Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS on pc (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS on pc
Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 05:15 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to run a DTS cd on a computer? I can see a program called dts.exe which seems to run. I get te following message:

Just a moment... waiting for timecode reader reset

Then it won't do a thing...

I'm just experimenting a little bit, because I found a disc that got lost in our theater (btw a bad thing ofcourse... nothing hill)

|  IP: Logged

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 05:50 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uhm nothing hill = notting hill

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-11-2001 05:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can run a DTS disc on your PC if you do the following:

1. Install all of the DTS playback hardware cards.

2. Install a DTS timecode reader (or use a DTS timecode generator, which costs more than a reader, IIRC).

3. Install 2 or 3 SCSI CDROM drives and SCSI controller tha is compatible with the DTS hardware.

4. Have a DTS print handy that matches your discs (not necessary if you had a t/c gen)

By the time this is all done you'd be better off getting a real DTS unit, as that way would be cheaper.

Running DTS.exe on most PC's usually does nothing, sometimes it makes your system reboot. Without timecode its useless.

Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-11-2001 05:54 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It won't run. Time code or not. The PC will not know what the digital information represents, unless you have the hardware installed in the computer designed to read it and convert it into six channel audio. Besides, most PC's use analog output from the CDROM drives that feed directly into the sound card. DTS uses the digital output from the SCSI drives that is routed to the specialized hardware.

I think the files of a DTS disc are AUD files.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-11-2001 06:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey IAN!!!!! !!!!

Remember that old guy "George" who used to come to the Greenwood every now and then? You would give him DTS discs, as he claimed he could play them on his PC. He liked to listen to the music scores, etc...

Can you explain this? How was he able to do this? Or was he just insane like I have always thought? I think they eventually banned him from the theater if I remember correctly, after you left.

Joe Grace
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 09:01 PM      Profile for Joe Grace   Email Joe Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always thought about the idea of making a DTS player with off the shelf hardware in a rack mount computer case, the problem is geting 6 channels of audio out of a soundblaster and messing with software to de-crypt the audio files and figuring out how to have the timecode reader interface with the computer, it will be a neat project someday.

Joe

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-12-2001 12:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. I believe that DTS's codec (compression/decompression scheme) is proprietary. Good luck getting off the shelf parts for that at Comp USA! It's only after that when you will need to worry about getting 6 channels of audio out of your computer!

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 05:50 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it should be possible to decode them someway...

Because if you can read the files (.AUD) you should be able to decode them using special software. However I don't know if such a program exists... Maybe you can fake the timecode reader with some software trick.

It seems to me that the original DTS hardware consists primary of computer hardware products (on a DTS disc is a program DTS.exe which runs at a dos prompt... in the DTS directory is a .txt file)

I don't know how that hardware works because we don't use it... Is there a option display with 3 options like the dts.exe program produces?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 06:50 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,
To test sound system in one of our theater I usually connect an old AT keyboard to the DTS 6D, load a disk, wait for "system" led blinking.
Then I press "ESC" in keyboard, to return on main menu.
On main menu I have:
1. Play with timecode
2. Play without timecode
3. I do not remember!

I select 2 and Enter. Wait to have the track list.
I select the track and I press enter, the player goes in Digital and I can hear the soundtrack in the theater without print.
I enjoy myself listening all THX trailer, sometimes!
I have to do all these operations without see any screen of course. I think that with a VGA card onboard you should see also the screens. IMHO a VGA card could be useful because the screen "play with timecode" contains many many useful information: number of break, status of the player, etc etc.
So since on my PC dts disks are able to spin up my CD rom, I think that install all audio cards in a PC could be enought.
Joe,
DTS's codec is not propietary. It is APTX100 (www.aptx.com). Just buy few chips (in a DTS you can find 5 of them) and build your own sound card!!!

With Cool edit I was able to partially decode a .au track and I was able to hear 20thfox fanfare behind something similar to the "pink noise".

Bye
Antonio

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 08:38 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to do that at my old theater, but they changed the system later so you can't do that anymore

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 11:40 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd say the algorithm is proprietary. It just belongs to APT not DTS. APT's website says they now have a software only decoder. With the information available on DTS's and APT's websites it's only a matter of time before someone figures out how to decode the disks with just a PC and a SoundBlaster. If you think there is a problem now with DTS disks not being returned, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 07:28 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's so much easier and so much cheaper to buy a 5.1 channel amp/decoder and a DVD player...I have 800 bucks invested in a home theater system that has six channel sound. Save your time and don't steal DTS disks. I mean this totally towards the people that are trying to crack the AlGor(e)ythms and junk. But hey, the more people like you think, the cooler technology gets!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 07:58 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Joe, there was an old man named George who claimed that he could play the DTS discs off of his computer. He said that he had old nitrate films with multiple soundtracks on them. He also claimed that his stereo had 80 different Altec A4s to play each individual instrument in an orchestra. He also claimed that he used to be a recording engineer for Carnegie Hall in NYC. He then spent many years as an engineer for Ma Bell Labs. He also had a twin-engined airplane that he used to fly to concerts in Chicago. I believe he also had a pipe organ in his living room. George also claimed he was helping channel 9 with some HDTV tests. He claimed to have been shot in the hip during Korea, which is why he had to walk 6 miles a day. (We, of course, where on his route every morning)

For all I knew, he was just an old man who walked around and collected cans. I don't know if he could read the DVD on his CD-ROM drive or not.

But one thing he did tell me was that I was too smart to be wasting my life working for UA and that I should get off my butt and do something else. So I did.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-12-2001 10:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I guess if it were not for George you'd still be working at Greenwood! As thanks, you should send him a set of DTS discs for Freddy Got Fingered or The Mummy Returns!

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2001 09:32 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, "Freddy Got Fingered" was not in DTS.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: