Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » I need some more help on cinema history

Author Topic: I need some more help on cinema history
Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 01:25 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know when the cross over system was first introduced using two projectors. I know that the Lumiere brothers showed the first 35mm film in 1895, but i should imagine that this was faily short compared to a feature film.

|  IP: Logged

Mark DeLettera
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 02:55 PM      Profile for Mark DeLettera   Email Mark DeLettera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie,

Here are a few web sites that may help:
http://www.geh.org/
http://www.eastman.org/home.htm

They are both from the George Eastman House here in Rochester. I didn't get go into them too deep, but you may find what you need.

Did you try a search, like in AltaVista, under "cinema" or "theatre" or "projector history"? I'm sure you will come up with plenty of info there.

------------------
Mark DeLettera
Eastman Kodak Co.
Worldwide Technical Svs.
Rochester, NY
mark.delettera@kodak.com
716-588-4189

Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 03:31 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried searching for this subject on the net, and have gained loads of info on the history of cinnema but were stuck on a few subject areas. I had film tech bookmarked and have been here a few times so i thought it would be good to give it a try. I am very impressed with the help i have received over the last two days and will continue to keep updated with the posts on this forum, and maybe be able to help others. I off to check the links you gave me.

Thanks - Jamie

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-20-2001 04:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember there's a footnote somewhere in Scott Eyman's book 'The Speed of Sound - Hollywood and the Talkie Revolution, 1926-30' (NY, Simon & Schuster, 1999) which mentions the introduction of changeovers. Other sources which might help are:

Raymond Fielding, 'A Technological History of Motion Pictures and Television' (Berkeley, U. of Calif. Press, 1968)

Barry Salt, 'Film Style and Technology' (2nd ed., London, Starword, 1993).

Paolo Cherchi Usai, 'Burning Passions - an Introduction to the Study of Silent Cinema' (London, BFI, 1994).

Also the 1970s edition of the BKSTS projectionists' manual (the one written by Bernard Happe) might have something. The new version which came out a couple of years ago is basically a kiddies picture book which seems to be written for people with severe learning difficuties - for example, it contains two copiously illustrated pages on how to identify a reel number by reading the label on the can! I certainly very much doubt if it covers the historical background in anything like enough detail to answer this question.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-21-2001 01:49 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the reference in Eyman. Quote as follows:

"It was about the time of 'Good News' [1930] that the studios devised cue marks for the end of reels, to help projectionists make smooth changeovers. 'In the future, and until further notice, all changeover signals will be visual,' said the small print on the bottom of the 'Good News' cue sheet. 'These signals appear at the end of the reel in the form of a round, black spot appearing steady in the upper right hand corner of the screen during four consecutive frames. On a very dark screen or fadeout, the spot has a white line around it. The signal is fashioned so that it is clearly visible if watched for, but not particularly noticeable to an audience. Two sets of these signals appear at the end of each reel. The FIRST SET is the signal to start the motor of the incoming machine, and the SECOND SET is the signal to cut over the picture and sound...' When MGM said 'until further notice,' they probably didn't think they were referring to the next seventy years, for cue marks have remained the norm to the present day.' Eyman, 'The Speed of Sound', p. 349, footnote (I presume he's quoting the emphasis, though this isn't stated).

I'm a bit surprised that cue marks were as late as 1930, given that multiple-reel features were commonplace by the middle of World War I. The only reason I can think of why it took so long is that, given that there was no worldwide projection speed standardisation until the introduction of sound-on-film, it would have been impossible to standardise the gap between the two sets of marks and so the system would have been unreliable. Can John P (or anyone) throw any light on this?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: