Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Switching Rectifier Failures

Author Topic: Switching Rectifier Failures
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 01:55 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the past few years, new equipment has been coming in equipped with switching rectifiers.

Unfortunately, we have had a higher-than-average failure rate with these things.

Fortunately, they are a lot lighter than their reactive-type counterparts, as simply carrying around a pocketfull of diodes is no longer the answer to getting the rectifier up and running again. It is usually necessary to change out the entire rectifier.

I am curious as to your experience with these types of rectifiers, and also if you do the repairs in your own shop or send them back to the manufacturer.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-08-2001 04:34 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what might be causing your problem, as there is not enough information as what the problem might be.

But I don't know anybody in their right mind would even want to repair those things in the field.

I temporarly replace them with a simple standard rectifier, and send the switcher back on a repair-exchange basis. It is very cost effective.

However, I only had one fail.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 09:48 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly the power MOSFET transistors fail (either by shorting or going open---they are static sensitive). Keep a few of those handy for do-it-yourself repairs.

I've seen some switching supplies that had either the input varistors or the .47 mfd @ 250 volt input capacitors SHORTED!

Sending the power supply back to the factory can sometimes take a month or more to get it back---and there's no guarantee that it will work when you get it back either.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-08-2001 05:02 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boss tells me the reason why they call them "switching" rectifiers is because you will always be "switching" them out!

John T. Mellor
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 10:43 PM      Profile for John T. Mellor   Email John T. Mellor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the problems come from the ignighter Strong is using dc ingnighters and I have switched them out at a22 plex I service at least two times on each console and the theater is less than two years old. The ignighter takes to long to build a charge to ignight the bulb and the switcher then quits . You may want to call strong and see what they have to say
John

Francis Casey
Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 11:04 PM      Profile for Francis Casey   Email Francis Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a lot of switchers in our circuit mostly in newer Strong consoles . We have probably had about 8 go out in the last 3 or 4 years .We just ship them back to strong .Every new multiplex we build has a spare switcher or two in some cases .Some are of the hard wired type and others use the mil style connector . About 2/3 are 2-3kw units and the rest are 4-5kw . We have one 7k in use at our Imax for 35mm presentations (it fills the entire 70foot width in flat and scope .
Francis

Richard Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2001 12:36 AM      Profile for Richard Tucker   Email Richard Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had good luck fixing the older-style hard-wired switchers. Sometimes it is a burned wire or bad connection which is obvious as soon as you remove the cover. Sometimes just the fan is clogged, causing the thermals to cut out. One of them had a bad contactor which was sticky. I simply disassembled the contactor and cleaned it . (Turned out they had a roof leak right over the rectifier. Amazing they didn't burn down the building.) The newer style have LED's to supposedly tell you what is wrong, but that doesn't mean they are easier to repair in the field. However, as a rule of thumb I never send one back until I at least open it up for a look.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: