Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New QSC RMX Power Amps (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New QSC RMX Power Amps
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2001 10:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I installed six of these new amps. When they arrived I was shocked to see printed on the carton in several places...Made In China. I hope these are not being made in Red China! This kinda pissed me off a bit as I assumed that I was buying American made products for my customer.
There is no complaint from me on performance, or facilities. Its as good or better than the other QSC's and they are very cheap to boot, well see how reliable they are. But the made in China part doesn't sit too well with me. All I can think of is sweat shop labor and people that are so deprived of lifes normal things that its not very funny. Any thoughts form anyone else on this issue...? Is QSC going all Chineese now?
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-09-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Jeeze - another quality product will bite the dust shortly. Made in China, no less. How Trashy!!!!! Guess I'll go back to BGW if the opportunity presents itself.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-09-2001 10:51 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, if they don't have off-shore labor manufacturing their products, those product could cost much, much more.

As someone who works in the electronics industry, having electronic equipment assembled overseas is pretty much the norm. While having China do it is a bit new, the prices they are charging are just that: 'sweat shop labor' rate. Yet America is quite happy not look too close at any human right issues because the price is cheap.

If anyone really wants to make a difference and send a message, simply don't buy QSC products made in China. Amps are expensive, so even if it turns out that they really are made in a sweat shop, people won't stop buying them. It's not like they are cheap shirts or shoes, which you can go buy cheap elsewhere for.

I'm not directly anti-China (or anti-QSC) but this problem is being supported by American greed, and the willingness of China to make a buck off of that greed.

Just my own 0.02.

John Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 12:17 PM      Profile for John Gordon   Email John Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The QSC RMX amplifier was designed by QSC engineers, but yes it is assembled in China. And, the RMX amplifier IS NOT intended for the cinema market. Our cinema dealers are not authorized to sell RMX to cinemas.

The RMX amps do not have the right feature sets for cinema. The RMX amplifier is for the retail/MI market--individuals looking for an inexpensive amp for their DG rig or for a small band.

One of the reasons why the RMX came about, is because of buyers wanting an inexpensive amp, consumer demand.

Plus, as for that "made in America" product, you would be very very hard pressed to find an amplifier from any company that is completely American made. Many of the parts in amplifiers are sourced from export countries. That's the way it is, world commerce. And we are much better off because of world commerce.

------------------
John Gordon
Cinema Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, Inc.
1675 MacArthur Blvd.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 957-7100
john_gordon@qscaudio.com
http://www.qscaudio.com

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-10-2001 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE: RMX amplifier

The RMX is a cheap/basic amplifier.

It's strengths are that they are only 2-U tall and inexpensive.

They are heavy and not terribly shallow. Their attenuators are also located on the front (making them somewhat cinema unfriendly). Unlike the DCA amps, their knobs protrude.

For inexpensive Cinema amplifiers, stick with the USA and ISA line. The USA line having a nice shallow depth, the ISA accepting crossovers and other features.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2001 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually they sound pretty darn good, as good as most cinema type amps I have listened to. The China connection is my only downside to them.
I never use plug in modules(crossovers) of any type so this doesn't weigh into this picture either. I always prefered an outboard x-over. They are not that expensive.The height and depth is actually very good. I hated the shallow depth of the USA series as I had to crawl into the rack or console to hook em up. The depth is about right IMHO and makes it easier for hookup. The heatsinking seems adaquate and is essentially a fan blowing down an air tunnel/heatsink arrangement for cooling. This brings back shades of the Huge amp BGW used to build known as the "Arc Welders Special" It too used an air tunnel for cooling.

Weather or not these amps are intended for the cinema or not is yet to be determined, at least by myself and for my own use. They are certainly better than the 6 channel single amps that I know of that some people put in cheap sound systems. IN this case, I was in need of a cheap amplifier in a certain price range and these fit the bill nicely. In this case the depth was irrelivent as the other equipment living in the consoles rack was about as deep....A DA-20 for instance was also in the rack and is as deep. The torid power transformer in these is a nice addition and far more efficient than its iron laminate counterpart as used in the USA amps. In/Out facilities are better than on the USA series and they have the same dip switch settings as well.Build quality is very nice, Heavy chassis, and I say as good as any other QSC amplifier.

Unfortunately QSC has priced the USA series way out of line. I was told by the rep the USA series is being discontinued. Oh well...I'll use the RMX from time to time as as long as they are reliable as the price of these is comparable to my old pricing on the USA 900.

Steve, Actually the amps are fairly recessed into the rack as compared to the way other amps mount, and the knobs are not really too bad off. This is something easily covered up too. I too would prefer to see them on the back though.
Mark @ GTS

John Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 06:31 PM      Profile for John Gordon   Email John Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I'm not sure where you received your information, but the USA series of amplifiers have not been discontinued. Sales of the USA series have fallen, thereby our costs have gone up, which led to a price increase. We still make the USA series.

If you want better performance and on a tight budget, our new ISA series is what you should be looking into, not the RMX--for reasons stated in my previous post.

And of course for the best solution would be to use the DCM crossover with DCA amplifiers.

------------------
John Gordon
Cinema Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, Inc.
1675 MacArthur Blvd.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 957-7100
john_gordon@qscaudio.com
http://www.qscaudio.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2001 10:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
My info comes from the local rep here.
Mark @ GTS

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 11:27 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another example of an excellent company that manufactures in China is Rotel. They have always produced amazing sounding electronics for the money by manufacturing offshore.

For example, even the most esoteric and fastidious audio reviewers in the industry feel that the Rotel RMB-1090 is one of the best sounding amplifiers on the market at any price (but especially when one considers the price).

So the point is, it can be done well.

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2001 03:49 AM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mr Gordon!!

Thank you for your kind words many months ago!!!! I was inquiring into your RMX amps that all the comotion seems to be about. Pricing..availability...dealers...and specs on the amps. (Not to be used in theaters of course but possibly highschool mini mixing rooms) Made in China? hmmmmm everything else is too...or Taiwan.....or India,Pakistan etc... at this point it would be hypocritical of me to start chosing whom to buy due to origin of manufacturing so Sign me up!!! QSC has always been the best in everything and I'm sure some of those engineers were still driving their foreign cars to work and had lunch in foreign owned Orange county restaurants. Jees. QSC bashing should be taboo!! (OPINION)

RORY

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 12:29 AM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only thought on sweatshop made electronics is they should be advertised in big letters on the front of the equipment saying made in ... . That way I know before I purchase the product, not after. My choice would be gear from countries that I'd have no questions of sweatshops and worker oppression. It is hard today to buy most consumer products that are not made elsewhere, but putting a little effort into looking for goods made in countries that you know allow unions, allow people decent lifestyles can only be good. Hell- should we even care if some kid in china is working his ass off if we can get a good price on a amp ?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-12-2001 09:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"And of course for the best solution would be to use the DCM crossover with DCA amplifiers."<<

Certainly, an OPINION expressed by someone working for the manufacturer.

As to the USA amps, Mark... Depending on the rack, the shallow depth is nice...ie working in a shallow wall rack or even in a 20" floor standing rack the shallow depth may be necessary.

The use of deep amplifiers with weight generally has me using rear hangers for the amps to prevent sagging. For instance, all of my MXa series amps are strapped front and rear. One thing Crown used to be good about was trying to get the center of gravity as close to the front as possible to prevent sagging. You already know my dim view of putting the sound inside of the console so I won't rehash it here. I generally prefer the medium-deep racks anyway (25"). It allows me to keep the various signal levels separated and wire paths neater.

As to outboard crossovers, why increase your wiring? The QSC line of XC-1, XC-3 crossovers and the SF-1 or SF-3 sub filter (including B-6 tuning) do an adequate job and are quite flexible for getting the contour you may want. Generally, 1/3 octave EQing is reduced to turing a couple of mid-bass trims (depending on room quality and speaker response, of course). This presumes a 2-way system, I know you like 3-ways so in that case, I could see going outboard though QSC does offer a 3-way module for the DCA line in addition to their DCM monitor/crossovers.

Back to the RMX...I am curious as to why QSC would not encourage it's use in Cinema. While QSC has certainly made cinema specific amplifiers, at the core, an amplifier is an amplifier. If the RMX has enough of a feature set for the installer and end-user why not take advantage of it's low cost?

Personally, I'm getting used to the VERY light weight of the DCA amps with their soft starts when lugging up 80 or so amps on a complex, I'll take the 20 pounders, you can have the 40-50 pounders!

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-12-2001 09:39 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I for one question what the big deal is of made in china considering most electronic components are made in the far east anyway.
Since it is designed by QSC and QC'd to there standards I don't really have a problem.
As for labour policies in other country's that I look at as there own internal matter not mine

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-12-2001 12:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is a quality issue with QSC's design.

I think it is a quality issue in assembling. Some electronic equipment I have seen coming from China just does not seem to hole up as well, (poor wave soldering techniques, and defective components) just to name two.

In fact, NOTHING I have ever purchased that was made in China never had a long life expectancy, as compared to Japan.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2001 09:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MY QSC rep stopped in Friday to clear some of this up. He said that the circuit of these amps is almost identical to the model 1400. I felt that the build quality was also very good and as good as any other QSC amp I have looked inside of. I think in this case we'll have to wait and see for 6 months or so how they hold up. Since I put most of these on Surround channel duty they are being subjected to more grueling work than they might normally be. I'll wait 6 months and see how it goes. If they have not failed by then I would assume that they probably won't fail and I'll continue to use em. They are dirt cheap and perform just as well as many others!

Steve, I've never really had to lug anything up into a booth except on rental jobs. I've always brought in a forklift for that job, or hired some strong ushers that'll do it for a few bucks! In most cases they're glad to help out anyway. Why chance ruining your back? As far as using the newer lighter amps I am against the extra cost of them, they are not just a little more expensive but allot. Quite frankly, why spend a third to almost double in some cases for an equivelent power rated amp? This money can be spent elsewhere to gain higher system performance, such as three way speakers, or better analog x-overs, and using the cheaper, heavier amplifiers does not constrain the performance of a system at all. I just feel it pays to spend the money where you'll get the biggest return, and it's usually in the speakers, not in the amps.
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: