Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS faulty toshiba drives

Author Topic: DTS faulty toshiba drives
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2001 03:34 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.

I have a "new" (1996 but never used) DTS6D with toshiba drives.
Is there a way to recognize the toshiba faulty units I've seen on "Joe" reviews?
Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-14-2001 05:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the Toshiba drives work, they just work. When they die, you'll know....and it usually happens on a Friday night during a sell-out crowd.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-14-2001 05:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they look exactly like the drives pictured in my review (either black or vanilla colored), then chances are that you have a Toshiba drive.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-14-2001 05:34 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forget the external appearences but you could always take the lid off and look to see if the drives say "Toshiba" on them. They are right there when you remove the cover. You shouldn't have to do anything more than look.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-14-2001 08:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy seems to have the easiest and most foolproof idea here.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-14-2001 08:27 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most foolproof ideas often DO come from the most foolish people, don't they?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2001 11:53 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys,

I think what Antonio is asking is if there is a way to tell if the Toshiba drives that he has are some of the ones that he read about.

Like a certain batch, or serial # group.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2001 02:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Randy admitted to being foolish, which is why we misunderstood the question! It's all Randy's fault!

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2001 04:21 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce is right.

My player has Toshiba drives (I saw them!) but I wonder if there is a way to know in advance if that players will be the "faulty" ones...
I've noted that that toshiba drives has some mechanism to work also vertically: all toshiba has that damn thing (you need three hand to put a CD in the unit)?

Bye
Antonio

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-16-2001 12:12 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was my understanding that all Toshiba drives in the DTS units were condemned and should be replaced. Can anyone verify that for sure?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: