Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Drop Out

Author Topic: DTS Drop Out
Chris Duvall
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2001 07:27 AM      Profile for Chris Duvall   Email Chris Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight on my first evening show of Heartbreakers, within the the first few minutes of the first reel, DTS dropped out all together. The fallback on the unit is SR-D then analog. However, the SR-D did not pick up and the auditorium went silent. The units in question are a 3 drive DTS unit(not quite sure of the model#) and a CP-65 Dolby unit. I have seen this happen once before on a print of Titanic at the same point during every show but this seems to be just an isolated incident. Does anybody out the have any idea what could cause this and how I can keep this from happening again?

------------------

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-24-2001 01:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this happen once. I think the problem was bad timecode on that reel. Each time the film ran, the behavior was different...sometimes it would go silent; sometimes the analog would kick back in.

We only ran the movie in question (the title escapes me at the moment but it was some non-blockbuster from last fall) for one week, so I didn't get a replacement reel; just babysat the machine during the known trouble spot.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-24-2001 01:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no SRD track on Heartbreakers, so that's why you didn't have sound. As far as why it happened, does it do it at the same place every show? Check the disc for scratches. Is the green timecode light on the reader bright and steady?

Chris Duvall
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2001 02:50 PM      Profile for Chris Duvall   Email Chris Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dropout has only happened once so far and the DTS reader is reading a solid green on the LED. I could of sworn I saw an SR-D track on the print last night but I will be checking tonight when I get in. However, if there is not one on it, the CP-65 should have fallen back to analog which it did not. This is why I am scratching my head. I just hoping this was just a hiccup in the automation this one time.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas
Colonnade 14
Las Vegas, Nevada

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2001 03:35 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the print I ran, there was no SR-D track, only DTS and SDDS.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-24-2001 03:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one point DTS recomended that if installing a DTS 6d with a DA20 into a CP65 for fallback to occur the DA20 had to be turned off

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2001 08:03 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our DTS/SR.D screens when running DTS we have to turn the DA20 off otherwise SR.D will over ride DTS.Also the digital step has to be taken out of the Automation.This done so if you lose the DTS for what ever reason ,it will default to SR,If it is left in and DTS fails it will not go to SR and results in no sound as it defaults to SR.D .Because the DA20 is turned off there is no sound and will also happen if there is no SR.D track.
Stephen

Chris Duvall
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2001 02:55 AM      Profile for Chris Duvall   Email Chris Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I checked my print and it did not have SR-D. We also had another dropout this afternoon at the same point in the print but it happens randomly. Some shows it happens and others, nothing. My guess is that there may be some bad timing code in the first few minutes of that first reel. I have my boys in the booth running it in analog right now until I have the first reel checked out and possibly replaced. Thanks for the help guys.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas
Colonnade 14
Las Vegas, Nevada

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-25-2001 03:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you don't have a "Jurassic reader". Those are all but dead by now. Alternatively, you may need to adjust the lateral guide on the reader. It's behind the "do not remove this or die" label. Karen can fill you in.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2001 07:16 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I know that "jurassic" readers has no lateral sticker. Also, (I had two 1045 SN readers!) if the readers have problems with timecode, Chris should see the "timecode" led blinking often.
Old readers show the greed timecode led on itself in a different way than actual ones. My old readers showed exactly what they were reading, with green led more ore less lighted depending of how they were reding timecode; the led on the newer ones are showing the same of the one on DTS6:
- Timecode good = ON
- Timecode not good = OFF

No halfway.

Older types were better for troubleshooting IMHO. You could see exactly what readers were reading at that moment.

However newer type, I note, are very reliable and rarely they'll lost timecode.

Bye
Antonio

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2001 05:20 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you either have a bad print, bad drive, or bad discs.

To check the print, be sure the green LED is on and not blinking.

Please, DO NOT ADJUST THE READER !!! It will void your warranty. If only this print has a problem, it's probably not the reader.

The SYSTEM light should blink at all times, this tells you the player is fully booted and ready to go.

The lights on the drives themselves should wink when reading a disc. If the light on the drive comes on solid, it means it cannot read the disc.

If the light comes on solid, move the discs: Swap discs in "A" and "B" drives. See if the problem repeats.

If it repeats, see if the problem follows the disc or the drive.

If it follows the drive, it will need to be replaced. Chances are you'll have to get a drive kit.

If the problem follows the disc, look at the disc for dirt or scratches. Dirt can be wiped off with a clean soft cloth. Wipe from inside and straight out, do not wipe in a circle. Scratched discs should be replaced. I can send you replacement discs. If you want them, you'll need to send me an email.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

|  IP: Logged

Chris Duvall
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2001 06:26 PM      Profile for Chris Duvall   Email Chris Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We figured it out. Our DA-20 was interfering with the DTS unit. It kept trying to find and SR-D track which Heartbreakers does not have. My projection staff has been informed to turn off the DA-20 whenever we run a DTS print. Thanks everyone.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas
Colonnade 14
Las Vegas, Nevada

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: