Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mackie Amps

Author Topic: Mackie Amps
Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 03:33 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone used Mackie Amps in a theater setup? I've had good luck with them in large PA systems (i.e. churches, live theater, etc) But I'm curious as to how they stand up in a theater. www.mackie.com/products/frseries.asp

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 04:20 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seen some 250w units used here, not at all impressed but to be fair they had been placed in a theatre that needed more like 2500w!! I've seen them in smaller theatres and they do seem to struggle with the bass in DTS SR.D soundtracks, plent of audible distortion when the rumbles and explosions come along.... They didn't sound like they were controlling the speakers too well and also I was hearing the power supply running out of steam and the amp wants more, sound. Probably ok in non digital, small theatre set ups.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-12-2001 04:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stick with QSC amps!
Mark @ GTS

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-12-2001 05:38 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Mark. We used some Mackie equipment (mixing consoles, primarly) in the radio station, and we are not really impressed with the overall performance. They do honor their warrenty, though.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 06:08 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For churches Mackies are ok, but for theaters forget it! Good old reliable QSC amplifiers are the best in my book for theater use.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 03-12-2001 09:41 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Mackie equipment I have used, mainly mixing boards, I would say that they are one of those companies that try to make you do everything "their way". (Trimming mike inputs and patching a handle to a submaster are two things that come to mind.)

If you take the time to think about it you MIGHT find there's a method to the madness. (Then again you might not.)

Personally, I'd stick to more "proven" equipment like QSC.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-12-2001 11:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given a choice I use QSC exclusively
If you must use mackie watch out for the venting it is from the side and in tight double ganged racks it gets hot

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2001 06:59 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one QSC and five Altecs

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-13-2001 07:39 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious: how much cheaper are the Mackie amps as opposed to the QSCs?

I don't install this stuff for a living, but the theatres where I've worked have all either had or switched to QSC MX or USA amps and I haven't had any trouble with them at all. (And, if I did, it would be pretty easy to find someone to repair them.) I have an MX1500 in my living room (my neighbors hate me) and it sounds better than most consumer-grade equipment in the same (used) price range.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-13-2001 10:57 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Scott. With respect for power amplifiers, you get what you pay for. Stick with your QSC.

BGW's Grand Touring amplifiers are very good also, if: (1) you have a fork lift to move them and, (2) if you have the money to buy one.

Mark Mayfield
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2001 12:32 PM      Profile for Mark Mayfield   Email Mark Mayfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since EAW was acquired by Mackie Designs last year, I am "testing" the concept of offering Mackie power amps to our cinema customers. There were a few on display at ShoWest last week.

The FR Series has been "continuously updated" (as we manufacturers like to say) and they are seriously powerful, reliable amps today.

I welcome your feedback - everyone has their preference, but some customers like the convenience of sourcing amps and speakers from the same manufacturer, and now we (EAW) can offer that.

I apologize if this sounds commercial, but I felt it necessary to respond since others have brought it up.

Thanks!
Mark Mayfield
Director of Cinema Products
Eastern Acoustic Works, Inc. www.eaw.com

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2001 09:56 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QSC I have not had one problem. They are the way to go!!!!!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2001 01:10 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used some EAW equipment last year at the Opryland Hotel. It was unbelievable!!

I was playing for a 2500 guests event in one of the larger ballrooms and had planned on using my Peavey amps and speakers. When I walked in and saw the EAW speakers hanging from a truss array from the ceiling and four double 18 cabinets at the base of the stage... I just left my stuff in the truck, there was no need for comparison !
I just plugged my rack into the "house feed" and enjoyed the ride. Nothing has been the same since.

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2001 03:02 PM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a pair of the Mackie 1400i's when my old amp puked a couple of years back. The old amp died on a Friday night and Saturday morning I went to a local pro sound outfit who was out of stock on the QSC gear. I have been very happy with the Mackie amps. I would not hesitate to buy their amps again. QSC amps are good, but Mackie should not be considered any less than good either.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: