Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Raiders Print

Author Topic: New Raiders Print
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-02-2001 02:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On http://instereo.jumpmovies.com
has a listing for the Coolidge Corner MovieTheatre in Brookline Mass opening a brad new 70mm print of Raiders of the Lost Ark on June15 2001 for 2 days
anyone heard for sure they have a "new" print

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-02-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked this out with Paramount and that advertisement is incorrect. There were new 35mm prints struck recently, but there have been NO 70mm prints struck since the 80's. They are absolutely positive on this.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-02-2001 03:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be back in the Boston area from about May 15th on, so I will try to go to see this. Coolidge Corner isn't normally equipped for DTS, so it will probably be a mag print, whatever it is. Let's hope that they get the Toronto print instead of the somewhat beat-up print that played recently at the Uptown.

Coolidge Corner normally does a "big screen" series in the summer, which usually includes one or two 70mm titles, one of which is almost always "Lawrence," which is currently out of theatrical circulation. A faded print of "Raiders" would be a poor substitute, but would probably still sell out....

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-02-2001 08:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, when you spoke to Paramount and they spoke about the new 35mm prints...did they mention which track was on the prints? I don't think we ever confirmed that SRD prints were actually available now.

------------------
Children really brighten up your life...they never turn off lights.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-03-2001 04:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, the SRD thing was inaccurate. I will try and get more accurate information on that, as that aspect was not positive on.

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2001 11:38 PM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd think a company of the stature of Paramount would be PROUD of one of their top grossers with a good revival following and could AFFORD to run a new 70MM print every ten years or so. They could take the $$ out of petty cash. The whole industry is being run by bean-counters and that's one of the principal things wrong with it all the way from the tops of the studios to the garbage carmike cinemas.

Another big problem is nobody seems to be able to make a good movie on a small budget any more, like Roger Corman could. And he's still around.

At least Turner/MGM's film library is flawlessly maintained. They have always taken great pride in having a clean 35mm print of practically EVERYTHING immediately available. And the old man doesn't scrimp. If the library needs cash, they ask him, and they get it. You can see the quality on the TCM channel.

"If you take care of your film library, it will take care of you."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2001 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Actually Riger Corman is still around and still makinf low budget stuff, mainly for TV now as he can no longer compete with the costly special effects and high priced actors. He was the featured person in Last Months Location Update magazine. He also has just sold his studio in Venice, Ca. to keep production costs down. So he is still at work.

As far as Turner goes I personally think they do a lousy job overall on the new prints they strike. They could be making new 70mm prints of Ben-Hur, and many others but all we get are crappy 35's. At least the 35's could be I.B. again but usually they are not. At least on OZ and GWTW they did I.B. so they get that much credit from me. But imagine a new I.B. of Singin In The Rain, or American In Paris. Then you'd have something that would look like it should.
Actually, its run just as much by bean counters as any other film entity is.
Mark @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: