Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Unbalanced loads on QSC amp

Author Topic: Unbalanced loads on QSC amp
Mike Colley
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2001 06:48 PM      Profile for Mike Colley   Email Mike Colley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are adding a second sub to one of our auditoriums and I would like to know: is there anything wrong with this scenario? One QSC Model 1400 amp running: Channel one- One JBL stage speaker (8 ohm, center channel), Channel two- Two JBL 18" subs (8 ohm wired parallel-?four ohms?). Would this seriosly compromise performance of the center channel? Any other possible problems? Thanks in advance for the help.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2001 07:41 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off the top of my head, I'd say it should be okay, but it would be helpful to know more details about the system, such as do the other screen channels use one amp channel or are they bridged? As far as having different speaker loads on each channel I cant see a problem as long as the amp is configured for stereo operation. In some bi-amp situations, one amp is used for both frequency ranges(i.e. channel 1 feeds the H.F. horn and channel 2 feeds the lows.) Usually the bass cabinets are between 4 and 8 ohms, but some High freq. compression drivers can be 16 ohms.Some amp manufacturers even make active crossovers that do just this. However if you are running bridged amps on the other screen channels, I would not suggest underpowering the centre channel.
Cheers!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 05:13 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

Stereo channels in an amplifiers are two differents amplifiers. You should not have any problem with the center channel.
However I wonder if one channel of an QSC 1400 is enough for two JBL 18" Subwoofer...
I didn't found info on QSCaudio.com about your amplifier so I can't help you but that amp seems a bit overloaded to me.

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-23-2001 08:40 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a problem we do it all the time
The amp will have no problem with 4 ohm loads

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2001 12:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will work fine but the question again is what is the size of your room, what db level are you shooting for and will the 1400 let you achieve that level?
Mark @ GTS

John Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2001 03:30 PM      Profile for John Gordon   Email John Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike,
As stated in the comments above, you can run two different loads on the 1400 amp. As Gordon stated, it is done all the time.

There is a caution though, and that is be sure not to underpower your room.

As per your questions, yes wiring two 8 ohm drivers in parallel will yield a 4 ohm load. The power rating of the 1400 at 4 ohms is about 400W. Make sure this will be enough power for your configuration.
Using a target goal of 113dB SPL (+20dB above headroom) for center of auditorium, free field calculation shows no larger than a 40 foot room (length). What is the size of your room?

------------------
John Gordon
Cinema Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, Inc.
1675 MacArthur Blvd.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 957-7100
john_gordon@qscaudio.com
http://www.qscaudio.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-23-2001 06:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you will have a problem. Those QSC's have plenty of OOMPH!!! to do the job.

However, make sure the amplifier is operationg in the STEREO mode, if you are using one channel for your subs and the other channel for center (or anything else.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: