Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS Mounting Kit

Author Topic: SDDS Mounting Kit
Michael Labbe
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2001 01:38 PM      Profile for Michael Labbe   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Labbe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just completed a three screen addition to a theater in my area. All of the equipment was purchased used. I think I would rather deal with a ten screen new install then to install three used systems. They are using SDDS as their digital system and the reader mounting kit(docking plate) is not available. All I need is the standard plate as it is mounting on a Century C. I had no idea how difficult it was going to be to get this little item. Anyone have any ideas where I can look.

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2001 12:30 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did you try giving SDDS a call?

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2001 02:20 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we called SDDS...

SDDS West Coast:
UH...a what? Try calling our east coast office.

SDDS East Coast:
UH...a what? Try calling our west coast office.

I think that's the reason they are the leader in digital cinema sound!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2001 02:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you need three of these, or just one?

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2001 01:29 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I may have to go check out that theater now that they have those three other screens set-up and (mostly) operational…

…but SDDS?!

silly silly silly

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2001 05:28 AM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of SDDS, I cannot clean the prints in my SDDS houses because there is not a place to mount the film cleaner. I have noticed though that in the tips: how to thread properly section that there is a plate that mounts on the side of the AW3 for the film cleaner. Is this a little personal design or is this out on the market, and if so what is the info needed to order?

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2001 01:20 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

They just need one. Although if you know who might have more, that would be great info.

Thanks.

Gracia,

The larger of the three houses is good sized. They're using a Christie H-30 3000W lamphouse. It should look pretty decent once the screen is turned around (the screen contractor hung it backwards).

Hey, that would make an interesting signature quotation:
"This side toward audience"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-21-2001 03:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuel, do you have a film cleaning bracket being used as a "support" for the SDDS reader like this?

Oh how I hate techs who set them up in this manner because they are too lazy to mount the reader properly as is shown below.

Anyway, the bracket pictured below is made by Kelmar and is available from your normal dealer.

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2001 03:23 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats what I was looking for, and yes the bracket is supporting the SDDS.

Thanks Brad

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-23-2001 08:24 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't use the film cleaner mount as a support - well you can, but it naturally allows 2 different threading path lengths and one of them is going to ruin your sound sync. The film cleaner has to be on top, above any digital readers.
I'm not sure about the 3000, but the 2000 reader needs a spacer between it and the projector about the size of the film cleaner mount - Sony didn't think too much apparently and the minimum distance from aperture to reader is more than a close mounting allows. With the spacer installed, the minimum possible offset count is about right on a Simplex, so a Century should be similar.
Probably the threading path on the 3000 reader - kinda long, eh? - allows close mounting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-23-2001 01:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, look at the middle picture above. The SDDS unit is mounted right on top of a Christie projector. Now look at the picture below of an SDDS unit mounted directly atop a Simplex. It can be done and it is not hard. The use of a cleaner bracket (or dts bracket) is not necessary.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: