Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How far to the first ramp (row)?

Author Topic: How far to the first ramp (row)?
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2001 08:06 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that SMPTE guidelines for placement of the first row in a theatre says it should be no closer in distance than 2 times the height of the screen (obviously disregarded by most new theatres). Is this correct? I'm wondering if this also applies to outdoor screens. Thank you.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2001 09:15 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one theatre in my area where the first row of seats is a significant distance from the screen. It is the Carmike Century Cinema 8 in Decatur, AL. It was built by Fairlane/Litchfield in 1982, so the original four auditoriums (1, 2, 7, and 8) have the first row of seats so that the first row puts you 22 feet from the screen. The screens are 14-15 feet high. The first rows in those auditoriums are far enough back that I sometimes sit there if the movie is "flat". It's too close for scope.

All other theatres in my area have seats all the way up to just a few feet from the screen. Sitting in the first row of the old Fairlane/Litchfield houses is like sitting in the fourth row of most other theatres.

Evans A Criswell
http://home.hiwaay.net/~criswell/theatre/

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2001 09:33 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quoting from SMPTE EG 18-1989:
"The nearest viewer's vertical line of sight should not exceed 35° from the horizontal to the top of the projected image, and preferably should be 15° to the horizontal centerline of the screen image."

2x the hight of the screen is a practical rule of thumb. The distance depends also on how wide is the front row of seats relative to the width of the screen.

C.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2001 10:31 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave:

The Skyline Drive-ins first ramp is 100 feet from the screen. The picture area is 40 feet high by 82 feet wide (2:1 scope picture). The whole tower is 60 feet high.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: