Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Film-Yak.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Salo - A sick film

Author Topic: Salo - A sick film
Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 12:59 PM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever felt embarassed to project a film? I have just shown Salo or 120 Days Of Sodom which was made by Pasolini in 1975 but banned in the UK till now . The BFI are distributing it here. I thought it was the most sick and disgusting film I have seen and I have seen some strong stuff over the years. It shows a group of fascists holding a group of young girls and boys in a villa and subjecting them to torture, humiliation and sexual assault. I find it difficult to imagine how anybody could sit and watch this film . What do other projectionists think has this been shown in the USA? Howard Johnson

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2001 01:11 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this one, but I have hated and walked out on every Pasolini film I have ever had the misfortune to walk in on.

I have heard people hail him as one of the most inovative filmmakers ever. I think he is just a hack who went for shock value.

I tried to sit through two of his films in the 1970s but was unable to. They were Arabian Nights and Canterbury Tales. I thought this would be high brow entertainment. These were his third and second to last films. His last film was The 120 Days of Sodom. He was killed in 1975 by homicide.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-29-2001 02:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to Yak forum.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: