Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Perkin Elmer reflectors

Author Topic: Perkin Elmer reflectors
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-29-2001 01:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recieved a note today that perkins elmer (the makers of those wonderfull asian xenon lamps formerly known as ORC) are in the replacement reflector market
They show a replacement dichroic for the Super Lumex and Ultra 80 Strong lamphouses
I was wondering if there is any feed back on them. Dichroic coatings on reflectors is dificult at best so I wonder how good they are and where they are being made.
I have had some bad experiences in the past with dichroic reflectors from China in the past so I hope that is not their source

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 01:29 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, I believe that PE owns the company 'NiOptics' or something simular, they are in southern California, and are the ones that made all of ORC's reflectors originally! They originated the 'Electroplating' of the optical coatings for many medical and industrial applications. I believe they are the jobbers for Christie and Strong anyway!
I know they made the LP Associates (Xelamp)
and CFS Rentec reflectors. Anyone..correct me if I am wrong! Thanks!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 08:33 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys; Virtually all authorized Strong reflectors are our designs and made for us by Opti-Forms in Southern California. Opti-Forms generally does all of our coatings (dichroic, rhodium, enhanced aluminum, etc.) as well.

I'm pretty sure they do the majority of this type of work for the major US manufacturers -- their specialty is larger sized precision electroformed parabolic and elliptical reflectors for these and other uses.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2001 07:26 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

As far as I know all Perkin Elmer xenons are still manufactured in Azuza, California not far from the Foothill drive-in. I don't know of any made in Asia.

Ever wondered why Perkin Elmer/ORC has such an enormous range of lamps compared to other xenon manufacturers? Guess who is a large military supplier!

David

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2001 06:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PE now has there theatre xenons made in China that is why the made in USA logo is no longer on the lamps

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-02-2001 07:19 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best manufactured product to come from China is an empty box.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-02-2001 09:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny I will add to the last post
The product to come from china was a box with shattered quartz and 2 electrodes. Then I didn't have to deal with it

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: