Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with ORC 2500 lamphouse / manuals

Author Topic: Help with ORC 2500 lamphouse / manuals
Neil Chue Hong
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 10:55 AM      Profile for Neil Chue Hong   Author's Homepage   Email Neil Chue Hong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI,

I've been a lurker for quite a while, but now need to turn to the experts for help!

I've been involved with Edinburgh University Film Society for a number of years and we have a large variety of kit, including, in our main venue, a Westrex 7000 35mm projector with an ORC Model 2500 (Cine X-35) lamphouse.

This equipment was second hand, and over the years, any remaining manuals have long since disappeared.

We're currently operating with 1000W lamps (running at around 45A), but a change at our venue has left us wanting more light on screen (11'H by 28'W). Can anyone tell me if this lamphouse can be used with 1600W bulbs?

On a related note, if anyone knows where I can get hold of manuals for the ORC 2500 lamphouse or the Westrex 7000 projector, their help would be most appreciated.

In return, the only thing I can offer is submitting a scan of a manual for a Fumeo 2500 16mm projector, which we use at our other venue - the most reliable and robust 16mm projector I've ever had the pleasure of working with (not adjectives often associated with 16mm!)

Thanks,
neil

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cine-X 35 was the earliest model ORC made. They called it a 2500 unit and their bulb was a X-2500 but in actuality, it was a 1000 watt bulb! Depending on your power unit, you may be able to go to 1500 watts without much trouble. Make sure the cooling fans are clean! Use a 1600W/HS bulb (It will fit exactly like the 1000W/HS. Good luck! I can furnish limited manuals on this old model, but I need the power supply model too...ie: RPS-2500 or simular number off plate attached to power supply case. Email me!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-05-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes---the little old Senile X 35 dog....they came in two basic colors. Puke Green, and Public Outhouse Toilet Bowl Tan...

I agree with John. You can use the compact 1600 watt HS Xenon in those things with no problem, as long as your power supply can handle it. Be sure you have adequate draw on the stack. I have one of those clunkers sitting in the back of my pick-up. The lamphouse is in good condition, but the mirror is shot.

Too good to throw away, yet not good enough to keep.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-05-2001 08:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Neil. I'm in the middle of a rebuild on a pair of the 2500's--both lamphouses and power supplies. My partner on this project is in the process of scanning the manual supplied by John Eickhof (thanks again John!). We should be getting the PDF files to Brad for the site's manual collection shortly.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2001 03:26 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neil,

Call me !

Pete

Neil Chue Hong
Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2001 06:36 AM      Profile for Neil Chue Hong   Author's Homepage   Email Neil Chue Hong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone who replied with help / suggestions.

For the record, we have a T&R rectifier (big square metal box, three knobs (coarse, medium, fine) and a amp meter).

cheers,
neil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: