Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New forum addition? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New forum addition?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2001 02:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a suggestion to start a new forum for problems with dealers and such. If such a forum is implemented, I would like for it to be a place where people can praise things as well. If you have any suggestions, please post a reply here as to such a forum's guidelines. All input will be appreciated.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-03-2001 03:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my intention was to keep the interaction of ideas regarding the technical side of exhibition separate from the likes of problems with dealers (or praise)

I would hate to think that there will be the "Film-Tech" black list since just about every dealer could have some bad experience to qualify for flogging.

I could see this becoming a "don't buy" list.

While I feel public display of poor customer service (and lets face it, exhibitors probably need this as much anyone too)can be a good thing, I don't think it is appropiate to have it in a technical forum such as this one.

Perhaps someone can explain to me the connection between:

I'm having trouble keeping my projector from coming out of frame

and

I didn't get my shippment from Dealer A

While both may contain useful information, they really are not related in my opinion.

Sincerey,

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 03:42 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I think this is a very bad idea, bordering on being a terrible idea. If people get into pissing matches, the reputations of of the pisser and pissee can be damaged. Having been somewhat involved on all sides of dealer/customer problems, I know there are usually at least two sides to a conflict, and often more. Unless all sides of the issue were exposed, a slanted view would be given. For instance, a customer might complain loudly on the forum of slow service from a particular dealer, yet the dealer might be holding back until the customer paid down his overdue bills and credit line, or the dealer might not be able to get the part needed from the manufacturer. Can you honestly see a dealer saying in public that Joe Theatre Owner is late paying his bills? He'd lose not only that customer, but any that saw the post and went "Gee, is that how I'll be treated?"

The warning on the front of the forums would undoubtedly be tested legally if a slanderous post were made that adversely affected a company's cash flow. In a case like that, I don't think the protection of free speech or your caveat would hold up, and you and/or the poster would at least be dragged to court, and possibly have to pay damages. Precedent has been set by the stock inflation schemes on yahoo boards, etc. The courts held that use of the internet and chat boards did not make the fraud scheme any less subject to applicable law.

There is also the real world possibility of competitors flogging each other by steering complaints to the forum, and having schills post glowing reports on their own company.

In short, any posts in such a forum would be dubious in nature, probably inflammatory, and not serve the industry. Besides, it is simply good manners to attempt to work out relationship problems privately.

I think you would find that the more experienced businessmen -both exhibitor and dealer- would find such a forum irritating and juvenile, and would refuse to participate. That would leave it open to the chronic complainers, kids, and mentally disturbed.

You could instead set up a measurable rating system, like Evans has for the theatres in Huntsville. Such a system could act as a guide to the different dealers and suppliers. The problem is that such a system would require regular maintenance and input from customers. Evans' system for rating is very professional, and I would expect no less of film-tech.

I guess I've said my piece, as usual. I'll don my flameproof suit now.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 04:33 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This suggestion won't benefit all but...
Instead of the "he done me wrong" page , how bout one for folks who want to do their own "A" and "B" chain alignments, but don't have someone to ask for help. The "Tuning up for Newbies without Mentors" page

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-03-2001 04:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My concern is that when there are so many forums, people can become confused about which forum to post their query in. And then there are those where they will post whatever they want no matter what forum they happen to be in, but it won't be appropriate for that particular forum. Then you have individuals who only visit specific forums, and they may have an answer to someone who posted in a different forum then the ones they usually look at. They will never be able to give their advice/whatever since they don't visit that particular forum, the original poster will be S.O.L. and their theater will break completely down and the world will end.

It also becomes more difficult to keep track of what is where, and more time consuming to surf the site.

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 06:01 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Guttag said
quote:
Perhaps someone can explain to me the connection between:

I'm having trouble keeping my projector from coming out of frame

and

I didn't get my shippment from Dealer A

While both may contain useful information, they really are not related in my opinion.

Steve,
What if someone decides to buy from a fellow film-tech member as a direct result of the other member's high profile and pursuit of business from film-tech members and lurkers? What if they use their high profile in the Film Handler's Forum to promote their own business? In that case, I think it's 100% valid to call attention to a problem in that same forum. To post a "I don't like Dealer X" in the Film Handler's Forum when that dealer has ZERO presence here, well I think then your argument has merit. But if someone is using the Film Handler's Forum and exploiting it, it's a two way street. I normally have a very low profile here, but let's just say I know what it's like to have a dealer give me the run around while at the same time telling me "it'll ship next week" for two months. It's not a good feeling. (If the guy who's been helping me with my sound cabling reads this, no I don't mean you! You've been great, actually) Please bear in mind this is just my opinion. I'm not telling anyone what to think.

I like the way the forum is set up right now. I'm not asking for any changes.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-03-2001 06:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, please (if at all possible) leave it the way it is. You have a beautiful thing going here, and by judging some of the other posts, it might not be a good idea.

Thank you for the consideration.

Paul

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-03-2001 06:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

You and I seem to be in agreement! I have written a private e-mail regarding the "Dealing" on the Film-Handler's Forum.

I am not saying that there shouldn't even be a place for that just that I think, and it is my opinion, that the Film-Handlers forum should stick to booth issues, not deals, shipping and receiving (unless it is relating to shipping and receiving film so Technicolor would be fair game).

As an example. Mr. Purdy's post about CE's new xover card for the 3417 monitor/crossover is very appropriate since it is useful knowledge for "Film-handlers" that just might be in the situation of deciding what to do with the carcus of the monitor they own but have to return the THX cards....he even gives the List price so everyone knows the approximate cost of the thing.

What would be wrong would be if say Dealer X then posts ...our price for the CE xover card is $XXX.XX (please assume there are numbers in in the "Xs"). Or "We are having a sale on CE xover cards. That isn't technical information anymore, that is dealing...at least put it in the "For Sale/Wanted" section.

The benefit of Mr Purdy's notice is that a technician, or exhibitor can call their dealer(s) and find out their cost.

Come discuss this tonight at the Chat, if you can.

Steve

------------------

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-03-2001 07:08 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Jerry is right on about this--that every dealer will, at some point, have an unhappy customer and that adding such a forum runs the risk of giving a bad reputation to good dealers (and vice-versa). Most deals have too many details that can't or shouldn't be posted in a public forum for people to make any reasonable judgments about the quality of a dealer from stuff posted in a "dealer issues" (or whatever) forum.

I'd tend to think that "issues" between a customer and dealer should be worked out in private, rather than on a forum such as this. Product issues (like, I bought product X from [Strong, Dolby, DTS, etc.] and it has problems Y and Z, and I tried to resolve it in this way, but the manufacturer wasn't helpful) are probably appropriate to the general Film-Tech forum, since they relate to the quality of a product, rather than to the specifics of a particular deal with a particular dealer/distributor/etc.

One possible exception would be to allow for comments on people who advertise stuff for sale in the "For Sale/Wanted" forum here. If someone posts a "wanted" ad and then makes a deal, but writes a bad check and is unwilling to resolve the issue with the seller, then I'd think that others here should have the right to know about the bad buyer. Similarly, if a seller offers something for sale, but then takes someone else's money and doesn't ship the item, there are legitimate reasons to want to complain publicly. Since most of the FS/WTB items are one-offs by non-dealers, this won't (hopefully) cause the same degree of potential problems as the one customer out of 1000 who is unhappy with the service provided by an otherwise good dealer.

(Am I making any sense here?)

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 07:16 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I'll try and make the chat. I might get there late.

You've made good points. I personally don't mind the occasional "I've got that in stock, contact me at blah blah" kind of post. If the forum was being consistently spammed, then I guess I would mind. I kind of like the way things are.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-03-2001 07:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry (and Scott)...I tend to agree with you on this issue.

BTW..if you ever look at my posts on where I could "deal.", I generally make the statement to "call your dealer or e-mail me."

This would come up if through an ongoing thread where it was found that a part needed to be changed.

Many people here know I work for a dealer but I almost never use their name since I like to have my opinions be my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.I also don't want my opinions to be looked at like I have an angle to sell something.

------------------

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-03-2001 08:17 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not believe that creating a new srction for filing complaints and/or praise will enhance what you have sucessfully been able to create the comraderie that I feel being a member of film-tech.com There are always a minimum of two sides to every story and sometimes three and four. A Dealer is caught in the middle between an exhibitor and a manufacturer. God, only knows what problems go on between the two To rate an independent dealer against a national dealer is inherently unfair. They do not command the same buying power. However the independent is usually there in the pinch, willing to come in on the weekend and deliver the product, while the national dealer will be back on Monday Morning at 9AM. When I first saw this post betweenJohn and Mark, My first inclination was to open a thread to rate manufacturer's and dealers but I stopped short because it would create a division and we don not need that. We need to work together, drink together, do out jobs to the best of our ability and work with unity to help one another.

In short, I agree with Paul Thompson, what you have is wonderful,do not let the members put you at odds with anyone who wants, needs
or seeks knowledge and advice.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2001 11:09 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I think this forum is just fine as it is. I however think that if someone has a problem, be it with a dealer or an individule, and they have been unable to successfully communicate it with the other party, then maybe this is the place to bring it to that parties attention, obviosly, in the case at point, it worked, and it brought the usual amount of 'jabbering' and 'jousting' from people like me, but in all truth, I would accept comments on an open forum from anyone that has a particular
problem with me, but I would expect by my own experience and past tactics that the problem would be handled by me before such an open commentary is started. If it is not, then I deserve the flogging!! So I think you handled
the situation wisely, and I don't think another thread need be started.
I thank you for letting me participate in this forum, and I will continue to try and provide tech help for the masses whenever possible!!!

For Jerry, zip up that suit!!! I am afraid I don't qualify under the 'kids' heading, so I am going to have to admit I'm mentally disturbed! (Of course, those who know me are aware of this fact anyway, including Mark, who I've known for many years!) Keep up the good posts!!!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-03-2001 11:28 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing how quick people are to complain vs. how slow they are to praise, I think the new forum idea is not good.

In my 21 years in the biz, I've mainly dealt with four different booth/equipment suppliers. I've had my share of bad service from every one of them. It's always because they're on the road, they're swamped with orders, whatever. Stuff happens. You make a couple of phone calls or send an email and it usually gets handled. Occasionally something goes wrong (like the situation that started that other thread) but I think those situations are rare.

In short, I think problems should be resolved between supplier and customer and not be made public on film-tech, unless something outrageous or criminal happens, then by all means bring it to everyone's attention!

My vote: Leave things as is. This forum still has the best signal/noise ratio around!

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2001 01:08 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this would be a bad idea for all the things that everyone has posted above. There would be no recourse for the dealers to explain their side of the story except a dueling posting with each side claiming the other is wrong. I think a better idea is a "Help Wanted/Job Wanted" forum for employers and employees to hookup. Just talking to another circuit the other day and they were asking if I knew of a good tech they could hire. Brad might be able to charge the company a small fee for the help wanted ad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: