Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What type of Digital sound do you use? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What type of Digital sound do you use?
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2001 10:51 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know what type of Digital sound that you use in your theatre.Also intrested in the type of processors and weather or not you use penthouse or basement readers as well.To start things rolling We use both SR.D and D.T.S.We have 8 screens all 8 have SR.D with 4 screens haveing both SR.D and D.T.S. DA20s are used in conjunction with Ultra Stereo JSX 1000 processors and QSC amps.We use Kinoton FP50D projectors with basement readers.For D.T.S we have two portable D.T.S units to use between the D.T.S equipped projectors.The 2 big houses have Dolby EX.
Thanks for your assistance guys.

Stephen

------------------

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-14-2001 11:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stick with Dolby. Besides, just about all films are quad track anyway. Why waste all your money?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of digital sound do we use? At the Skyline drive in we don't even have digital sound let alone stereo. We're stuck with plain old MONO.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2001 11:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Paul. However, at my theater we use both Dolby and DTS in select houses. I like Dolby for the simple reason that one does not have to mess with disks, soundwise, though DTS wins by a sliiiiiight edge. We ran mono up till we renovated in 1996. Nobody really seemed to care about our sound upgrades anyway, so when our mix previews first hit prior to the show, most customers had reservations about "digital sound". A common stumbling block was the old myth that digital = loud. It took a few months for the technology to catch on as that many of our customers are middle-aged to senior citizens with no intrest in this arena. By the way, our other houses run SR with QSC 850 amps. We are scheduled to install Panastero, but that has been on the books for about two years now.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-14-2001 11:54 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use DTS digital sound in three of our 8 theaters. All theaters use Ultra Stereo processors.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-15-2001 12:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema West uses primarily Dolby SRD (DA20 and CP500) and DTS (both 6 and 6D) we have only two SDDS screens (which are both malfunctioning i might add...I plan on attempting to bring one up tomorrow morning) Analog processors are Dolby CP45,50,55,65,and 500 and USL JSX-1000 and a few Smart MODIIs. The StarJokes® are now all gone, thank God..

Aaron

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-15-2001 12:15 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, forgot the readers: All of the SRD readers are Cat 700s except for Sonoma #1 which is a Kelmar red LED basement reader...

Aaron

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 12:26 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Aaron,

I agree that Eprad are not a sophisticated processor in todays environment, but I would argue the Starlets, Starscopes and Super Starscopes on a per unit installed basis have proven to be the most reliable processor over the last 20 years. Don't get me wrong, our circuit is 95% Dolby now with most being CP500, but also CP65, CP55, CP200, CP650 and a few Smart, Ultra Stereo and Panastereo.

We now have only one 4-plex running Eprads and they were installed in 1979 and have not skipped a beat. They are being pulled out as I speak and being replaced by CP65's.

Our circuit has all three digital formats with Dolby Digital by far the most common. Majority are basement readers, but still a few Cat 700's, even a Cat 699!

David

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 12:40 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron and Dave:

Whatt are your opinions on the Smart MOD II and Panastereo? The Smart system kinda sucked, but it had one hell of a great booth monitor!

Aaron

Michael Pace
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 08:04 AM      Profile for Michael Pace   Email Michael Pace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For 6 cinemas, we have 3 dolby - 2 DTS - 1 Sony all mounted in mobile cabinets. The dolby units have the Cat 700 readers. Usually we keep two of the Dolby units in cinemas 1 & 2 and then only shift the other units around to suit the requirements in the other cinemas. This sometimes leaves us without digital sound on certain sessions due to a lack of dts discs for shows or a feature that does not have all the digital formats.

We have Ultra Stereo processors and Odyssey interface panels.

Michael.

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 08:59 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theatre we use a combination of DTS, Dolby Digital, and SDDS. Nine of the houses have DTS (es), nine have Dolby readers, with one including DTS and the SRD. All are penthouse readers. All Dolby equipment are Cat 700s (yes, with the annoying "slide projector" bulb ). Also, the processors are CP500s with one SDDS processor as well. Everything works well, with the exception with the SDDS--but who cares about that anyway.

Steven

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2001 09:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had allot of luck and installed around 2 hundred CP-500's since it came out. I really liked it allot till recently. Quite a number of them have software probs of some sort that cause them to default to factory settings and then you have no audio at all. I'll definately wait another year or two before I sell any CP-650's or Ultra Digital processors. For new future installations I'll either be putting in Panastereo's or CP-65's with whatever digital system my customer wants. This is usually SRD though so it would be a DA-20. The CAT 701 is fine but I've also not had any real problems with basement digital readers so I could go either way here. Personally I think all digital processors should not be used for any important work like premieres or that sort of thing.
Mark @ GTS

Christopher K. Williams
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 10:24 AM      Profile for Christopher K. Williams   Email Christopher K. Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of our 11 screens have Dolby Digital basement readers (which our tech upgraded to the new LEDs), and CP-65s. Six of our auditoriums have DTS, and six have SDDS (the main auditorium has all 3).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-15-2001 12:13 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work with Ultra-Stereo JS series in about 90% of my theatres. I have a few CP-65s, though. There are also a couple theatres that have CP-500s and USL's DSP-60.

If I had my druthers I'd buy the CP-65 but I have no problem with the JS series. I actually kinda' like them. That's probably because I work with them so much I can parctiaclly set one up with my eyes shut. Yes, I know that people frown on the idea of doing an A-chain by throwing in a piece of Dolby Tone and making noise BUT if you were the last guy to work on that projector, this makes an excellent "quick check" to see if everything's working properly. Once I get them set up the way I like them I find that I only have to do a full PM on them about once or twice a year. I'd be willing to say that the same goes for the CP-65s, but again I don't have enough experience with them to know all the little "tricks".

When it comes to the CP-500s, I think they are OK but I only have about a dozen or so of these, compared to over 100 of the USL. I don't have very many problems with these but when I do, It takes me a lot longer to fix it.

The DSP-60s are my least favorite for three reasons:

I only have about 10 of them so it's another "experience" issue.
    When they need repairs you often have to replace "bigger chunks". (Whole boards instead of just one card.)
    I'm just not convinced that they sound as good as other processors

(Of course my opinions could change once I get better at working on them)

As far as digital sound systems, I prefer DTS but SR-D is a close second... very close. I think the sound of the DTS is just a bit better (but that's just MY opinion -- YOU should make up your OWN mind)

What really pushes me over the edge toward DTS is that "care and feeding" procedures are so much simpler. Once you have it set up, you hardly ever have to take the cover off to work on it. To tell the truth, if it weren't for those dang disk drives failing I'd probably NEVER have to take the cover off of a DTS!

If you want to give a check up to a SR-D system you need a 'scope and a computer. There's just a lot more overhead involved. If I could be assured of more knowledgeable, professional people running the equipment instead of the average "popper jockey" this would be less of an issue for me. On my last "tour of duty" to the theatres that have SR-D there were only one or two people who even knew what the readout on the front panel meant.

I know there are people here who will disagree but the only thing I DON'T like about SR-D is the basement readers. There are so many more things that go wrong with them and they take a lot more time to set up and keep running right. With the people I have to work with in the booth, this is a significant issue. In the theatres that have the CAT 701s I hardly have any trouble.

Lastly there's SDDS. I'm just going to leave it at that...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-15-2001 05:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 1 screen, equipped with a DTS-6 (2 drawer) unit which for the most part has worked perfectly since installation. I guess if this was a perfect world I'd have gone with Dolby because more films are available, but about 95% (or more) of the main stream films are in DTS now anyway, so I'm glad I saved the money.

Disk availability has not been a problem. Maybe once or twice a year, disks haven't been in the print; usually a phone call to TES solves the problem. I am aware that you guys with multi-screens have multiples of these problems, so I sympathize!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: