Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Move over TES reels from hell...announcing the new and improved cores from hell! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Move over TES reels from hell...announcing the new and improved cores from hell!
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-04-2001 03:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's right, the standard 4 inch core design that has been in use since 1993 with the clip together reels has now been redesigned...for some stupid and unknown reason. Now projectionists worldwide can stop complaining about the TES reels from hell and start complaining about the new cores from hell.

In the picture below, take note of the 4 drive-pin holes in the reel. This came from the Technicolor depot on a print made at the Technicolor lab.

Now take a closer look at the core inside the reel. Does anyone see a problem here?

The blue core pictured below to my knowledge has not caused a single person any grief whatsoever, so why change it? This new design is incompatible with all of those fabulous broken reels already in the field.

Genius! Sheer genius!!!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-04-2001 04:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor changed it because they felt that they were obviously not causing enough grief out in "the field". There is no other reason to change this.

It has been proven to me that TECHNICOLOR ONLY HIRES STUPID PEOPLE! This is 100% fact. If you are reading this and your work for Technicolor, you are a freakin' moron! Yes, you! How else could you explain the decisions they make? Certainly no intelligence is involved. If there is any intelligence in this design, can somebody please point it out to me? I bet no one can. I bet they are also too stupid and too cowardly to even give us a reason behind this and other TES blunders.

You just KNOW that their digital projectors are gonna suck just as much ass as TES themselves do.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-04-2001 04:09 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
>> The blue core pictured below to my knowledge has not caused a single person any grief whatsoever, so why change it? <<

Umm, I think you answered your own question!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-04-2001 04:31 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the blue cores have caused problems, on this side of the pond at any rate. When prints from the US are ultrasonically cleaned, rewashed, polished and exported to the UK, they come on these cores.

Said cores cause one massive problem compared to the three-inch diameter cores more commonly used to mount 2,000ft reels over here. This is that the slot for the registration pin is too narrow to accomodate the pins on most split reels and winding plates.

Now this isn't really a problem at all, I hear you all say, because you can just file down the pin on your spool and slot the core on. WRONG! Whilst this will let you get the core on the spool or plate, the registration pin on the base of the spindle (as distinct from the one on the side of the shaft) will foul one of the spokes on the core when you attempt to put the mounted plate on a rewind bench or the spool on the projector's feed spindle.

Comparing the two cores in Brad's picture, it looks like the slot sizes are the same and the spokes are definitely in the same place relative to the slot, so it appears that neither of these design flaws has been corrected.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-04-2001 04:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get it now. The old cores caused problems in England but not in the US. TES therefore designed a new core that would cause problems no matter where it was used! That way all the bases are covered!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-04-2001 06:23 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that shows their commitment to ongoing research and development then!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact is Technicolor probably hired some snot-nosed kid right out of college with an engineering degree who never worked a day of his life in a projection booth.

Like my Dad says:
"If I owned a company, the CEO would have started out scrubbing toilets for me."

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-05-2001 01:12 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that snaps together will fly apart!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-05-2001 03:20 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the newsletter, they are putting something like 58,000 of the new soft plastic reels into circulation. That's enough for what, about three major releases? (Figuring 3000 prints of six reels each)

Hey Rachel, did you ever get anything going legal-wise with your TES-reel related injury?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-05-2001 03:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than Fiddle Faddle with all this experimental crap, why don't they just go back to the old tin shipping reels? They last about 100 times longer than this plastic crap.

Sure, they get smashed, but they usually can be un-smashed long enough to extract the product.

I would rather see a mashed reel of film than to here about someone who was hurt by a plastic reel that flew apart, as it did in Rachel's face.

Sleasy corporations, as well as private businesses, deserve going to hell if they produce a product that is knowingly unsafe to use.

Now you know why people call me "Grumpy".

So, "Pbpthbpthbthp!" if you don't agree with me.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2001 10:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw common Paul, There are allot of airplanes that literally snap together. They don't fall apart.......
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-05-2001 10:38 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would rather just ship on cores only and be done with the whole issue

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-05-2001 10:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take the old metal shipping reels back...they last much longer than 100 times the current ones.

Actually, Goldberg's plastic shipping reel is fine too, if you have to have plastic. It is these snap together reels that all suck and should be abandoned...or at least sued into oblivion!

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-05-2001 06:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Mark.

Airplanes will fly apart when they are landed without wheels, or 6 feet under the runway surface.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-05-2001 08:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the plastic reels that say "Hollywood Film Company" on them and look like extra-wide 16mm reels (kind of). They're sturdy and are solid (not clip-together). They also don't warp or break easily and seem to hold up well in shipment. Pretty much any of the solid plastic reels are good, actually, though some warp easily. The metal reels are OK, but only if they aren't bent and don't have sharp edges.

If rewinding from lab cores to reels is too much for the exchanges, then I'd vote for shipping on cores if Technicolor and/or ETS agreed to supply each theatre with proper Goldberg split reels. This would be expensive at first, but would save money over the long term by avoiding the need to buy reels at all in the future.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: