Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » xenex pup lamp focusing

Author Topic: xenex pup lamp focusing
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2001 02:27 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a xenex pup and when putting in a new bulb I cannot get even screen illumination. The corners are kinda dim. This is no matter what position the lamp is in, the reflector, or the lamphouse itself in relation to the projector. Seems almost as if there is not enough adjustment in the focus travel of the bulb itself. Any clues or advice. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-02-2001 02:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THe pup is a pig to line up. Is it at the correct working distance? I believe it should be 28" from the vortex of the mirror to the apperture (will have to check as I can't remember if it was 32" for that model but 28" is dticking in my mind)
Is it is a perfectly straight line to the lens?
Is the correct lamp installed. Some lamps require the 2 side pins to be removed to work in the pup

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2001 02:48 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,
THe bulb has the pins in it. The xenex calls for a 1000 or 1600 watt but I found that a 750 has the same dimensions as the 1000 and 1600 so I chose to go with the smaller wattage lamp. If the pins should be out are they easy to remove from the bulb without damaging the bulb or having it blow?

dave

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-02-2001 02:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use a dremel tool with a cutoff blade in it to cut off the pins on the toshiba lamps we used to use in the pups years ago
Check and see if the are touching the mirror bushing if not then that isn't the problem

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-02-2001 03:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked with the manual and it is 28".
Also if it is an OSRAM or ORC lamp it should niot be necassary to remove the two pins. In fact the drawing shows the adapter sitting in the bushing in the manual. It is on line.
I do remember that with the toshiba lamps they were a pain

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 02:59 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

If all of the above doesn't work, you might have the bulb out of position in relationship with the reflector. Just had this problem this week after someone changed the bulb in a pup and couldn't dial in the focus. The bulb was pushed back to far in the holder making it impossible to focus. The pup is a budlight lamphouse, everytime you change a bulb, you require a bud!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: