Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Changing Oil in a Century SA

Author Topic: Changing Oil in a Century SA
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2001 10:15 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how do you change the oil in a Century SA? AFAIK, we have never done this (at least in the past 3 years). I had been under the mistaken impression (fostered by my GM) that this did not need to be done. I now know I'm wrong, but still don't know how to do it. Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2001 10:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, Your GM should be fired! He's definately a know nothing. He's probably never changed the oil in his car either. In fact I doubt that he is a very good bean counter either.
To drain it place a rag just below the movement and with it framed all the way down loosen the very bottem screw to the lower right of the oil level window, and remove it. The oil will drain out onto the rag...there isn't much...an even better reason to change it once a month in an SA when on platters. Be sure when you remove the screw that you don't loose the copper washer, fibre washer, or steel washer. If they do come off replace them onto the screw in this order. Steel washer first, fibre washer second, and copper washer last. Its the copper washer that actually seals! When its doen draining replace the screw with the washers in the proper order and re-fill the movement with either Century type oil,or better yet, LaVezzi intermittent oil. The LaVezzi will outlast the regular stuff, not break down and not turn acedic. This is especially important if your dumb boss doesn't want you to change it.
My reccommendation is change monthly and get a new DM that has at least a dimes worth of projector knowledge!
Mark @ GTS

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-07-2001 11:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what you're looking for:

There are a few other screws on the cover of the intermittent, there. DO NOT muck around with those babies! You'll trash the intermittent. In fact, I'm not even going to tell you what those screws are for so as not to tempt people into messing with them.

One thing I do when changing the oil is to flush it out with fresh oil. I put a cup or funnel under the opening and squirt oil in the top and rotate the flywheel a couple-three turns by hand. You might see some gunk and little pieces of metal come out that wouldn't have come out, otherwise. I would say this is especially important if you haven't changed the oil in a long time.

Another thing I do is take a Q-Tip® and clean out the drain hole. Get as much of the oil out of the "groove" around the hole as you can. If there are any little pieces of gunk in there the plug might not seal as well and you could get a slow leak. Do a good job cleaning off the screw and the 3 washers while your're at it. The cleaner the better.

Since you are at it you might as well take a crack at cleaning out all the dust bunnies. Take off the light shield and remove the trap. (You may have to in order to to get at the oil filler.) Get your rag and paintbrush and "Kill da' Wabbit!" (Wabbit... Dust Bunnies... get it? )

If you really want to cover your arse six ways from next Sunday you can open the rear door and take off the back covers. Use a rag to wipe out all the old grease from all the gears. Then squirt new, clean grease on the gears and rotate the machine by hand a few more times. This will distribute the grease evenly over the gears. Before you buckle the projector back up, take a look at the belts (or drive gears) and make sure that they aren't in need of attention.

While you have the oil can in your hand, there are two or three oil cups inside the projector head near the upper and lower sprockets. Put two or three drops of oil in these too. There's a little tiny "dent" in the outboard bearing arm of the intermitent. That gets ONE drop of oil. (You should be doing this every few weeks anyway. It's within easy reach and it's a quickie to do.)

When I was on the front lines in the booth I would do all of this in roatation for all the machines. I'd do one or two per day. After a couple of weeks I'd have them all done. After while I'd start over again.

One last thing: I see a lot of people that have this tendancy to over lubricate these machines. You don't need but a few drops of oil in those bearing cups. The gears in the back need only be "wet" with grease. You don't want the projector to be swimming in oil and grease. Not only is is messy looking, the gears and things will "fling" little gobs of grease all over the place.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 01:27 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone determined the conditions which will cause those Century fiber gears to turn to mush sometimes?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-08-2001 01:39 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, I would guess there is an improper gear mesh.

Some of the Century SA's had a quality control problem with holes in the shutter and vertical shafts being not exact, which did not allow the correct toe and heel contact of the gears. Could also be the gear itself is defective.

Use the correct lubricant. Chassis grease will NOT do. Century's gear lube looks and feels like industrial strength vasoline.

Follow the lube instructions in the Century manual. That manual is available in the Film-Tech manuals link.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 01:50 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all very much for your help. Just so you don't think we're complete jerk offs here, all of the things mentioned in Randy's post have been part of our regular maintanence schedule EXCEPT changing the oil. All of our projectors are 'self emptying,' ie, they all leak oil very slowly. So I'd say the oil gets 'changed' every 3 to 6 months, depending on the projector and how bad the leak is. This of course is not good at all, but I'm not quite sure there's much I can do about it at this point.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2001 04:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing to do with a Century when it has eaten up a gear on the vert shaft is to replace the verticle shaft with the hardened LaVezzi shaft assy. If the machine was operating when the gear stripped then the shaft is for sure bent! Also if you replace a fibre gear always replace its mating steel gear as well. The steel gear may be worn with minute grooves as well and will just grind up the new fibre gear in a short time. Also this is a good idea if gears have been replaced before as a number of different manufacturers have slightly different ideas as to the meaning of pitch. Indian gears are different from Charlies gears, and they are different from LaVezzi and so on. They may run, but not well, and not for long like they should.
Use only Century Gear Lube or Superlube. Nothing else will suffice. You'll never know how many Centurys I have torn down that had Lubriplate dried all over the gear train. Unless you do a parts wash its hard to get it off.
Overall Lubriplate gets a "Blows" ratng from me on quality. Superlube gets a "Good As Gold" rating. Century Gear Grease, if ya order it from Wolk is Superlube with his label over the tube!
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-08-2001 07:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree always replace the meshing gear.
I use Molyslip (mollydniuem disuphite greese ((black stuff))
It is considered the best by most engineering companies if high tempertaures are to be encounterd between fiber and steel gears

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2001 09:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
Yea thats good grease but a bit too messy. Its commonly used in film camera movements to lube the ball races and gears as it stays in place pretty good if you use the correct type. If you're using the auto parts store variety shame, shame, shame! I can just envision Keith's projectors if he was on to that stuff! Yuck!
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: