Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Victoria 5 Projector, is it a myth? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Victoria 5 Projector, is it a myth?
Nate Miller
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2001 12:11 PM      Profile for Nate Miller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just hired by cinemark at a location in salt lake city, well I make it a habbit to find out as much as I can about the projectors that I will be using. However I can't seem to find anything about this model or who even makes it. Has anyone ever even seen the victoia 5 before?

Nate Miller

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-02-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Look in the manuals here under "Cinemecannica Victoria 5".

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-02-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vic5 is built by cinemecanica and if one looks in the picture warehouse there is a lot of pictures of booths with them.
Not my favorite but they work

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2001 02:23 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I have seen and used the Cinemeccancia Victoria 5, just about every other cinema in the UK seams to have these belt driven projectors.

They are not my best projector to operate.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2001 02:49 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
Yes the well known CINEMECCANICA VICTORIA 5 model. It keeps over rulling the VICTORIA 8 model. You will hear various contradicting comments about the projector. Personally. It is my favourite model from all the Victoria Projectors. Being working with this baby for over 16 years now and NO PROBLEM except some regular maintance (oil e.t.c.). Easy threaded projector. The only sad thing about the Victoria series projectors is the electric connections e.t.c since they are so messy in contrast with Christie and Kinoton. Victoria 5 has been in the market for many many years. The new model of Victoria 5 can be shipped to a cinema with various options installed on it like the reel autowind (something like the tower system although on the excisting projector) and at the cinema which I am working me and my father modified the projectors so that the film rewinds on the projector and not on the rewind table!! I am sure many have done this modification or am I wrong?? Anyway. If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them since its MY favourite projector
Ciao for now
Demetris Thoupis

"FOR STRENGTH AND HONOUR"

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-02-2001 02:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a myth ... it's a LEGEND. A legendary piece of Just my North American opinion.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-02-2001 09:39 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a fan of Cinemacannica. The V8 is my favorite, but I also used a V5 and a V9 for 10 years or so.

I think, like anything, it depends on how you use it. Just like you would be crazy to install an expensive Norelco AA-2 in a plain-jane theater with a 20ft wide screen, you'd also be crazy to install a V5 in a premium theater with a 85ft wide screen (although I'm sure both have been done.)

They are easy to thread, although the path is different than American projectors, which throws off a person used to American projectors. They are easy to clean. Some have several remote options (lens, framing, focus. Parts are expensive, and (not often, but) sometimes hard to get. It has a belt drive; do yourself a favor and just change it every year. Don't wait for it to break.

I rarely had electrical problems myself. I did, however change the changeover solenoid fairly regularly. Personally, I think that whole gravity changeover design is a major failing of an otherwise decent medium-duty projector.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-02-2001 11:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I find it amazing that they are still in buisness. Its only through operations like General Enema and Cinemark that they still are. The Vic 5 has had many gestations like the Christie P35 has, although not as many.
IMHO the Vic 5 has the most unsteady picture of any modern(?) machine I have seen on screen. Only an old Edison I once saw setup temporarily on screen had worse steadiness. Shakemechanicca has finally come out with a reasonably priced curved gate retrofit that should make the image steadier.
I once had a VIC 8 in my screening room and I have also have owned at least 2 pairs of VIC 10's. All of them are built very well but none of them could handle old brittle, slightly damaged, or a few missing perfs very well without breaking or damaging the film. These are definately NOT for use in a film archive!
On the other hand....
I certainly would consider installing DP-70's in a plex if I built one. I once did this in an art house in Chicago that had a pair of old gear eater Centurys. After the Norelcos went in they never had another problem. The only parts they replaced in 5 years of operation was a pair of 35mm gate bands and the normal exciter bulbs, plus the on screen image quallity increased at least 10 times! If properly maintained DP-70's will give rock steady images for decades with only oil changes, occasional sprockets and gate bands. Granted, if you pile up a shutter you're in trouble but you can get a whole replacement machine for less cost than the parts to repair a bad one.
I'll stick with the Norelco any day.......
Mark @ GTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2001 06:53 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve said:
<<Personally I find it amazing that they are still in buisness>>
ROTFL!!!

Let me correct you, as an Italian citizen, that the correct name is "CINEMECCANICA"
However I consider "Shakemeccanica" more appropriate...

Antonio

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2001 06:11 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our brand new theater, just opened last June, has 11 houses fitted with 11 V4s. I am not even kidding. I have been told the company I work for (Jackson Entertainment/Jack Loeks Theaters owns at least 100 spares that it uses for parts. Pretty crazy huh? But we never get any complaints about picture quality. My only complaints are the leaking oil and the noise.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2001 06:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonio,
Don't blame this line on Steve....I coined it at least in this thread. I'm aware of the spelling but I also prefer the "coined" name too.

Nate..... You could be worse off ya know. You could have been hired at 3300 and State St. They have worse equipment there...or ya could have landed at 90th and State where all the people from 3300 and State went to work. They have all obsolete sound equipment and a big projector that they have nicknamed "Mother" that has been a nightmare for them since opening.
Mark @ GTS

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 07:42 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Shakemeccanica is fine!
My post was because I read often CINEMACCANICA, CINEMECCANNICA, CINEMECANNICA, CINEMECANICA, CINEMECCANCIA, CINEMACCANNICA and others but rarely the correct name "CINEMECCANICA"!!!

I agree with you about picture quality. However, just few days ago something strange happened: I swapped the maltese sprocket between my two CINEMECCANICA (!) V5 because I have a little scratch between perforations and I would see if the problem follow the sprocket. Picture stability on that projector improved dramaticaly!!! And picture stability of the other projector seems to be the same...

How is it possibile???

Antonio

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 08:42 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used a Vic 5 but for the last several years I've had four Vic 4s and three Vic 8s in my booth. I don't like the 8s because they shake the image but I wouldn't sell my Vic 4s for anything. For 6 years now they have been virtually trouble free in my multiplex and for 24 years before that they were virtually trouble free in the twin house that they were originaly installed in.

They do leak a little oil but then again..doesn't a good projectionist wipe down the machine and the area around them before threading? I have four spares in the booth that came from a house that my employer closed. I'm hoping that I get to keep them for a rumoured expansion to our complex.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-04-2001 01:09 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the V5 picture shake issue, I find that two factors play a big role.

Firstly, the condition of the perforations on the film stock is vitally important. What bought this home to me was starting an advert reel a few weeks ago: the opening title logo of the advertising agency (which was very old, worn and had probably been run hundreds of times on many projectors) wobbled up and down like a dying fish. When the first actual ad came on (which was brand new stock), the picture was rock steady, like it was nailed to the screen. When I examined the film under a magnifying glass, I found that the leading edge of the perforations on one side were very slightly strained (on the logo footage), which I guess must have caused the instability.

So in the light of this, the result of Antonio's experiment swapping the intermittent sprockets makes sense.

The other factor is the condition of the main drive belt. Vic 5s don't have the nickname 'rubber band machines' for nothing - the rubber bands in question really are crucial to the accurate operation of every stage of the film's movement.

As the belt gets worn, the picture stability starts to go, as does the shutter timing. This is because the shutter gearbox and the intermittent unit are both driven by that same belt. If it gets stretched, worn and the gap between the two starts to vary, the intermittent movement gets less precise, as does its relation to the shutter rotation.

The bottom line? Replace the belts very frequently. We do them every six months and I'm starting to wonder whether we shouldn't reduce that interval to 3.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo,

Two question:
1. Ok, perforation's status is important. But I've swapped intermittent sprockets with the same film...
2. Belts: I change belts every 10 months, I've noted that after exactly 10 months belts start giving trouble! But I agree with you, 6 months is better.

Bye
Antonio

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: