Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » quick film guard question

Author Topic: quick film guard question
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2001 10:06 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What procedure is best for applying FG to a print while winding between rewinds? What kind of cloth and how much is appropriate?

-sean

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2001 10:20 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you can see by the picture to the left, I LOVE FilmGuard!

Actually, I sent Brad Miller two images. This is the one he used...Thanks Brad!!

I use my FG the way you describe. I cut-up old tee shirts into 6" wide strips and lay 10-or so layers under the film and fold the strip over. I soak the strips where the film will pass. If the print is really nasty, I give the sides of the roll a single squirt trying to hit the film surface evenly.

I have a motorized rewind. I wind slowly allowing the FG to contact the film. I look at the pad occasionally during the wind to be sure that there is not a load of gunk on the pads. If there is, I just remove the top piece of cloth and continue.

Just be amazed at how much comes off the film, then, after awhile, clean it again. You will be amazed.

I went through the first quart of FG fairly fast. I've had 3 quarts now, and have treated everything both 16mm and 35mm in the collection. I Still have half a bottle.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2001 02:21 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The ideal method is to get an "AW3 platter mount bracket" for the Kelmar cleaner and mount the bracket to the edge of your rewind table. String it through the cleaner (similar to running the film through a frame counter) and start the motor spinning at a low speed with low backtension. (Keep it under 3X projection speed.) Remember, speed and tension will increase as you near the end of the reel.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2001 04:06 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Heavens
Does Bruce really Drink that Stuff!!!

------------------

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2001 04:30 PM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a product called "Webril Wipes" which are not much more than conveniently shaped pads of cotton. They come either in rolls (from which the pads are about 6" square) or in packages of smaller individual ones. You can usually get them from graphics arts suppliers, art supply places and the like. When I was in the lab business we used them for all sorts of things including hand cleaning film. Our favorite stuff (trichloro-something) which is now a No-No. We mixed it with a tiny bit of pure wax, hung a roller from the ceiling between the rewinds and slowly cranked it through.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Component Engineering

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-23-2001 04:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Betsie,

There is a lot of joking and sarcasm used on this site to aid in breaking the stress of the daily grind in working in this industry. Genrally these have little smileys denoting a joke and are only used in the extreme sense, meaning the jokes are so far out there (like a bent up Technicolor projector shipped via Airborne) that most anyone in the industry would know right off of the bat that it is a joke. If you haven't caught this one, do a search for "first pic of Technicolor's digital projector". Another great example of Film-Techers joking around is the thread "AMC retiring Clip" posted by Ian Price and Ky Boyd. Just do a search for "amc retiring clip" to find it. Probably the most infamous joke that continues to this day is Joe Redifer's classic fake ad for Kodak projection training last year (this is still joked about today whenever you hear reference to "digital beards"). You can find that one by searching the "Film Handler's Forum" for "Kodak projection training".

As to Bruce, after having many conversations with him...he may actually be drinking it!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2001 11:01 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awwright...

Betsie: If you look closely, you will see that the top is on the bottle. If I drank the stuff, it would probably knock me ou.....

Brad: You are the way you are due to snorting vast quantities of the FG "Magical Ingredients!"

I am happy to be the spokesperson for FILMGUARD-UP® A new and exciting drink from Film-Tech! It'll tickle your innards!

One of the up-side benefits is that FG-UP kills bad breath, and tooth decay.

On the down side, it may cause one of your legs to be shorter than the other.

----------

Sometimes I wonder what day it was that I totally went bananas! I believe it happened the day that I discovered this site!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: