Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is Film-Guard? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: What is Film-Guard?
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 03:20 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone.

I've ordered a bottle of film-guard. I've done for my own curiosity: we don't have any cleaner device (I clean the film each week manually) and I've bought it just because I would like to see how it works on little piece of print (I'm trying it on Dolby trailers that are very expensive!).
When I've opened the FG bottle, I had no doubt. In Italy we have a spray lubricant called "CRC". I don't know if it exist in USA. Well, Film-Guard smells EXACTLY like CRC. Also touching it I have the same sensation. I will try to clean a print with CRC...
Brad, mine was just a tought, I'm not accusing you of course!
And, most important, I have to try the cleaned trailers...

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2001 05:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of CRC. Who makes it?

Also remember that 1 ounce of FG is enough to clean an entire print. Most people go a little overboard when they clean a film by hand. Not that you will, but just something to take note of.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-11-2001 05:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: I am sure that Antonio is referring to one of the spray lubricant products from CRC:
http://www.crcindustries.com

Aaron

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 05:59 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya gotta love a company with a product called "Screwloose" Could be something to add to the practical joke thread.

"Hey newbie, go up in the booth and see if Joe has a screwloose!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-11-2001 07:17 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Brad's formula is a concoption of seven secret herbs and spices...

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 07:57 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio
Get the Kelmar cleaner, you'll be glad you did. I don't think you'll get a real good example of how well it can work, using FG by hand

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 09:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pic on the left was taken several months ago. I am still nursing that same bottle today!

I always apply FG by hand and have had excellent results using layers of soft cloth between the rewinds.

One of my IB prints looks 200% better than it did before. 100% for the image, and 100% for the scratches in the soundtrack area!

It would cost waay--too---much for me to get a Kelmar cleaner, much less adapt it to a Holmes 8! (good )

Even the 16mm candy gauge junk looks and runs beautifully.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 06:39 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Aaron is right. It seems that CRC industries is also in USA. Try their CRC 5-55 or the "marine" one and compare it with Film Guard.
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I've noted that applying FG by hands is not simple, too much FG go on print. Unfortunately I don't think that my manager will buy a print cleaner for me. We have to buy a cleaner for another theater. I will try to convince my manager about film-guard (I have to see the results on my trailers before!! ).

Bye
Antonio

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-12-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I'll disagree with the "don't apply FG by hand" people. I've had nothing but positive experiences with applying it by hand to 16mm prints. I've used the Christie cleaner for 35mm, but I don't see any reason why hand application wouldn't work, although it would definitely be harder to get an even coat of FG.

Rachel Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2001 01:31 AM      Profile for Rachel Carter   Email Rachel Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Film Guard? A tasty new beverage developed by Brad. It tastes as good as it works!

Everytime that I have used FG I have applied it by hand (seeing how thats the only way I can do it at my theater ), it works great. Just like some of the guys above me said, make sure you don't overdue it. Just a little bit it as you need.

Getting all my prints after the big guys have handled, thrown them on the floor, and spilled beverages of MANY kinds on them FG makes a huge difference in the quality of the print.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2001 10:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, Bruce,
Ill give you a deal on a Kelmar cleanerr that would be hard to turn down. They cost less than you might think!

Mark @ GTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2001 06:58 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I'm just a projectionist, I can't pay for my theater!

Bye
Antonio

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2001 09:42 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark:

I'm just broke.

The way I do it is giving excellent results.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2001 10:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,
Get the theater to buy it....why should you have to?
Bruce, Stop drinking the stuff and then you could afford one. Drinking Film-Guard gets a bit expensive!
Mark @ GTS

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-14-2001 11:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not being a projectionist, I can't really find use for Film Guard (other than perhaps drinking it --how many bottles does it take to get a good buzz?).

What I would like to know is where I can order the spray bottle of Baby Quiet. It seems to be impossible to find on most store shelves, probably thanks to all the meth addicts and glue sniffers in the area.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: