Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » VICTORIA 4 projector melting exciter soldering

Author Topic: VICTORIA 4 projector melting exciter soldering
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 02:32 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
Here we go again. One of the cinemas which I am co-operating has this huge problem with a Cinemeccanica Victoria 4 Projector. At least twice a week we have to change exciter lamp because the heatness of the lamp melts the soldering connection underneath. Does anyone else with Victoria 4 had this problem and does anyone know if there is a way we can fix it?
Thank you in advance
Demetris Thoupis

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-08-2001 04:30 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you solder it, make sure you use the correct solder, and that you get a good inter-metallic bond of the parts being soldered.

Do not use acid core solder.

Also, make sure the center contact is clean, and the spring tension is sufficient to insure a good contact. It almost sounds like this could be the cause of the problem.

Crappy contact under a heavy current situation that has some resistance equals heat, and plenty of it. It can and will fry wires.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-08-2001 10:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this projector is running on a stereo sound system then the best option is to upgrade it to reverse scan LED.
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 11:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The source of the problem is as paul said the centre contact.
Either replace it or build it up
If it is pitted or the base of the lamp is it will destroy the other one
Replace the contact and spring and install a new lamp at the same time and through out all the old ones

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 11:44 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the same design as is used on the V5, V8, V9. If so, we have has the same problem. Generally, I agree with everyone who has posted so far. But I think Mark has the best idea; get rid of it.

If a reverse scan led is too expensive, there are kits that replace the Cinemecannica exciter holder assembly. These kits allow the use of a "standard" exciter lamp. So in addition to stopping the burned lamp bases and spring contact problem, the exciter lamps are cheaper (Osram no longer makes that special Cinemecannica bulb.)

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2001 02:43 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All,
Thanks for your replies. After extensive search on the Internet I found out that Cinemeccanica only constructs LED retrofits for Victoria 5 and Victoria 8 projectors and not for Victoria 4. I was wondering whether a JAXLIGHT will erase the problem. Also what about installing a small fan underneath the lamp? What do you think?
Thank you
Demetris Thoupis

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-09-2001 10:14 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several other companies that make LED kits besides Cinemecannnia. I'm sure others here have alternate suggestions.

Adding a fan will not help at all. The heat is localized right in the base contact, where it would be hard to cool. A good clean electrical contact is what's required.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2001 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of alternates but I don't reccommend the JAX Light at all. It's not very cost effective. I will check with my vendors tommrrow and see if there is a V-4 conversion available. None of them show one in the literature we have but there may indeed be one available. For now you may want to consider soldering a wire directly to the lamp contact to make this all more reliable.
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-09-2001 07:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the socket is bad you will a microphonic system with lots of noise
Since the Jax light draws less current

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2001 08:40 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xetron (Neumade) made a kit that converted the phony Cinemeccanica exciter lamps to standard USA domestic type exciter lamps.

It completely replaces the entire exciter housing assembly. It is called "Exciter Housing Conversion Kit # XC-50" and it sold for $248 in 1982.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: