Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Equipment used in Cinemas

Author Topic: Equipment used in Cinemas
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2001 03:02 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Again,
I am really wondering something. Rumours have been going around that European Cinemas and American Cinemas have a different preference in the equipment they use for projectors. Well I was wondering what projectors do you use in your cinemas? Let's start. At the cinemas which I am co-operating in Cyprus (Europe) the most widely spread projector is Cinemeccanica's Victoria 4. Also I have seen in two cinemas Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 projectors, in others Cinemeccanica Victoria 8, Victoria 9, Victoria 10!, and I've heard that one cinema uses Victoria 6 (I am not sure if that model excists so don't cut my head off if that is wrong). Finally I was suprised to find out that MICROTECHNICA projectors are also found in Cinemas in Cyprus. By the way does anyone have any manuals for that projector? Now the new complexes that are opening are either installing the German KINOTON projectors or the American CHRISTIE projectors. So what do you use in your theater?
Demetris Thoupis

"FOR STRENGTH AND HONOUR"

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-09-2001 06:32 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As might be expected, Simplex and Century seem to be most common in the US. Norelcos (AA-IIs) and Cinemeccanicas aren't exactly commonplace, but aren't totally unheard-of, either. Apparently Christie is becoming popular with some chains, but apparently not at the theatres which I frequent. Bauer, Kinoton, and other brands are relatively rare.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2001 07:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, in Mass. you should run across a lot of Showcase/National Amusement theaters. The two that I've built for them in the last few years (I only build them, I dont spec the equipment) have been 100% Christie.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-09-2001 08:55 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A guy I knew (who built several theaters in the 50's and 60's) once told me that in 1967-69 the American dollar was very high compared to Italy's lire. Also, at that time, theaters were looking to cut labor costs. So Cimemecannicas became very popular in the US, especially with the remote control features (focus, framing, lens turret, etc) Most American projectors did not have all those features.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2001 09:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll find literally every type of projector over here running . Simplex and Century were definately the popular ones but Christie has gained quite a bit of ground in the last few years. The Kinoton equipment is getting popular again as well thanks to BL&S becomming the importer and getting the price down where it belongs. When Arriflex distributed it they all but ruined its chances here in theaters. Tghere are allot of Cinemecaniccas but they seem to be loosing ground here. Many AA-2's and DP-70's still remain in service in larger theaters all over the country and in large screening rooms.
Mark @ GTS

Joe Schmidt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2001 05:31 AM      Profile for Joe Schmidt   Email Joe Schmidt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience with Cinemecchanica was all very positive. You could literally install them and forget them. never have to go back.

For more on this see my thread on xenon bulbs.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Personally I find Cinemeccanica the most reliable projectors ever made. It's a shame that they are loosing ground in their sales since they are much more expensive than Christie. Of course all those hustling and maintenance you pay for one year on a Christie projector is twice as much the price that you pay to acquire a Cinemeccanica !
Demetris Thoupis
"FOR STRENGTH AND HONOUR"

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2001 05:40 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, hmm, over here there is a fair bit of chain loyalty, the Cinemec Vic 5 is very popular, as is the Century and the Kinoton. I've just installed another 7 Simplex Millenium, bringing the UK's total to 15! to the best of my knowledge anyway. The Westrex Westar 2001 is a stalwart machine and many of those are still going, you come across the odd Kalee, but those are getting scarce now, plenty of old Cinemec Vic 4, Vic 8, Vic 9 and Vic 12, loads of Phillips FP20, some DP75 and DP70. I've still got one Fedi on the go, used to have 3, but those were replaced with Centuries recently.

A mixed bag in the UK, but mainly products from the big three...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: