Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Spilcer Cleaning (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Spilcer Cleaning
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 01:34 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, one of the biggest problems I have in my booth is keeping the splicers clean so that they make a clean/sharp cut on the splice tape. The actual film cutting arm does fine, but that damn tape cutter, that's another story. If you take them apart, they NEVER cut properly again, or from my experience anyway... Anyone have any helpful suggestions/tips for me to pass along to my booth guys?

There's no need to have to splice and re-splice... And who wants to hear that god awful sound drum pop from a stiff/rough splice????

BTW, I'm using a CPI economy splicer, a Marble economy splicer & a Neumade (I think it is) double dispener splicer.... and it's time for all of them to be cleaned... I tried the CPI splicer cleaner stuff, but I'm not overly impressed with it at this point. Maybe I could try fingernail polish remover or acetone to remove the glue 'gunk' from the tape cutters and the perf punchers??

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

|  IP: Logged

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 03:58 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,

As you probably know, rule #1 with splicers is do it one at a time, as many of the parts come in matched sets, and only work within those matched sets.

As for a good product to clean with, try Mineral Spirits. You can get it at any Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc. Look in the paint section next to the paint thinner. It's great for cleaning up adheasive residue.

Generally, if the film and tape cutting assemblies are in good physical shape, I'll soak them in a bit of Mineral Spirits for about a minute, then wipe off the residue, and re-assemble.

Hope this helps,

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 08:44 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lighter fluid works too. (Just don't light any matches near it!)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-12-2001 08:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of glue/gunk problem may be the quality of the tape you are using. Generally Neumade tape will not gunk up your splicer they way the cheaper tapes will.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 10:39 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use mineral spirits to soak the cutting head on CIRO splicers and then scrub it with a toothbrush. Any other residue that may be left I use lighter fluid on it. Cleans 'em right up.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 11:15 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a product called "Energine" that is sold as a spot remover. It is 100% Naptha, which is the same stuff that is in lighter fluid. It works great and is cheaper than lighter fluid. It comes in a little white metal can. You can find it at drug stores like "Long's Drugs". My next quest is to find some pads to replace the "round cotton flats" that I use to clean before splicing. Ones that don't leave fibres behind.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-12-2001 02:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to wholeheartedly agree with Steve on this one. While switching to Neumade tape will not solve your existing problem, once you get those splicers clean you should stop buying that other tape. I have used Neumade splicers exclusively with Neumade clear tape (the yellow stuff isn't as good, even though it is from Neumade) for periods of 3 years without any need for cleaning, except to dump the catch bin several times on the underside.

What kind of tape are you using now? Start ordering Neumade clear. If you must use some sort of other tape for marking reasons, clean up the Neumade splicer and load up Neumade clear tape and do not use anything else in it. Use the other splicers for the junk tape. The Neumade splicer is clearly the best one you have.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-12-2001 04:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally dislike the neumade tape.
I have found the best tape is the Marble/CPI tape (same as Jock Roe UK)
I find it leaves clean strong splices and peels off with no gunk left behind

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 06:59 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To all who replied,

Thanks. I'll be trying the lighter fluid method when I return Monday. I've been using CPI clear for many months now, but my residue problem *could* be from a run of tape prior to the CPI stuff.

Will post results later in the week.

CIAO,

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-12-2001 07:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CPI has a splicer cleaning kit available as well with a solvent, and basically everything you would need to clean any splicer (they provide disassembly and cleaning instructions for NeuTaper and 'Cinesplicer' (same as Marble's splicer) splicers...

Aaron

Lance C. McFetridge
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 08:40 PM      Profile for Lance C. McFetridge   Email Lance C. McFetridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree with Gordon. I dislike the Neumade tape and have great results with tape purchased from Entertainment Equipment. Which I believe is made in the UK.
lance

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-12-2001 11:03 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try using Goo Gone. It will remove the tape residue, but be sure to use some form of a degreaser afterwords, as the GG is Petrolium based. The smell it leaves behind will leave you high for a while

Josh

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-13-2001 02:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that's two people who have stated a dislike for the Neumade tape, yet listed no reason. What's the reason fellas?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-13-2001 08:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it doesn't adhere as well to well used prints and it will stretch

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-07-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so what do you use to remove the sticky residue from the film? I would feel a little hesitant to use naptha on a irreplaceable print. any suggestions?

Josh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: