Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Replacing rectifier diodes

Author Topic: Replacing rectifier diodes
Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 08:15 AM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to replace a diode this morning in the rectifier in the base of a CFS console. I only replaced the shorted diode and this enabled me to get the session up and running with a minimum of delay.

The question is this - is it better to replace all the diodes in the negative bank (every diode I have replaced has always been in the negative side) or is it sufficient to only replace the defective diode.

What are your thoughts on this?

Michael.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2001 09:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
The correct thing to do is to replace all of the diodes in the negative and positive sides, especially if they are the epoxy sealed type. One of the problems that allot of techs overlook is that of the diodes reaching their limit on thermal cycling. If you replace the single diode the others will eventually keep on failing! The junction inside a diode gets quite hot and can only expand and contract so many times before it lets go. Usually the manufacturer publishes this spec in their data. This type of diode is really crap and if you have this style you should dump them and get the glass sealed type. After many thermal cycles the epoxy filled type can actually become mechanically defective and the stem will loosen up. This typically does not happen with glass sealed diodes. Unfortunately too many companies installed epoxy sealed diodes in their equipment, probably so their parts departments would fourish. Christie for instance uses them in rectifiers below 3kw rating and I have seen them in IREM's too.
Mark @ GTS

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-15-2001 10:00 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I have replaced all of the diodes is when the size of the diode changed. We started purchasing a different type of diode and sometimes you may encounter some old ones so I just change them all. Changing just the bad one should be no problem. Note if you are still using the color sleaves around the diodes get rid of them. All they do is build up heat around the diodes causing them to fail faster. Another thing to avoid is constantly changing the tap settings. This can stress the diodes and cause them to fail. It can also screw up the fine tune tap adjustment that looks like a wire hanger by causing the weld to break on the middle leg.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-15-2001 11:34 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that all the diodes should be changed but I also think that getting the show back on screen ASAP is important.

Why not compromise? Change only the bad diode(s) now but go back and do a "proper" diode change at the end of the day.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2001 11:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with Randy on this. The show comes first and the remaining maintainance comes later. Replacing all diodes is the best route, especially if the piece of equipment has been in service for 5 or more years. The cost of new diodes is miniscule compared to the loss of income and customer fustration when the show doesn't run.
Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-15-2001 01:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replace them all asap.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 08:24 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep I tend to agree replace them all as soon as you can as I have been down that road of replaceing only the defective one.A week later the others started to go, so It's best to change the lot saves time and the risk of loseing a session for the sake of a few cents.
Stephen

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: