that as far as I am concerned. I would be extremely disappointed with dts if they had a problem with it.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-23-2001 03:06 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, so would I, but you never know these days....

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-23-2001 03:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree 100% with Brad. Direct CD Copy is the best way to go. For best results, read the disc with the same player that will do the writing. Trust me on this. Also, it helps to read at the same speed you will write. Not necessary but if you want it to be 100% bit perfect that is the only way. But I believe DTS CDs have enough error correction that this shouldn't be necessary.

I also agree that DTS should have no problem with this. Or would they rather have the movie played in Dolby Digital or SDDS? I doubt it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-23-2001 03:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two cdrom drives in my personal machine. One is a cd burner and the other is a generic 50x drive. I have made many a copy direct from one drive to the other, but occasionally have found that errors will happen. It is rare, but if you want to make SURE the dupe is perfect, click the box to "copy disc to hard drive first". The hard drive can spit out the data faster and more continuously than a cd drive can.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 05:05 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

No problem copying dts CDs. Just make a direct copy.
I agree with Brad AND with Paul. I'm sure that there are many copyright on that disks but I'm sure that, in this case, DTS will not interfere with Bobby. He is just trying to have dts sound in its theaters.
If he cannot have more than one set of disk, it's a distributor and/or DTS fault, not bobby's.

Bye
Antonio

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 05:40 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you use some kind of audio delay
arrangement when interlocking a DTS feature
wih an insufficient amount of DTS players?
Trying it with a looped tape delay with
more than two tracks on the tape is expensive
and sometimes impractical. Using an arrangement involving hard drives and/or
CD-R and/or CD-RW drives for audio delay
would be beter,but audio sync would would
need to be figured out while interlocking.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 07:43 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,

I think that bobby has as many players as screens! I can't realize how to project in dts in more than one screen with just one player...

Bye
Antonio

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 09:17 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean by those bugs, when you're copying CDs. I have made a compilation disk of various movie scores on a cd and tried several times to make a copy of that disk, but It always has a glich in it somewhere. A silent spot. Does it really make a difference to use those blank CDs that are certified for music? Or is it something I'm doing wrong with the copy software. I have two drives, one a regular cd rom and the other an HP burner. I always copy at the slowest rate hoping to not rush the copy process. What am I doing wrong????

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-23-2001 09:27 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there is no problem regarding the number of DTS players in the theater. The Carmike 8 has 7 DTS units, with an 8th DTS unit apparently on the way (either in the form of a DTS-6AD or a DTS-6D packaged with a Smart 5.1 capable cinema processor).

I too would be surprised if DTS, or the film distributor (who actually holds the copyright on the audio contained on the disc) would have any problem with dupe CD-Rs made. Such CDs are completely useless without the film print. DTS cinema CD audio gets the corresponding film title number, reel number, frame number and other synch information from the time code on the print. The first two DTS movies ("Jurassic Park" and "Heart and Souls") did not have the film ID information so you had cases of dinosaurs roaring in a mild supernatural comedy. That can't happen now. You have to have the correct discs and correct film print for the audio to play at all.

Anyway, the plan is to just throw the CD-R dupes in the garbage once the interlock showings of "Pearl Harbor" are finished.

If the "Pearl Harbor" prints don't come in today, I may try a dry run using discs from the one show on screen 7 that has no DTS player at the moment. The idea of dubbing the CD image to the hard disc sounds pretty good. I have plenty of space (80GB HDD divided up into 2 logical 40GB drives).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-23-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "music" CD-R disks are no better or worse than regular CD-Rs. They exist only because of lobbying efforts by the RIAA to intentionally cripple standalone (non-computer) consumer-grade CD burners to prevent them from writing to standard CD-R media. The "music" CD-R blanks are more expensive because part of the cost is a "tax" which is distributed to RIAA member record companies in order to ostensibly defray the cost of making unlicensed copies of recordings whose copyrights are owned by RIAA members. Of course, this leaves out the possibility that many consumers might want to use their "fair use" rights under the US copyright law to make the permissible single backup copy of copyrighted works or might even want to copy music to which they own the rights (for garage bands, etc.) or which is in the public domain. Also, unlicensed copying of music owned by non-RIAA members is not addressed.

Sorry for the rant. I'm totally against copyright infringement, but I also believe in the concept of "fair use" (for example, my right to make a tape recording or CD compilation for use in my car or in a portable player of recordings which I already legitimately own in other formats). I also disagree with the idea that the RIAA _is_ the record industry (it isn't, and primarily exists to represent the interests of the major labels and not those of the smaller record companies, who may well suffer even more from copyright infringement). I guess this whole thing just sort of irks me because it has been demonstrated many times that copy-protection schemes for software (computer code, music recordings, etc.) don't work; they don't solve the real problem of the big-time pirates, yet they do succeed in annoying legitimate users who want to make use of the software within the allowed constraints of "fair use."

Note, also, that professional-grade standalone CD-R units do not require these special disks, just as professional-grade DAT machines (which, today, includes pretty much every DAT machine in current production) ignore SCMS coding, which was the product of a similar RIAA lobbying effort. As it happens, SCMS pretty much killed DAT as a consumer format, and is easily bypassed, as anyone who knows people who collect (legitimate) Grateful Dead or Phish bootleg tapes is fully aware.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2001 12:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I would not hesitate to make copies as long as they stay in the booth and are destroyed after the run of the film. Just return the originals with the feature when it leaves !
Theatre owners pay allot of $$ for DTS players and the usual lack of the seperate discs for most films has long been my gripe of this system. If it were my theatre I'd certainly do it no questions asked. Who's ever going to know.........?
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-23-2001 04:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Scott... you answered a few questions I had about music CD-Rs. Also, SCMS is a joke. I doubt it is saving the recording industry much, if any $$$. It is just as annoying as Macrovision, but not quite as easy to defeat (Macrovision causes reduced video quality, y'know.)

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 04:36 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which...I've already emailed Karen about this, but we really need DTS discs for 'Elvis: That's the way it is' because the local distributor doesn't have any. Now, if only someone over there had them, we could get creative with a broadband internet connection...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: