Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » looking forward to using AW3 in home

Author Topic: looking forward to using AW3 in home
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Simplex 1014&5 star at my home.
However I am looking forward to using
an AW3 with it's MUT in my home along with
it. The problem is how do I move a platter
tree with everything removed from it
around and also,how would I make some
sort of means to vertically roll the decks
around until they're ready to be mounted?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-23-2001 03:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say when you remove the decks that you should store them flat. I probably wouldn't even stack them on top of one another for any period of time unless you have them crated. (Or better yet, in the original crates.) Any lateral force on them can cause them to warp. (Ever seen film reels that people stand against a wall? -- OOH! I hate that!)

I think you pretty much have to use common sense here.
The decks come off as you already know. One word of caution. There are two metal spacers and a donut-shaped bearing in the hub of the decks. Don't lose them! They often get stuck up inside the center of the platter. If you put them back on wrong (or not at all) you can really muck up the decks!

I think you know that the motors come off. Nothing new there.

If I'm not mistaken, you can unbolt the legs. Just about every other kind of platter that I know of has that. (I've never really thought to LOOK at a Christie.)

From there on out it's just a matter of manpower. Getting enough guys to help you (carefully) carry the thing out to truck. (You're going to rent a Ryder, aren't you? I'd think a pickup would be risky.) My favorite thing is to buy your buddies a rack of beer and some pizza (or wheatever).

Just don't give them the beer until AFTER they've moved your stuff!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-23-2001 08:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The legs do come off on the AW2 and, presumably, the AW3 as well. The AW2 uses large allen screws to attach the leg piece to the tree. When disassembled, it fits nicely into a pickup truck if handled carefully.

I know this because a certain theatre manager thought that installing a broken-down AW2 that he got for free would be a terrific way to save money by not hiring a projectionist. After a heated debate about why this would be a really bad idea considering that he already had a good large-reel setup and also considering the condition of the platter and that none of his employees had had (up to that point) any experience with platters, I managed to talk him out of this idea and I had to help move the partially-assembled platter into the basement (where it sat for a couple of years; it's probably now in the trash, where it belongs). (end of rant)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-23-2001 11:23 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the legs do com off by four bolts attached to the tree post. also what I would do is after removing the decks (You will need two people to do this) do make sure that the spacers do not come off like Randy says. Take some cardboard and rap it around the platter shafts making sure the cardboard sticks up above the center hole. tape it together then wrap some tape around the platter extention beam and over the cardboard covering the hole. this will keep the spacer bearings from falling off. also be sure to remove the take-up control armes and store them to prevent them from becoming broken.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-23-2001 11:54 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend removing as much hardware as possible to prevent it from being damaged during the move. Mark everything so you know where it goes come re-assembly time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: