Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Slide Projectors on Christie Automation

Author Topic: Slide Projectors on Christie Automation
Tal Marks
Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2001 12:30 AM      Profile for Tal Marks   Author's Homepage   Email Tal Marks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.
We are having problems with some of our slide projectors turning on in the middle of the feature. The projectors are connected to the "Auto Option 1" switch on the Christie console. We thought the had the problem licked by replacing bad relays on the automation board, but eventually, they started coming on regardless of a good or bad relay. It's unpredictable as to when they'll come on (either 5 minutes into the trailers or and hour into the feature). It's a real hassle turning them on & off in between intermissions.
I was hoping anyone might have some suggestions or experience with this situation. Four out of our 12 projectors now have this problem.

Thanks

Tal.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2001 07:27 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a highly practical solution, but it requires the services of an electrician. The way mine are set up is to have the power outlet for the slide projector wired into the projector motor. When power flows into the motor, when you press 'START', power is killed to this particular outlet. Never mess with a slide projector again. Of course, these abrupt shut-offs could lead to shortened slide projector bulb life. It's kind of a trade-off.

-Mike

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-07-2001 08:37 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will have to get a copy of the electrical schematic and trace the problem down (or have someone who knows a bit about electronics do it.)

It seems a bit strange that four of the automations would do this.... did anyone work on them recently? Did all four start having this problem at the same time?

I don't think simply cutting the power to the slide projector will affect the bulb life. Abruptly powering on sometimes does, which is why they made resistors for light bulbs (they are coin shaped disks that you put into a light socket) to limit the initial current flow.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-07-2001 08:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you tying the power of your slide projectors directly to the automation? This automation looks like it was made by Kelmar and is the equivalent of the Series 5 or Series 7. The relays for powering that option are not up to the current load of a slide projector...Normally it is wise to buffer the system with a proper relay.

I haven't studied the diagram for this auto in a while but Kelmar normally uses a set of three relays for the hold on this one...there is the Exciter, Failsafe and C/O close. The C/O close is often the culprit since it has high current contacts but is only holding a very low current relay. The resistance in the contacts can be enough to allow the exciter lamp relay and the others to drop out mid show.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-07-2001 11:02 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do have the slide projectors set up using the projector motor as the souce to kill the power. You have to remember that if you have the habbit of turning the motor on and off when threading. This will lead to shortened life of the slide projector bulb. You must learn to forget this habbit and thread machine so it is at the point you want to start the show.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-07-2001 06:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Better yet, find the problem and fix the automaton and, if necessary, buffer the slide projector. Connecting the slide projector relay to the motor circuit is a bit of an extreme reaction and a sloppy solution, in my opinion.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2001 09:14 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at a theatre that had the slide projectors connected with the "Motor" switch and I did not like it. I think it makes the presentation look sloppy, why? you ask Because most Automation systems start the motor and lamp but have around a 7 second delay before they open the dowser. This causes a gap where there is nothing on the screen.

------------------
--Sean McKinnon
Asst. Manager/Projectionist
Gloucester Cinema 1-2-3

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: