Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Letterboxing scope trailers for flat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Letterboxing scope trailers for flat
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2001 08:49 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a flat film (Say It Isn't So) and there was a trailer attached for a scope film (Just Visiting). I noticed the trailer was letterboxed to fit (black borders at the top and bottom.) It looked much better than the "enlarge and fill" that they usually do.

Is this new, or have I been asleep for a while?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2001 10:00 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First time I saw this done was for trailers of the movie strange days. They have been doing this for a while now. Usually it is buena vista that does it but I have seen some fox an sony trailers done that way.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2001 11:36 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Titanic" and "A Bugs Life" are the only letterbox flat trailers I remember passing through my hands.

C.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-24-2001 02:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off-topic rant: "Just Visiting" is a perfect example of why Americans shouldn't remake foreign films. Les Visiteurs was in limited circulation in the US in 1996; I liked it very much--it was very funny and very French. The trailers for this remake seem to make it out to be hideously bad and not funny at all. I have the trailer for the original around here and it is much more enticing. The sad thing is that the opening-weekend grosses of "Just Visiting" will likely exceed the combined French and American gross for "Les Visiteurs"...

[end of rant...I feel better now]

It's interesting that both the original and the remake were shot in scope.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2001 02:44 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ran a sneak of "Just Visiting" and thought it wasn't too bad... but I do like Jean Reno, so without him it might have been real bad.

I was talking to a friend once about the "The Vanishing." The American remake had just come out, and I was ranting on and on about how it was junk compared to the orginal 1988 French film.

I said, "The director (of the American remake) did a bad job, and stole the same coffin shot!!"

My friend told me the same director did both films. I said, "Oh, ... never mind....!"

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2001 06:05 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of Buena Vista's trailers have been 'letterboxed' since around the last "Bug's Life" trailer. Since late '91 they have also always side-matted their scope trailers for flat movies, though by looking at some older ones it appears they use a wider aspect ratio now than they used to- the scope trailer for "Hand That Rocks the Cradle" is perfect 1.85, but their newer stuff goes out a bit wider with less black on the sides. I know that these have confused some people

Mark Lucas
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 12:29 PM      Profile for Mark Lucas   Email Mark Lucas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little distracting IMHO. The wider the image, the bigger it should be. Not the other way around. Yeah, even for measly trailers.

|  IP: Logged

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 03-26-2001 05:27 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BV did letterboxed flat trailers for O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Jerry D. Cox
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2001 12:05 AM      Profile for Jerry D. Cox   Email Jerry D. Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the Letterboxing of Trailer's FOX did this back in 1955

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2001 12:49 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few more to add to the list:

Magnolia
Pearl Harbor
The Lord of the Rings

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 08:39 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also Gone in 60 seconds and Oh Brother Where art thou trailers had top and bottom masking.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2001 03:20 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now there trying to control our minds through previews too! Letterboxing is evil! j/k

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2001 02:45 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A few more to add to the list:

"Star Wars ('97 re-issue)
"The Empire Strikes Back ('97 re-issue)
"Return Of The Jedi" ('97 re-issue)
"The Phantom Menace"
"Atlantis"
"Bubble Boy"

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2001 05:22 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osmosis Jones has a letterboxed trailer -- it's attached to Cats & Dogs so you'll get to see it whenever the fur flies <meow>

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2001 05:31 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a letterboxed, flat trailer for 2010 in the year 1984 (if that makes sense)... but it didn't seem to be letterboxed to the full 2.35 aspect ratio. Still, it was wider than 1.85.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: