Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS Software on NT or 2000?

Author Topic: SDDS Software on NT or 2000?
Scott Brewer
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 01:46 PM      Profile for Scott Brewer   Email Scott Brewer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone been able to connect to a SDDS DFP-2000 processor on a PC running either Win NT4 or Win 2000 Pro? I have tried and can't get it to see the com port. This is with ver 1704 of Sony's SDDS software. I'm using a known good cable as it works fine on a mchine running 98.

As a side note DRAS10 works just fine on the same system, same port.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-05-2001 02:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been awhile since I used the SDDS software, but it seems like I remember having lots of trouble connecting with an earlier version (which worked perfectly connecting with Win95) and had to use 1.7 for my Win98 laptop. I was wanting to upgrade my laptop to a Windows 2000, but was concerned about the SRD and SDDS software compatibility. Hopefully someone from Sony or a field tech who services a lot of SDDS units can chime in with some definitive answers.

Also, can anyone from Dolby say whether the new Windows based software for SRD will be compatible with Windows 2000?

Alan Sakaida
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 09:54 PM      Profile for Alan Sakaida   Email Alan Sakaida   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SDDS software will not work with Windows 2K. The Dolby Dras, Load 500 and 650 software will.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-10-2001 04:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does not work with Windows ME either.

Aaron

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2001 09:04 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it run on "real" computers?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-10-2001 10:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Win2000 and WinME do not support any 16bit code since they do not execute the full Dos instruction set. Since the SDDS software was written for Win3.11 it is like Load500 and Dras10 it won't run
Partition the drive and install win98 on it with a bootmanager like boot magic or system commander or even IBM bootmanager

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-10-2001 11:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...if it's supposed to run on Win 3.1, there's a fairly good chance that it will run in WINE under Linux (x86 platform only), unless it's trying to do something really funky with the hardware.

Tod J. Weitzel
Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2001 04:00 AM      Profile for Tod J. Weitzel   Author's Homepage   Email Tod J. Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...unless it's trying to do something really funky with the hardware.

We're talking about Sony and you relegate the possibility of it doing funky hardware tricks to a mere contingency?

quote:
Win2000 and WinME do not support any 16bit code since they do not execute the full Dos instruction set. Since the SDDS software was written for Win3.11 it is like Load500 and Dras10 it won't run

Obligatory nerd theory:

Windows NT/2K multitask WAY differently than 3.1 and 9x do. The NT kernel is a LOT more stringent about CPU timing and partitioning out processing time than 3.1. If a program relies on getting data at an exact time in exactly specified intervals - as I would expect anything related to film would - it croaks. You can try upping the process priority in the task manager, but you're best off putting bog standard win95 on the system in question.

-Tw?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: