Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Brekert owners in trouble (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Brekert owners in trouble
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-29-2001 10:42 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears brenkert has tossed their entire supply of Brenkert and Motiongraph parts. anyone know more?

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-29-2001 11:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Brenkert has been out of business for many years but I think you are reffereing to Edward H. WOlk and I doubt they trhough out anything. I don know they quit making or stocking most motiograph parts years ago

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-29-2001 11:29 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! That's what I ment to say

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-29-2001 11:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Josh - As far as I know, common parts for Brenkerts are still available.

Just like the Simplex Super and E7 projectors, there are many Brenkerts still in service throughout the US. Those older machines were so over-designed, they simply "Refuse To Die." Too bad they don't make the newer crap that way anymore.

Seems like the new projectors made today are designed to last through the warranty which expires on the full payment of the invoice.
The HALF-SHAFT and FULL SHAFT law applies.

Half-Shaft is what you get if the machine fails under warranty.
Full-Shaft is what you get if the machine fails after a half of a day or more out of warranty, depending what time zone you are in with respect to the manufacturing point.

I have heard that Motiograph parts are getting scarce, and if you can find them, they are very expensive.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 01:01 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just at Charlie Wolk's place last week,
Indeed, the new owner of the Edw. H. Wolk Co., Inc. (Don Marcus) has done quite a bit of housekeeping prior to moving the company from downtown Chicago out to Arlington Heights.
He has dumpstered all carbon arc lamp parts, (Strong, Peerless, Brenkert and Ashcraft) All obsolete Motiograph parts (for projectors & soundheads) All Wenzel projector parts (Same as Simplex Standard) And a good lot of theRCA / Brenkert parts. He will continue to make
replacement parts for theRCA soundheads (Mainly gearboxes) And most the Brenkert stuff remaining is limited to stock on hand.
It was quite a sight to see, as I had seen all four floors at the 1241 S. Wabash ave. shop that wolk occupied for over 50 years, then about five years ago, it was condensed down (All 16mm stuff went in the dumpster) when Wolk moved to the location I visited last week.(921 S. Jefferson Ave) Now more downsizing to a shop 1/2 the size near O'Hare airport! I guess it's the end of an era, as the last of the 'old time' manufacturers moves into the 21st century! Don Marcus will continue operating as the Edw. H. Wolk Co.
and as always will make high quality repair parts mainly for more current equipment like Simplex E-7, XL, SH-1000 & SH-1012, Century C, H, SA, R3 & R6, Some Christie parts, and remain the sole jobber to us dealers for La Vezzi Precision parts. Aside from thesadness as described above, I was able to rescue from
oblivion a few items for my collection...a nice Simplex SI projector (Made for export only) and the remains of the only known RCA
'All American' Projector (Also for export
only) a couple of Gardiner projectors, a threesome of Powers 6 heads (mainly parts)
and several GPL (Simplex) 35mm Telecine units
plus a beautiful Ampro-Arc 16mm in a road case, 300 lbs of old books & manuals dating back to the 1890s, and about 1500 lbs of other misc. stuff! So my trip was well worth it! Don will be completely moved this weekend and will start operations at the new location on Monday.

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 01:16 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why isn't the Wolk website updated?

How can they get rid of the Motiograph and Brenkert parts? We still run Motiograph soundheads at the Skyline drivein and Motiograph AA projectors at the Chehalis Theater. I much rather prefer this old equipment over the new stuff any day. It's simply built to last.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 01:22 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken, I am sure that Don will be updating the site soon, as for the parts, I am sure you know that the Motio stuff has been on a 'stock at hand' basis for at least the last 10 years! That's why there has not been any AX-131 intermittent sprockets available for about 6 years! I think Don looked at the last 5 or so years sales data and found that the Motio & Brenkerts stuff just wasn't moving, thus in a new place with limited space, storage of obsolete parts and slow moving parts is just not good business sense! That's why there are a few dealers like myself that have managed to hoard some of this obscure stuff through the years! (Plus, in my case, storage space is cheap!) So hopefully, us dealers can help you 'keep 'em rolling' for years to come!

------------------
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 08:23 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<I originally posted this information on 12-04-2000>>

I bought some parts for my Brenkert's from "Sonic Sales & Service" several months back. I was told by the folks at Ed Wolk in Chicago, that they sold there entire Brenkert parts inventory to "Sonic Sales & Service".
The parts I recieved were NOT N.O.S., but scavenged.
You can contact them at the address below.

Sonic Equipment Company
P.O. Box 381
210 N. Washington Street
Iola, Kansas 66749

Phone: (316) 365-5701
Fax: (316) 365-2753

Hope this helps

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 08:40 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put in a good word for Eric and Jim at Sonic Sales. As distributors of my software, I've dealt with them for a number of years and found them fair, honest, and reliable. Sonic builds theatres in the midwest, services B&B Theatres, and there is at least one person working on repairs and rebuilds at the shop most of the time.

FWIW, When I hear of warehouses of equipment being dumpstered, I think of eBay. There are a lot of collectors of strange stuff, and old manuals, etc. could be quite collectable. A couple of days with a digital camera and a lot of that "junk" could be turned into cash.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-30-2001 10:38 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute.
The BX 100 was bought by RCA right? well, wouldn't parts from RCA for the 100 still be avalable?

Josh

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-30-2001 12:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I think those folks in Kansas are the ones that bought most of my Brenkerts about 6 years ago. They even came and picked them up. I had 13 of them, and I sold the whole shebang for $1.00 a pound, even the ones that were total junk.

Jerry, If it was Sonic Sales that bought my old Brenkerts, I certainly agree with you about Jim and Eric being very fair, honest, and reliable. Wonderful people.

Josh, The BX-100 was made by Brenkert for RCA. I could be wrong, but the last Brenkert was made in the very early 1950's.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 01:22 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only place I remember seeing a pair of RCA/Brenkert BX-100's in action was at the "Parkway Drive-In Theatre" in Maryville, Tennessee. They have two of them running 6000' reels w/ changeovers. I've got pictures and video of them at home.

If I recall, they machines bore the Brenkert logo on the castings as well as the RCA logo in red on the glass? Cool looking machines, the rear gear door housing is all glass. (like my XL)

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 02:42 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hull's Drive-In in Lexington, Va. still has their original Brenkert BX100's which were installed in 1950. They're only using 1 now, with a platter. The other one has been removed and was kept for parts.

Hull's opens for the season on friday the 13th....... www.hullsdrivein.com

Joe

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 03:02 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Telluride Film Festival has 8 Brenkerts in action and 6 Century's. The Brenkerts are robust and reliable machines. I beleive they also have a pair of Brenkerts no currently in use.

From what I have heard, there are many Brenkerts still in action around the country.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 04:08 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Edw. H. Wolk Co. remains SOLE owner to the manufacturing rights and trademark rights to Brenkert & RCA motion picture apperatus. I have known Charlie Wolk for over 25 years now and have had many discussions with him pertaining to history of the Wolk Co. As far as I know, up untill the last month, they retained all the RCA & Brenkert
parts they have had for decades. Charlie had not sold any mass quantities of Brenkert OR the rights to it to anyone. Don Marcus (New owner of Wolk) Still retains these rights and
lots of the high turnover parts. I would have to assume the guys who said they bought the stuff may have stocked up on parts knowing
what was in store!!! Good luck!!

------------------
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: