Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What would be your ideal setup? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What would be your ideal setup?
Danny Hart
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2001 07:42 PM      Profile for Danny Hart   Email Danny Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I built a 10-screen multiplex and said to you - "OK, you're running this joint - equip it" and gave you as much money as you needed, what would you put in?

Don't be TOO lazy, though, with endless loop platters etc!!! Be practical.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-18-2001 07:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple
either
Kinoton PK60e with Kinoton lamphouses or
Ernaman15's with ernaman lamphouse
Kinoton platters
PanaStereo processors with a Mix of DA20 and DTS 6d's
All with DCM monitor crossover and DCA amps
KCS speakers and Harkness screens
since budget isn't an issue

Danny Hart
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2001 08:06 PM      Profile for Danny Hart   Email Danny Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great!!! But WHY??? What are the points you like about that setup? Would it be practical on a day-to-day basis?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-18-2001 09:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Without getting too specific:
Century JJ-2 projectors
Christie/Xetron/Strong lamphouses
Christie AW3 platters
Dolby CP200 w/Aux rack fully loaded (as I understand it Dolby will manufacture those in quantity and for a price)
DTS6-D
DA20
SDDS
EX via CP200 Aux rack
THX 3417 crossover/monitor (must have THX in all screens)
QSC amps
Enclosed racks (I shouldn't have to say this)
JBL speakers
Harkness screens
Christie/Pennywise CA21 automation
Adair port glass (Cinemark uses these)
and a Kelmar film cleaner

The above should of course be installed in every screen.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-18-2001 10:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the comments made by others--I'd definitely make sure that the largest screen(s) were equipped with two 35/70 projectors each for manual operation, regardless of whether they had platters as well. There are always occasions where once-only shows and film festivals come up where platters are impractical and it's also important to have sufficient redundancy to avoid having to refund the largest house. Actually, with a truly unlimited budget, I'd want platters plus two machiens (with automated c/o capability, too) on every screen.

I'd also want at least one screen with 16mm capability.

Of course, all screens should be equipped for all picture formats (silent with variable speed, Academy, 1.66, 1.75, 1.85, 2.35, 2.40, 2.55) and sound formats (35mm optical/mag/SRD/DTS/SDDS, 70mm mag/DTS, 16mm optical/mag).

Might as well throw in an IMAX screen, too. And maybe VistaVision capability for good measure. And a theatre organ for the large screens.

More stuff: 16/35 mag interlock capability on the largest screens; also, DA-88 interlock. Full set of non-sync sources: CD, DAT, 1/4" tape, cassette, etc. Maybe a video projector (yeah, I know) for one of the small screens for festivals, etc., if there's something legal that can be shown on it. Also, full Todd-AO sound (5 screen channels) in the large houses.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2001 10:06 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, tsk, tsk! You forgot to say "Film-Guard"

I would like both of the above setups. Although Brad does have a much more versitile setup.
However, if you are going to go through the trouble of having JJ-2 projectors at least make sure that everything is equipped for 70mm as well (i.e. either reel arms or the 70mm conversion for the AW3's; mag head w/preamp unit; etc.)

A couple of additions to either booth above:
Two projectors per house (reel to reel capable/ backup)
Goldberg "platter reels"
A decent rewind bench.
Climate control (A/C, autofill humidifiers)
A remote status system
NO slide projectors
Curtains and masking (side, not top or bottom)with stage lights

I love theater organs
A 16mm wouldn't be a bad idea
Definately have all formats possible on all screens

This is only a couple of things I would add, ithers will add or change much more I am sure.
Gord, which automation for your dream booth?
Jonathan

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-19-2001 12:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I have yet to actually use them, I'd really like to see the Kinoton projectors, and perhaps even the platters. I'd also like to see the Big Sky platters. Century JJ's are good, but I hear that Kinoton just kicks the shit out of everything else out there. I really want to try one out and see if that's true.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 12:52 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, no Big Sky please!! I had the misfortune to work with some of their lamphouses / consoles. The bulb adjustment controls were of the allen head screw type. These were to be accessed with a long allen wrench through holes in the lamphouse door. After three tries, sending the door back in to be reworked, they still couldn't get the holes to line up with the adjusment screws. What this meant was you had to open the back half door of the lamphouse, reach up with your right hand to hold the safety switch closed and to shield your eyes and make the necessary adjustments with your left hand. Highly annoying as well as dangerous. These guys scare me.

-Mike

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-19-2001 07:01 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, my post assumed things like Kelmar film cleaner = FilmGuard and Christie AW3 = 70mm conversion kit. Of course I do like the idea of having a 2nd projector on each screen for changeovers *or* backup purposes *or* running 35mm trailers reel to reel before a 70mm plattered feature via direct format changeover. Also, the Goldberg platter reel is an absolute MUST!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2001 09:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my penny's worth of opinion....Of course all of this would be on every screen in my plex

Kinoton PK60e Projector with basement reader

Kinoton Console or lamphouse

Kinoton platter system(kicks the sh!t out of the AW-3).

Strong(Eprad)CNA-200 Automation system with PC based remote controller installed.

CP-65 or Panastereo Processors. Analog rules!

Dolby DA-10 EX processors

DA-20 and DTS only. (After all, I want my systems to run reliably)

JBL 5672 Stage speakers tri amped with the M552-BLU x-over. All systems mounted in baffle walls.

JBL 8340 Surround speakers, running on 1/3 octave external EQ.

BGW M2200 Powered subwoofers running on 220vac.

BGW GTA power amplifiers for all stage and surround speakers. These babies are dual mono! (Sorry guys, but these will easily blow any QSC out of the water)

Harkness or Stewart Filmscreen surfaces

Harkness frames with movable masking

Kelmar Film Cleaner with Filmguard

Other things I would include would be .....

All electronics would be mounted in Mid-Atlantic enclosed racks that have clear plexi front doors. Lockable rear doors.

A central vacuum cleaner system and air hose by each machine.
A DSL connected computer for hook up to Film-Tech and with a live PC cam as this place would be worth showing off.
My booth would be humidity controled and also at a slight positive relative pressure to keep dust out when doors are opened.

Mark @ GTS

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-19-2001 10:21 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
24/30fps Norelco AAII/Philips DP70 (2 of them for the same reasons Brad and Scott cite) with Mark's basement readers installed

Christie AW370 platters with custom-built vertical-or-horizontal reel MUTs (using stock AW3MK electronics)

Strong lamphouses (Super or Ultra-80's) with Strong high-reactance (the non-switching) power supplies

Dolby CP200/DA20/SA10(EX)

DTS 6D with 35 and 70mm readers (NO &$%^*&%*^^ SDDS!!)

THX 3417 monitor/xover

QSC amps

Altec A4 boxes with EV MantaRay horns, JBL's for any 'tight fit' applications (full Todd-AO 5-screen channels of course)

JBL surrounds

JBL subs

Schneider or ISCO lenses and anamorphics

Component Engineeering TA10 autos w/ FM37 failsafes

Harkness or Technikote screens with full curtains and masking options for all formats: 35mm silent to UP70

Kelmar film cleaners (with Film-Tech media and Film-Guard natch...)

Kelmar 35/70 rewind table with table-mount bracket for the film cleaner (for on the bench FG application)

Neumade 35 and 70mm splicers using NeuTape

I'm sure I will think of more...

Aaron

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 11:04 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a terrific thread. I was on the verge of asking the same question.

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-but, where is the projectionist in all of this? Should there be one, or should we rush off in time to the Foundation Trilogy and borrow a robot?

If I were engineering a 10-plex like this one, I agree with the specs generally for the largest screen, except that the power amps would be McIntosh and there would be a 5-manual/100-rank theatre organ here as well, however I would build my own sound for at least a few of the smaller houses; and for the largest and any other which would revive older mono pre-Dolby prints there would be custom optical which I'd probably run as L-C-R 3-speaker mono direct to the power amps.

John Gordon
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2001 08:37 PM      Profile for John Gordon   Email John Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I respect your opinion on your personal amplifier choice, but I of course say QSC is the better amplifier. You prefer the BGW GTA amp, which is fine if you like large, expensive, and heavy. If you are willing to spend that kind of money for a GTA, you can of course get a QSC with better efficiency, almost twice the power, for about the same price. And if you want more power, a 1/4 the weight of the GTA, and better signal to noise, we can do that too.
Okay, enough of the product push. What do other think?

------------------
John Gordon
Cinema Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, Inc.
1675 MacArthur Blvd.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 957-7100
john_gordon@qscaudio.com
http://www.qscaudio.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2001 10:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
I am a big fan of both companies and I know you know that. However I have been using BGW's since before you were in high school(about 1973 or 4). BGW's may be from the old design school but I keep re-doing old Cineplexes for customers that have taken them over and I keep finding droves of 15 year old BGW's still chugging along and that keeps renewing my faith in them. Anyway,in a high end system, and a price no object sort of thing, the GTA would be my choice. Weight and size are never a factor in a no holds barred system and the GTA is built like a tank. Under normal circumstances, I've never run into a S/N problem with anyones amp when drive levels from the processor and the amp gains are optimized.
Of course, if I could, I would install all Krell! But we have to be realistic about this and keep the selection from theater type gear. Anyway, enough Krell FPB300's to equip this plex would cost more than the building!
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-20-2001 08:49 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark I have many older QSC's still chugging along fine as well. I also have quiet a few dead BGW's in the junk room as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: