Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century SA Changeover

Author Topic: Century SA Changeover
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 05:07 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick, how do you repair a Century SA changeover that's become detached from the wirte the pulls it up? I've already put in an emergency call to our service company, but its good to get two different views.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 05:14 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, its a Kelmar changeover, Model No. ECC-35. Just talked with the on call tech, I think I can do it, here goes nothing.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-06-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take out the trap as if you were going to clean the projector. (1 screw)
Take off the light shield as if you were going to put oil into the intermittent. (2 screws)
Use some kind of impliment to slide the dowser/changeover plate up and out of the projector. (You might be able to reach it with your hands if you don' t have fat fingers like me. )

You will be able to use the projector for now. The changeover just won't work. It'll be open all the time. You'll have to use the console dowser. But that's OK, between shows you can work on this next part. You should be able to get the back together by the time the next show starts.

Use a piece of coathanger wire and make a replacement for that chintzy piece that always breaks. Loop it through the hole in the c/o plate and cut it off so it doesn't get caught on anything. Feed the other end up through the hole in the projector frame and hook it over the bellcrank where the old wire used to go. Again, cut it off so it doesn't get hung up on anything.

Those little screws that hold up the c/o plate are a pain in the arse. The hole in the plate starts to wear out from all the yanking up and down. Sooner or later the hole is too big to hold the screw and it pops out.

If I were you I'd just go around and "fix" them all right now because they will almost certainly all break in the future. I had 17 of these babies. Most of the original fasteners didn' t last a year. We fixed them up with coathanger wire and haven't had a lick of trouble out of them since. That was 4 years ago.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 05:48 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vielen Dnak, Vielen Dank. All fixed and ready to go.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 07:21 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The obvious solution is to get rid of that p.o.s. Kelmar changeover and replace it with a REAL changeover like a ZIPPER (sold by Wolk).

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 07:22 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, well that would cost money. Right now my priority is to get a proper rewind bench for our booth, not the POS we have right now that can't even handle 6,000' reels or winding up of trailers.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-07-2001 09:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I find the Kelmar superior to the zipper by far especially since they seem to use cheaper coils now

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2001 11:49 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with gordon!!! The Kelmar is very superior to any changeover out there! Andy modelled it after the old 'Thide' changeovers made in the 30's! Except, he designed it with 'continuous duty rated solenoids'! That's why they wont burn out!!! They are much more positive than the zipper (Essannay) types too!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: