Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » History of platters

Author Topic: History of platters
Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 03:52 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does any one know any links to the history
of cinema equipment. I am trying to find the
history of platter systems.

Thanks Jamie.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-19-2001 06:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The platter was inventd in Germany by a projectionist in cojuction with Kinoton
There is a bit of history on the Kinton site

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 06:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The platter concept, I have been told, originated in Germany in the mid-to-late 1960's. Somewhere on this forum is the name of the guy who developed them. Look in the very early postings from late summer 1999.

(Dammit Gordon, you beat me by two minutes!)

Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 06:24 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks - Jamie

Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 06:34 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon,Have you got the link for the Kinton site.

Thanks Jamie

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-20-2001 12:21 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
International Site: http://www.kinoton.com
North American Site: http://www.blsi.com/kinoton

Aaron

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 06:46 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All,

I have seen advertising material of a non rewind reel system (film feedout from centre) that dates back to the 1940's. It was shown to me by an old projectionist who treasured all his old stuff that he collected. It was based on a half reel (about 2000ft capacity) that fed out of the centre. So while not technically a platter system per se, the theory of non-rewinding has been around for some time. I was amazed when I saw the ad.....

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 08:19 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is generally believed that Philips Cinema developed the non-rewind / platters / cake-stand system during the early 1960s in the basic form we know today. When Philips Cinema closed in the early 1970s, Kinoton continued to sell the world famous Philips products. Philips continued to make the projectors for Kinoton at least until 1999. I visited the Machinenfabrieck 8 (Eindhoven, Holland) in May 1998 and saw how they made FP30s.

More here about Philips Cinema:
http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm/magazine/backissues/1998/55/kotte/kotte.htm http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm/magazine/backissues/2000/62/philips/philips.htm

------------------
All my best
Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter
www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 12:21 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a device developed before WW1 known as the Feaster no rewind device. It consisted of a horizontal upper magazine with the film fed from the center just as a platter. It was taken up in a standard lower magazine on a special split reel and stored tails up. The original version was limited to 1000 ft. lengths but by about 1920 a 2000ft. capacity system was available. There was a competetive system called the Toledo no rewind system. These were both described in early Cameron and Richardson books. I saw a similar system pictured in a Russian booth in an article in American Cinematographer about cinema in the Soviet Union. This was about 1966.

------------------
Bob Throop

Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2001 12:26 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies,

P.s.

we are showing are first 70mm print next month ( Space Odyssey 2001), we are one of the only cinemas in the south of England that is equipped to do so. We are having are equipment serviced at the moment ready for the big day. We have got some big industry bosses coming down to watch over us (Big brother breathing down are throats), which is a bit off putting. Any way, i hope they don't get in are way and spoil the big day.

Jamie

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2001 02:15 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jamie

Don't view the arrival of "big industry bosses " to watch over you as a negative occasion but rather as a great opportunity to learn. The people who are coming to coach you through this important event are some of the most experienced and helpful people you will meet in this industry.

As you say this is the first time that you will be running 70mm since City Screen took on the "old" Harbour Lights. You are in a very privileged position in having the opportunity to screen 2001 in 70mm. There are a whole load of Film Techers out there who would give their right arm to have that print in their theatre.

70mm is a whole different ballgame to 35mm.

Good luck with your shows and give it your best.

Jamie Hanslip
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2001 12:16 PM      Profile for Jamie Hanslip   Email Jamie Hanslip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dick,

Thanks for the advice, i am look forward to increasing my projection knowledge. I
also do feel privileged. I am shaw these guys are very nice, what i really meant its the
fact that someone is watching over you, much like when your chief watched over you
when you first learned to project. You could start the shows fine when he wasn't
watching, but the minute he watch, you would make a mistake. Saying that, i wont
be projecting, that will be Darrens job (chief). I am going in for the experience.

Jamie.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-23-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are interested in the history of other film-transport systems, have alook at a topic that was discussed here last year. See (topic name): "Anyone ever seen a XeTron Loop-Matic?"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: