Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Analog DB25 (25 pin) to 6 channel RCA out: Does such a device exist?

Author Topic: Analog DB25 (25 pin) to 6 channel RCA out: Does such a device exist?
Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2001 11:42 AM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been looking for a device that will take the analog 25 pin output (DB25) of the DTS 6D and convert it to 6 channel RCA output. Does anything exist that can do this? Thanks!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-25-2001 12:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This begs the question....why not just make it yourself?

If you are afraid or don't like making "D" connectors, Odyssey products makes breakout boards, one could probably be made to perform as you need, if they don't make a simple DB25 to terminal block. There are also "D" connector companies that make generic "D" to terminal block breakout assemblies.

If the RCA connector is the hangup then get your favorite style of RCA patch cables and cut them in the middle and you have two RCA - wire cables.

Lastly, Odyssey products, as well as ourselves, will make custom cables. Would you like your RCA connectors in gold? ;-)

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2001 12:31 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
I have to admit that half of what you said went right over my head! I really know very little (okay, nothing) about hand built electronics. I know many of you have learned this as a matter of necessity over the years. I am slowly learning more. Actually, a friend of mine made an analog cable for the 6D with RCA output at one end. The problem is it's 50 pin on the other end, not 25 pin, so I need another adapter to fit it on the 6D. He will find the adapter, but I've been wondering how I could do this on my own.

What are "D" connectors and generic "D" to terminal block breakout assemblies? http://www.odysseyproducts.com/ gives me an "access denied" error message. Is there another link? Any idea what would the cost be for such a cable from your company? I might not take you up on it, since my friend is eventually going to find that adapter. Is building a cable such as this on one's own, really very easy? I do not expect you (or anyone) to walk me through this. But I am curious.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-25-2001 12:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We build custom cables on a time and materials basis. For one or two cables, it isn't very cheap, if it is for a complex where things are very repetitive, prices get a bunch better.

As to Odyssey's link...have you tried the links pager here on Film-tech? It is right below on your screen...I haven't checked, myself.

As to the connectors A breakout board is such that the D connector is soldered to the board as are terminal blocks so you can simply stick your wires in the blocks and tighten them down with a screw driver.

As to the 50-pin D connector, that was used on the DTS 6. For some reason, there is a lot of this sort of custom cabling going around....I just recently made up some DB50s to XLR and DB25s to XLR and a DB50 to DB25.

If you want to talk specifics and pricing, I suggest moving this over to e-mail.

Steve

------------------

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2001 06:43 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys!

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-27-2001 05:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok....here it goes. You want something like this:

Steve

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2001 08:40 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pic, Steve. That's a real pretty cable. I guess you must need special equipment to make it look so neatly done.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2001 09:14 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arent the colored cables laying out in the wrong order?

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-28-2001 06:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

If you are referring to the cable color code, you are correct...if you are referring to the Dolby color code, then you are incorrect.

Dating back to even the CP-50 the Dolby color code is:

Left = Red
Center = Blue
Right = Green
Left (or mono surround) = White
Right Surround = Yellow
Subwoofer = Brown

Now the CP-50 didn't have Rs or SW in the beginning but if you put a Cat. 560 in for subwoofer and Right surround, those test points will show up with those colors.

In the CP-55, CP-65 and upgraded CP-200 those colors are used as well.

I opted to display the cable in the Dolby color code fashion. Note, the Orange cable has a White id tape near the RCA connector to signify it as the Ls channel.

Steve

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: