Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital footage counters

Author Topic: Digital footage counters
Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 04:20 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if there are any digital footage counters on the market, if so can i
have a link to there website.

Thanks Jamie.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 05:02 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you can make anything. But a digital footage counter sounds like a waste of technology. Besides, it sounds like it would need batteries or plugging in.

I know, a digital footage counter is the thing on the front of your VCR!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-19-2001 05:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
CPI and Neumade both make film counters that are more than sufficient for the job.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-19-2001 05:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christy's catalog includes a device that attaches to a standard Moviola sync block and outputs the footage counter to an LED. It might have a serial interface, too, but I'm not really sure. In any case, it's do-able, but I'm not sure why anyone would want such a thing.

Note that the newer-model Steenbeck editing tables and most modern dubbers incorporate electronic footage counters as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2001 05:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually its easy to make one from some off the shelf LCD counters that Digi-Key sells. I made frame and footage counters for my VistaVision camera out of them so it can be rolled back to an exact frame for creating in camera effects. All you need to do is count sprocket teeth or film perfs and divide it down properly for the correct count to take place. In my case I counted the pulses from the tachometer in the crystal motor drive since the motor is directly coupled to the camera movement if the motor turns the film moves regardless and the count takes place.
MArk @ GTS

Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 05:48 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies.

I am building a system, which can measure reels of film so that the lengths can be used to rewind the film from the platter when breaking down the film. The idea is to prevent damage to the film by marking the joins with the various methods used. The project, will also double up as a footage counter that can measure feet, meters and time. This is for my final year project at university. I am doing some market research and wondered if there were any such devices on the market.

Jamie

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-19-2001 06:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hollywood film equip used to sell a digital footage counter for syncros
The other option is mount a shaftencoder on it and use the one MagnaTech makes

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-19-2001 08:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting idea, but not one that is really needed. I don't know of ANY theater that still uses shoe polish and other such items that would damage film anymore. In fact, every operator that I personally know of uses only clear splicing tape and makes no other marks. Some theaters mark the edge of the reel at the "fill line" to make it easier on the newbies, but even that is unnecessary.

Now if you could figure out a way to have a sensor automatically stop the MUT when it detects a splice followed immediately by a set of cue marks...THAT would be pretty cool.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: