Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cyan sound track?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cyan sound track??
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 08:53 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea how soon they will arrive?

A friend just took over a theater that doesn't have any led readers, and was wondering how soon he will have to make the change.

Thanks,
Brad

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-20-2001 09:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two years ago, it was said you have to have the mods installed by 1 January 2000. That deadline has come and gone, and nothing happened.

Now I heard of another deadline - the end of this year. We'll see.

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-20-2001 10:12 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen any movement in the large circuits to install the LED's in the older theatre's projectors.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-21-2001 01:20 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that the conversion is on indefinate hold.

All of the old exciters in my area have been converted to red LED by one method or another. (Mostly by JaxLight.) There MAY be some in other regions that aren't converted yet but I don't know for sure. I believe that most have been.

With the cash crunch that we've all been going through I can understand why nobody's in a hurry.

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 02:46 AM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been informed that a few cyan prints were put out this last January for a test. I'm currently getting ready to put the new led reader in along with a dolby sys., next week. Here's hoping everything goes O.K. We will be ready for what ever happens down the road.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 12:08 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't even worry about it. I don't think it will ever happen. Save your money for something else.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-21-2001 12:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We put in an LED reader about 3 years ago that was supposed to read those Cyan tracks, then when the tech came around and checked it out, he found out it would not read them after all. Supposedly because you need a "bright" red LED to read cyan, but this reader is a "dim" red LED. So that was several hundred bucks down the tubes. It did improve the analog sound however.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-21-2001 01:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most important note is reverse scan readers will improve the analogue sound vastly anyway

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 02:15 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When converting to red LED readers it's also important to upgrade the noise reduction to SR (if that hasn't been done already). The signal-to-noise ratio is greater with exciter lamps than with red LEDs but this is overcome by the improved noise reduction of Dolby SR.

One theater I work at has 5 out of 6 screens with A-type NR. Several of these screens are bastard systems with center+surround only or even left-channel-on-left-wall, center-screen, right-channel-on-right-wall, surround-rear-wall. Reverse scan LED systems will certainly improve the sound quality, but the sound systems need upgrading as well.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-21-2001 04:08 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need SR to playback a SR film no matter what type of reader you have.
If you are playing a A type film with reverse scan you still wouldn't switch it to SR

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 04:38 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has any played cyan prints through a old PEC sound head?.

I know of one venue that recived a French Cyan print and informed me that they had no problems with their old RCA 1035 Sound Head, they did say that in fact it sounded better than usual.

Any comments?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 06:39 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the theaters in my area are still using exciter lamps with no plans to buy any reverse scan LED readers.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 09:50 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Gordon you're right. I should have clarified that the print defines the noise reduction that you use. I guess I was implying that if the sound processor is A-type or nothing, you use A-type NR, even with SR prints. If theaters are upgrading the soundhead readers, the processors should also be upgraded to properly process the noise reduction encoded on current soundtracks. After all SR was introduced about 15 years ago. How many theaters still have mono only screens? A-type NR only screens? Certainly the vast majority of Hollywood releases have SR analog tracks. However I did make up a MONO print this week, _A Time for Drunken Horses_.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 10:08 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So just another ruse, just like when we all ran out and bought the 6000 ft reels for Warner Bro's big reel shipping change over that never happened. Should've sent them a bill for that little trick.
Good grief Charlie Brown.

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2001 11:30 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a component engineering reverce scan installed in my RCA 1050 it works great!!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: