Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » European distributor for FilmGuard

Author Topic: European distributor for FilmGuard
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2001 03:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
F.Y.I. for all those interested...

We have now set up a dealer/distributor for Film-Tech cleaning products in the UK. Contact:

Jack Roe (CS) Limited
Poplar House
Peterstow
Ross-on Wye, Herefordshire HR9 6JR
United Kingdom
www.jack-roe.co.uk
Email sales@jack-roe.co.uk

FilmGuard and Film-Tech media pads can now be purchased directly through Jack Roe and they will be handling distribution on that side of the planet for us.

|  IP: Logged

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2001 08:48 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received my Jack Roe catalogue, and am pleased to learn that Filmguard is available in the UK now. Apart from 35mm for the cinema, I have some 16mm with magnetic stripe of my own that I am looking forward to treating.

Bernard.

------------------

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2001 08:37 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good! I will order from this guy next time. FYI i used to order FG from the US and shipped with UPS, NOT CHEAP!

Now the shipping cost will not be a big issue anymore!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-29-2001 09:03 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW (and in response to an earlier query on another thread) Jack Roe also sell carbon rods.

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2001 02:10 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Brian Roe.
We needed this in Europe.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2001 09:15 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An observation on how an exhibitor in the UK is getting along with FilmGuard, for those who might be interested in further knowledge of the product.

I have very successfully cleaned end of trailers policy tags & sales trailers. The method was by hand on the rewind bench with a Jay cloth as the application pad for the FilmGuard. As per the instructions, you need only to apply a small amount as it does spread, treating all areas of the film. I was concerned that it might effect the automation pulses being paper backed type, also the Cinemation pick-up roller, to the contrary, pulses have passed through perfectly every time. Normally I replace all pulses after 4 weeks run, they now look as lasting double that amount.

There is no doubt that FilmGuard can certainly clean film, I shall have to improve on my application methods, maybe with paper towelling next. I only wish that I could invest in a Kelmar cleaner with the media pads. I do however use PTR rollers as my most economical way of keeping mostly first run release prints clean, and I wouldn’t be without them!

------------------

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2001 06:55 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have just received our first bottle of Filmguard on Tuesday from Jack Roe, after placing our order at the weekend, so service is excellent.

We are half-way into our first week with Filmguard and, without dry web cleaners, are just applying to top and bottom of print. However the result so far has been outstanding. The first print i applied filmguard to has been a print that has been plagued with static every run. The first run after filmguard was applied ran smooth, and every run since. Also the machines are a bit cleaner after every run now.

So, i think the general consenus is NICE ONE BRAD!

Although Brad, one question i have about treating our films with filmguard this way, ie applying a coat to the top and bottom of a print using a cloth, does this only have to be done once in a prints life, or does it have to be "topped up" now and again?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2001 09:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you are getting good service and you like the product.

To answer your question, just "top it off" and repeat what you are doing as needed. I would recommend once a week as a good place to start.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 04:01 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One question to Brad on FilmGuard.

What is considered the most suitable material to use for hand application on the rewind bench for cleaning and lubrication. The UK Jay cloth (stronger than paper) seems to be efficient but could be wasteful as being too absorbent. I did try a Selvyt cloth which is superior to a chamois leather and can be washed when soiled, however I found that this was not sufficiently absorbent enough to hold the FilmGuard.

So far I am very impressed with the product. I shall look forward this week to trying edge lubricating my new copy of “Shrek”.

Many thanks.

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2001 04:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly the only hand application I've done is with a product that is no longer made. I know there are lots of people out there hand applying it, so if anyone has come up with a specific cloth, please post it here.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 04:44 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had used Film Guard for several weeks on some 70mm prints at the Dome in London last summer, the results were good, but I found you had to keep applying Film Guard to keep prints clean.

We mainly used PTR rollers with every screening last year.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: