Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CNA200 Fire Alarm shut down

Author Topic: CNA200 Fire Alarm shut down
Steffan Laugharne
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2001 01:57 PM      Profile for Steffan Laugharne   Email Steffan Laugharne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been installing Strong CNA200 automation with Dolby CP650's. In a number of multiplexes, when the fire alarm goes off (contacts that are NO become closed)and the projector shuts down. This is fine when films are running, but if any theatres are between performances with Non-Sync playing, the CP650 does not switch to mute.

I have two questions;

a) has anybody else encountered this and
b) is there any way with inside front panel dip switches that the processor can be switched to a film sound format on fire alarm shut down(the idea being that if the projectors are stopped then no sound will be routed through the processor should one be in Non-sync mode).

All the best

Steff

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-10-2001 12:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the CNA automations can do a "Fire Stop"...this was not an original feature but has been added on the current units. If you read your manual, it should tell you which dip switch to set for "FIRE STOP"...one of the features of "Fire Stop" is that it will put out a "Mute" pulse to the cinema processor.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Steffan Laugharne
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 02:08 PM      Profile for Steffan Laugharne   Email Steffan Laugharne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve

We've activated this function and wired accordingly on all installs, but it seems the CP650 still will not come out of non-sync. Is there a function in the CNA200 which will allow selection of a film sound format on fire alarm stop? Since the projetor stops, this will mute the sound, and if a theatre is between performances on non-sync this will also mute the sound by switching to a film format. It seems there may be a glitch in the CNA software or automation interface? Has anyone else had this particular problem?

We've overcome this on screens with CP45's by linking the mute terminal on the break out board in the CNA to Mono (since the Mute fuction does not exist on this processor).

Steff

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 04:13 PM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steffan;

I'm checking with our developers and will confirm, but I think what you say is correct.

What might be happening is that since these systems are already in an Intermission mode, there is no film presentation to stop.

I think the fire stop input is effective only if the automation is actually running a program. The normal intermission mode, such as you describe, is a state where the automation is NOT running any program, so there's literally nothing to stop.

I'll post back when I get some more information.

Pat

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2001 04:53 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stefan,

I observed precisely this condition on a CNA200/CP650 install, the CNA does not mute the sound if it's in intermission. It really needs to as some fire officers are very unhappy about this.

At least the CP650 doesn't stay in mute at every other lens change like the CP500 is want to do....

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-11-2001 08:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Stefan,

I didn't read your message properly, I apologize....I missed the part where the problem is when the fire alarm goes off while in Non-Sync.

If you have a master music system with distribuition amps...why not have a relay hooked to your alarm that interrupts the music feed to the DA system? This will kill it in the lobby and all theatres.

Steve

------------------

Steffan Laugharne
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2001 03:33 AM      Profile for Steffan Laugharne   Email Steffan Laugharne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve

Unfortunately or fortunately (depends on your POV), the chain that I install for follow the usual UK practice of having separate CD players for each screen (such that non-sync music may be tailored to the mood of the feature)so I'd have to inturrupt the non-sync in each sound rack which I don't really want to do.

It would be nice if there were a fix within the CNA200 involving dip switches/ software upgrade.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-12-2001 09:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice comeback!

Steve

------------------

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-12-2001 09:40 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have my book with me but I believe you could use a blocking diode from the firealarm and a single relay to control the mute function directly

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2001 10:23 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might not a simple solution be to have the normally open contacts of the fire-alarm panel feed a relay that would interupt the a.c. feed to the non/sync source?
Simpler still, of course, would be to feed the ac for the non/sync source through the normally closed contacts of the alarm panel, provided that it is rated for the current and voltage required.

Steffan Laugharne
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2001 04:21 PM      Profile for Steffan Laugharne   Email Steffan Laugharne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick,

This would be an option if we didn't have a CD player in each screen. This idea works well for the other chain I install and service since there is a distribution amp for non-sync. The other problem with your plan is that each CD player is fed from the same power strip as the processor and amplifiers. I wouldn't like the supply to the amps to be broken due to the fire alarm in case the supply was resumed. So I still need a solution to the shutdown problem!!!!!!!

All the best chaps

Steff

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: